Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 accident with a Mack truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think he was too close. Possibly, but I don't think he was.

If they were both in right lane, why would it playout any different.
Looks like right lane there is for right turn (I've watched the video to many times to look again ;) )

I think this was a little tricky because it was flashing ambulance with no siren. If they were gonna run a red light, they would definitely blast their siren, they are extremely cautious going through red lights, they will make sure it's clear. And this was obviously not clear.

She was ok to go.

I think she should have gone through and pulled over. In case ambulance turned her way.

I know she thought she did the right thing. But I don't think she did. I'm not a lawyer and me or my wife could make the same mistake.

How many times has anyone been caught in something similar (emergency vehicle or not) situation. You hesitated, should I go or not. Sometimes you go for it and after, you realize you shouldn't have. Or you slam on the brakes and realize, damn I really didn't need to do that, thank goodness no one was behind me. It happens. We're human.

I really doubt the wife will be "faulted" here even though she trigged it unnecessarily. Truck driver certainly could have done better to. But he isn't here to give his end of the story.

Glad she is ok, and the car protected her, and glad it's probably totaled.

It was bad timing. If the same truck driver was in a vehicle with collision avoidance it probably would have stopped.

I wonder what FSD would have done.

I appreciate the OP sharing the story and video. It might all help educate us.

He was by definition following too closely. Drivers must always leave enough space between themselves and the car in front to stop in any situation. Here in GA rear-ending someone makes you automatically at fault because had there been an appropriate following distance you can stop in time.

He was by definition following too closely. Drivers must always leave enough space between themselves and the car in front to stop in any situation. Here in GA rear-ending someone makes you automatically at fault because had there been an appropriate following distance you can stop in time.

HWTA in Ontario is the same. Always leave enough room to stop safety in a controlled manner for any situation. Now - if only they'd make drive right - past left a law and not a rule; this incident may have been avoided all together.

Also a personal point - never let a bigger vehicle or any vehicle tailgate; move over and let them past!

Reactions: woodguyatl
He definitely is, but at the same time American rules of the road can be very different, depending on the state. In some states there's no such thing as "keep right except to pass". And I'm not speaking just of the laws on the books, but as common courtesy. Some states have no problems with a guy cruising the speed limit in the left lane with 20 cars behind him for miles. California is very similar to our rules, certain other states... not so much...

Does Canada keep left even on streets in cities and such? This road would have required people to stop in the left lane to yield to oncoming traffic in order to turn left.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share this with everyone.

This past Friday, my wife was involved in an accident with a Mack truck while on her way to work. She was going southbound on a road and then stopped at an intersection to yield to an ambulance that had its lights on which was entering the intersection from the West. There was a large Mack truck behind her that couldn't stop in time. The impact caused her to roll a good distance right through the intersection. She was fortunate enough to walk away from the incident as the accident could have been a lot worse.

The car had actually sent me a message saying that there was a failure with the car and that it would stop driving, and also got a call from Tesla's roadside assistance to find out what was going on. But there were a few anxious minutes between me getting that and my wife not picking up her phone.

Luckily enough, I had a USB connected to it, so I was able to few the dashcam footage after we got to gather our belongings from the car afterwards. You can view the footage here: https://youtu.be/83VZfsYsQJQ

The right and left cameras really do add a lot to the picture. It would have been nice to have a rear one too, but I guess that'll happen in an update down the road.

Glad she is ok. The car seemed to take the impact well and protected her. I feel better as my wife is driving our Model 3 more than I am. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
HWTA in Ontario is the same. Always leave enough room to stop safety in a controlled manner for any situation. Now - if only they'd make drive right - past left a law and not a rule; this incident may have been avoided all together.

Also a personal point - never let a bigger vehicle or any vehicle tailgate; move over and let them past!

How would a person yield to oncoming traffic to turn left on this or similar roads? I do not see a turn lane.

Hey everyone,

This past Friday, my wife was involved in an accident with a Mack truck while on her way to work. She was going southbound on a road and then stopped at an intersection to yield to an ambulance that had its lights on which was entering the intersection from the West. There was a large Mack truck behind her that couldn't stop in time. The impact caused her to roll a good distance right through the intersection. She was fortunate enough to walk away from the incident as the accident could have been a lot worse.

The car had actually sent me a message saying that there was a failure with the car and that it would stop driving, and also got a call from Tesla's roadside assistance to find out what was going on. But there were a few anxious minutes between me getting that and my wife not picking up her phone.

Luckily enough, I had a USB connected to it, so I was able to few the dashcam footage after we got to gather our belongings from the car afterwards. You can view the footage here: https://youtu.be/83VZfsYsQJQ

The right and left cameras really do add a lot to the picture. It would have been nice to have a rear one too, but I guess that'll happen in an update down the road.
I'm happy that your wife is doing OK! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Hey everyone,

I am glad your wife is OK.

Does Canada keep left even on streets in cities and such? This road would have required people to stop in the left lane to yield to oncoming traffic in order to turn left.

It's written the driver training handbook that on all provincial motor ways (this includes any street that's not a private parking lot) - Keep right (slow traffic), past left (fast traffic). We drive on the right unlike our former British overlords.

For any driver getting an Ontario license; during the test (G1, G2, G, M1, M2, M, etc). Unless instructed to stay in middle or far left lane (depending on the number of lanes and size of the artery) the drive test examiner expects you to automatically return to the far right lane and drive at the speed limit or the speed of traffic. Failing to do this on your own = automatic fail.

It's a grey area once the new driver earns their license. Keep right - pass left is thrown out the window; thus all this road rage and accidents. Slow people drive in the left lanes and the speed difference cause people to weave in and out. Open google maps/waze in the morning and they're be two dozen accidents on all manners of streets.

Last edited:
Reactions: noicepls
Hey everyone,

I certainly hope your wife's OK. A couple of thoughts. If I had been the truck driver I think I would have downshifted immediately from whatever gear to next lower etc to first, in order to brake. Second yes he was tailgating. Third, where the ambulance had not entered the intersection and a truck was on your wife's ass, I'd have likely punched it to clear the intersection then dove to the right lane. It just doesn't look like she could safely stop at the light. But, yeah, rear end collision, you guys get a new car. And, as always, hindsight is always 20/20. So, again, glad / hope she's OK.

Glad she's OK and the car did its job.

All the argument aside, it's a really good habit (anywhere) to automatically hit the flashers if you have to slow significantly or stop in an unusual place/situation. Has probably saved me from getting rear ended several times in nearly half a million miles of driving. Probably wasn't possible in this situation though-sometimes things just happen too fast.

Whenever I am visiting GTA I am amazed how drivers don't allow safe following distance. Most seem to be happy with just a few car lengths at 80 mph on 401. I am not used to driving like that, for me 7 on the Tesla AP is way too close. According to my state's law, I should be something like 200+ ft behind at 80 mph. If I drive like that in GTA, people cut me off aggressively and then proceed to drive slower so that I have to slow down. The only way I find I can drive safely in GTA is to drive significantly faster than everybody else, which means above 150 kph on the highway. Because almost no one drives faster than 150, since that is automatic license suspension and vehicle confiscation. So if you drive above 150 kph, other drivers stop harassing you and you can finally keep a safe following distance.

If he's not paying attention, no distance would be enough. It looks like he was 5-6 car lengths behind, when she started to slow down, while they were going 35-ish? mph. Seems fine to me, way better than many truckers.

How would a person yield to oncoming traffic to turn left on this or similar roads? I do not see a turn lane.

There is a left turn lane, clearly visible starting @ :25 in the video.

Whenever I am visiting GTA I am amazed how drivers don't allow safe following distance. Most seem to be happy with just a few car lengths at 80 mph on 401. I am not used to driving like that, for me 7 on the Tesla AP is way too close. According to my state's law, I should be something like 200+ ft behind at 80 mph. If I drive like that in GTA, people cut me off aggressively and then proceed to drive slower so that I have to slow down. The only way I find I can drive safely in GTA is to drive significantly faster than everybody else, which means above 150 kph on the highway. Because almost no one drives faster than 150, since that is automatic license suspension and vehicle confiscation. So if you drive above 150 kph, other drivers stop harassing you and you can finally keep a safe following distance.

150kph doesn't happen very often with the amount of congestion in the GTA. Also equals a license suspension + car impound. Most people do move to the right once you come up behind them and give them the double flash - ("most"). 120-130kph is the standard left lane speed. Anything less, people will pass on the right.

Since I switched from my 2007 BMW 3-series to Model 3 about a week ago, the thing I notice the most is my feeling of greatly reduced rear-ward situational awareness, because of much poorer rear visibility in the M3. Fortunately, the side mirrors are better on the M3. I might try driving with the rear camera on. Or maybe I just need more time to rewire how my brain acquires and retains the situational awareness. I know the shape of the car is needed for a low drag coefficient, but adjusting to the tiny slit rear view has not been easy.