Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lemon Model S owner Rebuttal to Tesla's Blog Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has not yet addressed the door not opening on Dec 18, 2013. They tell me next week.
Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I had that experience in Chicago last June. The delay in getting into my Model S (door would not open) resulted in a hooligan assaulting me. I even have a picture of the fellow who assaulted me. Filed a report with the Chicago Police. The Chicago PD have done nothing (expected). Until the door handle works as designed, I am not heading back to Chicago.

OMG you get your car tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm... GM has sure got into a lot of hot water for a similar ignition switch issue...

Not really... having to jiggle keys to start... just makes it an inconvenience issue.

GM's ignition problem was that heavy keychains can pull the switch from Running to ACC or OFF... which mean power steering and brakes turn off too. If this happens on the highway, or during a crucial moment, it could kill people.

FailSAFE, is not just a buzzword. It is supposed to describe what risks the failure will bring. Most engineers know that components will eventually fail, but what happens when they do, is the more important question.

It's unfortunate, but OP's case is being torpedoed by a self-involved attorney who only took this case to further his own self promotion.

You're assuming the OP has a case. I don't see it that way. The more that comes to light, the more this case stinks.

I also find that bad clients and bad lawyers have a way of finding one another -- and are deserving of one another. It makes sense since good lawyers kick bad clients out the door.

And yes, there are a lot of good lawyers out there. People bad mouth the legal profession too much, IMO, even though some of the criticism is deserved. Anything run by the higher primates (us humans) gets screwed up but spend some time in third world countries with little or no human rights, corrupt officials, bad or unenforced laws, and you will gain a new appreciation for the law as developed by the western world.

A good lawyer is worth his or her weight in gold. In my life I have so far met two such wonderful attorneys. Neither was focused on themselves or how much money they made, but on their clients and how best to achieve their clients' goals. If you googled them, you wouldn't find so much as a photo online. They are not self involved. They try to make the world a better place. Those are the people I try to surround myself with.

A number of aspects in this thread are a little disconcerting. Although the lemon vehicle claimant may have be in an unfortunate position, and might have pursued the matter differently, I think the golden rule can apply here. Would one of the major principals of Tesla Motors accept a car being serviced so often if they had bought a car like the one being discussed. Granted, Tesla is an unenviable position in being a completely new type of car and for that matter type of car company, so they could be a target or feel vulnerable. I believe that overall their sales, service and maintenance programs are near or at the top of the industry. However, this does not make them infallible. Likewise, it appears the owner of the car was probably fairly to well satisfied with the car, and probably went through with quite a bit of service calls, etc. Yet, there comes a time, which varies from individual to individual, when the "final straw" just breaks down the situation, leaving, in this case, for the person to want to pursue a refund. No buyer is perfect. No seller is without fault. I think there should be a little more give and take on both parties' part. Did the buyer's attorney actually call Tesla Corporate Headquarters, and if not, why not? Why didn't Tesla Motors respond to the certified letters, if they didn't in fact respond? On a related note, I am somewhat concerned about the near total condemnation of the car owner from nearly all the people who have commented on this thread. I think it is always wise to judge a company, person, etc. in how they treat the less powerful, the one in the less advantageous situation, or the person who appears to be the "worst" party. Lastly, I wonder if the car owner has tried again to reach out to Tesla Corporate Headquarters in a less formal manner. Usually, when two people of the right bearing come together, a solution can be had with less stress and conflict, something of which we could all use.

I would tend to agree with you on a lot of what you have said.

However, and it is a big however, what sticks out in my mind is how the owner went about pursuing the LL claim. Like it or not, you are judged by the company you keep. A reputable firm knows you catch more flies with honey and would have stayed away from a public bad mouthing. This owner/attorney combination choose a different route and will ultimately pay the price for that choice. Part of that price is unfolding in this thread.

We had a similar problem with Garage door openers in my neighborhood when when the homes were first built.

It turns out the near by military base was using some frequencies close to the ones common garage door opener used. The builder had to get special openers (I think it was a European brand) that used an unusual frequency. I don't think it is still an issue since I added an normal Genie opener to the third garage door recently and it works fine.

Yes that seems to work well for you. Though I would be curious to know the effects that the opener is having on the base :)

Mercedes-Benz hit with large 'lemon law' judgment | cleveland.com

If you really want an idea of what Tesla is dealing with read the Benz story above.

MB tried to give a full refund, 30 days is the deadline to refund. They were unable to refund the money on the 30th and the 31st was deemed insufficient and Megna filed a lawsuit. Megna ends up with over $300k, the owner nearly $200k and keeps the car.

This lawyer isn't looking to get in the news for filing the claim, he is looking to get in the news for receiving the largest payout in Lemon Law history.

What kind of world do these people live in that actions like this are deemed acceptable?

Mercedes-Benz hit with large 'lemon law' judgment | cleveland.com

If you really want an idea of what Tesla is dealing with read the Benz story above.

MB tried to give a full refund, 30 days is the deadline to refund. They were unable to refund the money on the 30th and the 31st was deemed insufficient and Megna filed a lawsuit. Megna ends up with over $300k, the owner nearly $200k and keeps the car.

This lawyer isn't looking to get in the news for filing the claim, he is looking to get in the news for receiving the largest payout in Lemon Law history.

What kind of world do these people live in that actions like this are deemed acceptable?

WHY ARE YOU POSTING....shouldn't you be picking up your car?!?!?!!?!?!

You have to wonder if the timing of the written notices from Montgom626 were designed specifically to satisfy the legal requirement of notice while at the same time putting Tesla into a predicament which it could not avoid, i.e., not responding timely due to the quick succession of demand letters from Montgom. Sounds like something Megna advised him to do. I really do hope Tesla fights this with all of its might.