Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes electricians see $$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced being overcharged for work related to their Tesla. I am trying to get an outlet installed before my car arrives in a few weeks. I have already ordered the charger from Tesla and I can install it myself at the wall, but I’m not comfortable adding another circuit breaker in my panel and running the wire through the walls.

I’m in the San Antonio/Austin area and contacted a local “EV friendly” electric company from Tesla’s list of local electricians. They provided two quotes. One for a 60 amp connection run from my main panel outside the home (90' - #4/3 AWG copper) for $2,781.76.

The second quote is for a 50 amp connection run from a existing sub-panel inside the garage (plenty of room already in this panel) for $1,489.25. This run is about 6 feet from the panel and is going to go up into the attic and back down the wall where the charger will be (20’ of #6/2 AWG copper).

Although these estimates are high they do include the Tesla charger.
Today I had another electrician come out (Mr. Electric) and he would only consider a run from the outside panel and will provide a NEMA 14-50 for $4,990!

I have a family member who is an electrician who has estimated this job to be $300 at most. Unfortunately he’s not local.

Tesla in Alpharetta Ga has a single electrician that they recommend (JB Electric) - and he is NOT on the Tesla list. He quoted me ~500 for a 50 AMP circuit with 60 AMP cable on a short run from the panel (less than 5') which is outside my garage, through the wall, and mounted inside on the shared wall. I called a random electrician from the Tesla site to compare and they wanted to charge me $1500, not including charger, for the same job.

Reactions: skiwhe
While there is definitely some "Tesla Tax" going on in a lot of situations there are other factors acedimics and desk jockeys dismiss.

Basically any skilled job is going to be $100+ an hour billing rate, and here you have to pay for a truck and drive time too so right off the bat you are at $125-150 per billed hour. It is not the one guy, there is insurance, book keeping, someone to answer the phones etc.
Someone has to cover the labor for quotes that don't turn in to jobs.
There is likely labor for permitting.

Individuals doing the quotes will gouge you if YOU seem like you will be a PITA, that way either they don't hear from you again or it is worthwhile if they do.

Local building market, if new construction is plentiful, many companies will focus on that easier work.

Company specialty, some companies might be geared towards new construction or commercial while others might prefer smaller handyman jobs.

Availability of other small jobs to fill out the day matters, if your project doesn't leave them time to go do another job one way or another you are paying for the day.

This is by no means a complete list of factors but maybe helps some understand it a little.

I used to not understand labor charges when I was young, middle age now and I get it.

I'm just up the road in Austin and had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. He had to install from the outside main breaker, drill a hole through the stone wall and run about 20 ft of conduit/wire. It was only $800. I think those guys in San Antonio are ripping you off. My regular handyman recommended a couple of electricians.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced being overcharged for work related to their Tesla.
The second quote is for a 50 amp connection run from a existing sub-panel inside the garage (plenty of room already in this panel) for $1,489.25. This run is about 6 feet from the panel and is going to go up into the attic and back down the wall where the charger will be (20’ of #6/2 AWG copper).

I have a family member who is an electrician who has estimated this job to be $300 at most. Unfortunately he’s not local.

Buy your family member a plane ticket. Have him do it & it will most likely be cheaper and done correctly. ~$65 for the cable + ~$10 for connectors & ~$12 for the breaker all at Lowes. So < $100 plus air fare & a nice visit.

All I know is that the charge for installing a Tesla wall charger rather than a 14-50 should not be more than twice the cost of installing a 14-50 (especially if you provide the wall charger). This is especially true in short runs.

I would expect that the “Tesla list” electricians charge a lot more as they have the “Tesla” approval stamp, which often means very little. Here in the Bay area, I suspect most other electricians have installed 14-50’s or wall chargers for Teslas. Their rates will be higher than most other parts of the country as the cost of living here is outrageous.

Same experience. Electrician I contacted from the Tesla website quoted $2,300. The electrician I use for an occasional repair work did it for $600. It was the third one he had done recently and each time he was contacted after people got their Tesla recommended quote. The real expense was labor to snake the 4 gauge wire to the breaker box. Once he got that done it was only a few minutes to get everything hooked up.

Same experience. Electrician I contacted from the Tesla website quoted $2,300. The electrician I use for an occasional repair work did it for $600. It was the third one he had done recently and each time he was contacted after people got their Tesla recommended quote. The real expense was labor to snake the 4 gauge wire to the breaker box. Once he got that done it was only a few minutes to get everything hooked up.

At the end of the day, both electricians make the same $$$. The Tesla referred one gets one out of four quotes. Your guy gets four of four quotes. :)

Amazon referred electrician would be $550. That's what I see when I look up EVSE on Amazon... $550 more for installtion.

I called a local electrician and said I wanted a 14-50 installed next to the garage panel. Didn't mention Tesla.

It was $220 installed.

My friend called the same installer a month later and said he needed a 14-50 outlet for his tesla... his quote was $450.

Glad I have experience in electrical work as a former builder and chemist. 6' run from my panel to new 14-50 NEMA 50 AMP 240VAC after abandoning the 240VAC 30 amp laundry room outlet. $60 for the parts and 1.5 hrs of my time. Electrician overcharge for sure and sad to see the Tesla community being overcharged. I say do not mention Tesla or anything related and hopefully the pricing will be better.

Reactions: skiwhe and CrayZ1
I think this is a universal phenomenon. It's not so much "Tesla" per se, but the fact that you must have money enough to buy a $100,000 car.

Most people who do not have Tesla's do not know that Model 3's are $40,000-$55,000+. If someone came to your house to do a job and saw a 7-series BMW in your garage, they will double or triple the rate too.

Not even considering cars, an upscale house in an expensive area will also cause you to get marked up rates. There is no easy way around it.

I think this is a universal phenomenon. It's not so much "Tesla" per se, but the fact that you must have money enough to buy a $100,000 car.

Most people who do not have Tesla's do not know that Model 3's are $40,000-$55,000+. If someone came to your house to do a job and saw a 7-series BMW in your garage, they will double or triple the rate too.

Not even considering cars, an upscale house in an expensive area will also cause you to get marked up rates. There is no easy way around it.

Shows the electrician you bought a used Fiat 500e and the guy/gal will install it for you for free and pay for the parts and permit too. ;)

Fwiw for a 14-50 I charge a minimum of $450. Not a Tesla tax. 1400 with the charger seems reasonable.

Mr Electric, in my experience is the most expensive and least qualified company. They are just liscensing company... anyone can buy their name, slap it on a truck, and send questionable crews to your house.

With parts, permit, and labor, I agree $450 is very reasonable. Overall time expended by the electrician should be like 2-3 hours if minimal travel is required. Amazon installation referral is $550.

That’s going to get interesting as the 2017 NEC seems to require GFI for EV charging circuits.

i’m pretty sure that only is code for ev chargers 150v and 50 amps or less. The tesla wall charger is 240v.

the text:

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. All single-phase receptacles installed for the connection of electric vehicle charging that are rated 150 volts to ground or less, and 50 amperes or less shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Actually, it is 240v line to line and only 120v to ground.... hmmm....

Last edited:
i’m pretty sure that only is code for ev chargers 150v and 50 amps or less. The tesla wall charger is 240v.

the text:

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. All single-phase receptacles installed for the connection of electric vehicle charging that are rated 150 volts to ground or less, and 50 amperes or less shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Actually, it is 240v line to line and only 120v to ground.... hmmm....
Doesn't apply to the wall connector. Only recepticles (14-50 et al).

$300 seems like too little, and it couldn't possibly include any parts or inspections.

If you want to know what is the minimum they can charge you, it is $600 for 1/2 day, $1,200 for a full day. Plus parts and permits. They really don't care how many hours it is, only how many 1/2 day blocks you are taking up out of their time. They are probably busy, so can decline the work, gamble for a better price. You can negotiate with them, and tell them your price.

It doesn't really matter if it is a 2 hour job, as you have to pay them for the 2 hours they spent doing nothing because they finished early.

If you are not busy, you can keep looking around or learn how to do it yourself. Eventually get you get tired and accept something.

• Disagree