Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mini Store for Market Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so what do they pull this with? I hope it's not a gas guzzler........that would be a perfect FUD argument and would counteract what Tesla is trying to do.....

Uh, don't play that game. The proper answer to that is no one holds the ICE builders to that standard. If they use big trucks to do business that is normal, if TM does it it's immoral? Just don't let anyone try to frame TM in that way. The unstated position they would be responding to is that TM promised to never use ICE trucks for anything or ever burn carbon. They never made that claim so we shouldn't let a critic declare victory when TM doesn't live up to a false standard.

So will Tesla open a Pop Up Store in one of the states that currently bans Tesla? (Like, say, New Mexico, which has harsh anti-Tesla laws.)

Would it be illegal? Would the Sheriff come and shut it down? Would the media be there to capture the shutdown and air it on the evening news? Would the video then go viral? Would the citizens of such states then finally realize they're being had by their state's protectionist auto dealers associations, buying off the state legislature? Would changing the laws in anti-Tesla states thereby be made any easier?

Questions on my mind...

Last edited:
So will Tesla open a Pop Up Store in one of the states that currently bans Tesla? (Like, say, New Mexico, which has harsh anti-Tesla laws.)

Would it be illegal? Would the Sheriff come and shut it down? Would the media be there to capture the shutdown and air it on the evening news? Would the video then go viral? Would the citizens of such states then finally realize they're being had by their state's protectionist auto dealers associations, buying off the state legislature? Would changing the laws in anti-Tesla states thereby be made any easier?

Questions on my mind...
This was the first question that popped up in my mind. Would these pop ups be legal in Michigan? I think now they have the strictest anti-Tesla laws in the country, no? My next question is, will Tesla be restricted on things to talk about (price,options,test drives) in these banned states?

This was the first question that popped up in my mind. Would these pop ups be legal in Michigan? I think now they have the strictest anti-Tesla laws in the country, no? My next question is, will Tesla be restricted on things to talk about (price,options,test drives) in these banned states?

Maybe Tesla is taking a "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude. Show up in one of these states with the mobile store, and see what happens?

Maybe it's a gambit to draw out the dealership associations for the greedy corporate shills they really are, and to bring the debate to the forefront, and get more press for the issue in general.

So what if a few of these stops get run out of town by the county sheriffs? No such thing as bad publicity.

Maybe Tesla is taking a "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude. Show up in one of these states with the mobile store, and see what happens?

Maybe it's a gambit to draw out the dealership associations for the greedy corporate shills they really are, and to bring the debate to the forefront, and get more press for the issue in general.

So what if a few of these stops get run out of town by the county sheriffs? No such thing as bad publicity.

I think the legal case against the dealership laws is so strong it has come full circle. For a few years now, TM can just get free publicity periodically by trying to get these laws changed, and play David to the dealer's Goliath. Now you see some states changing the rules, even Texas is leaning conciliatory. Not only do I think TM could win a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of these laws, I think Tesla doesn't want to do so. I think there is more value in the publicity than there are lost sales in "illegal" states. That is my pet theory on why they haven't done what some posters are suggesting: deliberately break the law in an illegal state and challenge it in the court system.

I think the legal case against the dealership laws is so strong it has come full circle. For a few years now, TM can just get free publicity periodically by trying to get these laws changed, and play David to the dealer's Goliath. Now you see some states changing the rules, even Texas is leaning conciliatory. Not only do I think TM could win a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of these laws, I think Tesla doesn't want to do so. I think there is more value in the publicity than there are lost sales in "illegal" states. That is my pet theory on why they haven't done what some posters are suggesting: deliberately break the law in an illegal state and challenge it in the court system.

If your supposition is true, then Tesla might have to change their playbook soon. MS aficionados and MX pre-production orderers are dedicated folks, willing to do what it takes to get an outstanding electric car. Model 3, however, will have to be built to narrower profit margins and higher volumes, very quickly "using up" the EV believers who just cannot afford the high prices of S and X. To build sales volume in the "illegal" states Tesla will, I believe, need to have sales locations there.

Limitations on sales is not the problem looking forward. TM could promote an 'order by phone' concept. The main problem is having no service facilities on the ground in each market region. This can't really be done large scale with rubber-tired service setups.
--

Limitations on sales is not the problem looking forward. TM could promote an 'order by phone' concept. The main problem is having no service facilities on the ground in each market region. This can't really be done large scale with rubber-tired service setups.
--

"Limitations on sales is not the problem…" How can you say that? Most people won't buy a car without driving it first and galleries are not allowed to do test drives in Texas, so none but dedicated EV fans would buy a Tesla, even a $35,000 M3, much less a $90,000 MX.

"Limitations on sales is not the problem…" How can you say that? Most people won't buy a car without driving it first and galleries are not allowed to do test drives in Texas, so none but dedicated EV fans would buy a Tesla, even a $35,000 M3, much less a $90,000 MX.
^^Agreed. I have relatives (retired old school guys with $$) that reside in banned states that would never think about buying a car without a test drive. Many of them are intrigued by Tesla however. All the cars they have purchased they have test drove over the years and buying a Tesla wouldn't be any different.

"...galleries are not allowed to do test drives in Texas...

They can't offer a test drive for walk-ups, but anyone can set up a test drive at a Texas gallery using the online form. It doesn't have to be an official test drive event, either. Tesla has worked out a system whereby most every day can be declared a "test drive event," so they can accommodate anyone who wants a test drive with about a day's notice. I agree, however, that the inability to let browsing, impulse shoppers test drive is a barrier to sales.