Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes offer to acquire Solar City

do you support tesla solar city merger?

• yes

Votes: 61 68.5%
  • no

Votes: 28 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, about 2 years ago I had SolarCity do a 16kw/64 panel install on a single family home with a very odd roof layout (poor south facing roof). They bent over backwards to design a system mostly installed on east-west facing roof areas (so actually a few more panels to provide power depending on time-of-day and the angle of the sun), and optimized layout to minimize the impact on 'curb appeal' (basically nothing is visible from the street). The system was sized to account for my electricity use/bill from PG&E (including 2 Model S). Their mantra is that they want to generate about 70% of your electrical needs, but cover no more than 90% of your PG&E bill (since there are issues of the tier you are in and the fixed costs that PG&E imposes, plus the net metering rate that PG&E buys back power at). They used Canadian Solar panels--all black, black face and sides, low profile hidden mounts, with black skirts along the sides--really looks great on my dark composition roof. The installation crew was incredibly professional and very safety oriented. Great care to optimize esthetics. I have 4 SolarEdge inverters installed on the wall of my garage, and the layout and all of the disconnects and j-boxes look very high tech and clean (nothing to hide--complements my high tech S85). All good. Oh, and BTW, I am one of those 'fools' who went with the PPA. I was willing to give SolarCity some $$ to eliminate all hassles and headaches. They have to guarantee my output and monitor the system. Poor output--it's their nickel to buy power from PG&E. They can fix/repair/replace panels & inverters if needed. And, no, I am totally unconcerned about the 'lien' encumbering my house. Anyone smart enough to buy my house won't blink when they see my PG&E bill before and after PV solar. If they are resistant to the idea, I will just buy the system from SolarCity at an agreed upon depreciation schedule and then bundle the price into the home price. YMMV.

Solar City share prices are certainly a bargain right now, which no doubt presents an opportunity. I think the market has been too harsh on them in regard to fears of net metering and tax incentives going away. As panel prices continue to fall precipitously, demand will exist even as the subsidies phase out.

No! The SCTY board approved the price.They know far more than you and me what the future holds for Solarcity.

Bailout for which company?
Solar City has been struggling, and has been on a kind of unofficial death watch for some time. Unlike the unofficial death watches called on Tesla Motors, this one seemed to be grounded in numerical reality. Nobody likes to fail, or see a key part of a personal vision crumble. And I can imagine Mr Musk sees something here that I do not...some synergy, some one-stop shopping opportunity that pans out. I just hope he isn't convincing himself to ride to Solar City's rescue out of pride.
Robin

Solar City has been struggling, and has been on a kind of unofficial death watch for some time. Unlike the unofficial death watches called on Tesla Motors, this one seemed to be grounded in numerical reality. Nobody likes to fail, or see a key part of a personal vision crumble. And I can imagine Mr Musk sees something here that I do not...some synergy, some one-stop shopping opportunity that pans out. I just hope he isn't convincing himself to ride to Solar City's rescue out of pride.
Robin
Struggling as far as stocks go... as far as revenue goes they are doing just fine.

I will argue that utility scale solar gives twice the value to taxpayers and fairly distributes the benefit to all.

I'd argue both are fine and necessary. Both get the job done in increasing sustainable non-polluting power. There are many solutions to the problem of fossil fuel use, conservation, tech research, local install, utility install, mandated percentages by specific dates. All should be applied with a goal of 2050 US eliminates oil imports, coal fired plants and has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 80% from 2000 levels.

Robin

I suspect Solar City will contract or expand based on original business model requiring government to mandate sustainable power and subsidize the install. If the politics changes in this election and US gets back on path to sustainable power and lowering greenhouse gas emissions, Solar City original model will likely continue.

Independent of that I think Tesla Energy (Solar City) will likely be the distribution/installation arm for the battery for home and industry. Depending on the regulatory environment, provide solar installs for homes and small business also. Likely sales of Tesla car battery and alliances with other car mfg.s would also fall under Tesla Energy, third party.

The current share price is obviously not an "incredible value". If it was, the SCTY board would not sell the company at the price offered by Tesla.

I didn't say "incredible value". Quotes generally imply you're quoting someone.

I said they're a bargain. The market decides the price... the SCTY board can think whatever they want about the validity of that price.

I think it's plausible that the market has been unduly harsh on SCTY's share price this year based on fears around the fundamentals of the residential solar business. That depressed share price presents an opportunity for Tesla to complete a relatively affordable deal (and for SCTY shareholders to realize a sizable return).

My response is damn dude, please focus on trying to get something done before you develop grandiose delusions. The Model 3 will make or break Tesla and a screw up will likely ruin them.

He is delusional. He even jokingly intimated that at one of these interview/conferece/talk things recently. But that "madness" fuels his success and ambition. I would never try to rein that in.

This merger can only mean one thing...

The crazy "Solarcity stole my bicycles" dude is going to come back to the Tesla shareholders' meeting. o_O

I need the deets on this.

Hard to see this as much more than a rationalized bailout.
Robin

Is it a bailout even if it helps spur profitability in the Tesla Energy and Solar divisions? (We obviously won't know that for some time, but I'm just curious.)

Interesting upbeat story here:
Robin

Tl;dw.

I prefer this one.

This is just one guy but at different times I was considering solar panels (in NJ) or a Tesla 3. I'm now considering a package if they offer it. I was definite on the 3 but I don't know how long I'll be in my home. If they figure out how to make solar easy and cost effective, I'm all in.