Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 delivery is FUBAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll add, while it is entirely unacceptable to have so many errors around delivery scheduling (cancelling appts an hour before, or even after the individual shows up), I feel for the employees. They are just understaffed for such a sprint push. Presumably they will throttle the deliveries back to a more manageable pace come 10/1.

Reactions: neroden
You are correct. It is unacceptable. I am not making excuses for them but I think it is very difficult for Tesla with their current infrastructure. Maybe we should have more of an appreciation for the legacy carmaker logistics and delivery networks in comparison. This may be actually one of their biggest moats in terms of competition to startup car companies.

I agree Tesla needs to do better on delivery. I’ve had delivery of 2 model 3s. First was perfect. Second was not as good. That one is being re delivered in 2 weeks so we shall see.

BUT, I don’t think you can compare with other brands that all work off dealer inventory. Tesla is building to order. But they are trying to maintain efficiency of production and shipping while getting everyone what they ordered on time. So it is really not pure build to order. It’s a new model, and it remains to see if they can make it work at these volumes. Nobody else does it.

Fellow Marylander picking up at Owings Mills here. Yikes, I'm not surprised. I've posted my situation in other threads, but today marks four weeks since my original delivery date. I was one of the first to configure an AWD version on May 23rd. Got my VIN on 7/31 and was going to have delivery on 8/18. I still haven't seen my car. First I was told my car sustained minor damage to the front bumper during transport. That has taken multiple weeks to fix. Then at the start of this week I was told the 12V battery needs to be replaced. They can't give me any ETA for when that will be done. I've gotten no further updates since. I'm pretty frustrated to say the least. Anyone know why it would take so long to replace the 12V battery?
This has happened before -- there's a recurring shortage of some sort in the 12V battery supply chain. Tesla needs to redesign to eliminate the 12V battery out of the design sooner, rather than later (they've already said the Model Y won't have it).

I too feel for the employees, but Tesla have known this was coming and have had 2 years to prepare for this. It is not like they woke up one morning and had 30 deliveries on the books per day without warning. For a company that is mapping out the future it can sure use some help on basic medium to short planning.

Simple math.. they did ~18,000+ deliveries through the ~75 delivery/service centers in Q2 and now they are trying to do ~50,000 deliveries through the same 75 SC/DC when the number of issues (al though minor in most cases like paint and transport damage) is very high.. all this appears to be with no real infrastructure change change except for the new delivery leadership team in place now. something got to change to solve the "delivery hell" in Q4.. next is going to be service hell with so many M3 on the road and hopefully we wont hit that problem. Actually, I saw "like Tesla" youtuber M3 damage repair video and Tesla fixed the front bumper issue in just 3 days with their own body shop which is amazing. Let's hope for the best as Elon is great.

One correction - I believe now they are renting extra space in many places to park the cars and to assist with delivery so they did make some changes to be fair.

Simple math.. they did ~18,000+ deliveries through the ~75 delivery/service centers in Q2 and now they are trying to do ~50,000 deliveries through the same 75 SC/DC when the number of issues (al though minor in most cases like paint and transport damage) is very high.. all this appears to be with no real infrastructure change change except for the new delivery leadership team in place now. something got to change to solve the "delivery hell" in Q4.. next is going to be service hell with so many M3 on the road and hopefully we wont hit that problem. Actually, I saw "like Tesla" youtuber M3 damage repair video and Tesla fixed the front bumper issue in just 3 days with their own body shop which is amazing. Let's hope for the best as Elon is great.

One correction - I believe now they are renting extra space in many places to park the cars and to assist with delivery so they did make some changes to be fair.
I think they repaired it in only 25 hours which is incredible.

They did not want to ramp up the delivery centers until they could produce product. Then of course once they start producing the product in volume it is too late and the delivery centers are overwhelmed. But, they probably do not want to staff up too much since they probably will be caught up on orders in the US and start shipping overseas. They would not want too much staff in the US once the initial surge of orders is done (that is until the 35k version finally starts deliveries)....

Reactions: Jedi2155
This has happened before -- there's a recurring shortage of some sort in the 12V battery supply chain. Tesla needs to redesign to eliminate the 12V battery out of the design sooner, rather than later (they've already said the Model Y won't have it).

I asked for another update today, and this is exactly what's happening. The 12V battery is on backorder and "we're at the mercy of the supplier." No ETA given.

Finally got my delivery status settled. But I had to communicate with three Tesla reps to get it done: delivery advisor, delivery scheduler, and delivery manager at my Service Center. At first I was offered a delivery late in the day, which I couldn’t do. I asked for the first time slot in the morning, but got a “we’ll get back to you response” from the delivery scheduler. A call to the delivery manger at my service center got a confirmation of that time slot within 5 minutes.

I asked for another update today, and this is exactly what's happening. The 12V battery is on backorder and "we're at the mercy of the supplier." No ETA given.

Go to Walmart ..pick up a 12V for 20 bucks. head to SC take delivery and tell them to call you back when they get the same rebadged battery from China in a month.. what the heck , 12V battery is in existence for so many decades and in abundance. how hard it can be to source that from their supply chain and how the heck it will go bad to start with in a possible 2-4 week old car.

Reactions: AustinPowers
Day 0 reservation, Los Angeles, configured 8/6.
RWD, Deep Blue, Aero, No EAP or FSD.

I am now 6 weeks since config with no delivery scheduling email. CS phone rep told me 4 weeks ago that I had a VIN and delivery scheduler (James) assigned and they expected I would hear something within a week.

Last week someone finally responded to one of my two email support requests. After asking if I'd heard anything yet and confirming my delivery center, she said "Someone will be in contact soon."

2 days, no contact, call the 888 number first thing in the morning. Rep is apologetic, reaches out to everyone she can on a Saturday and says that my OA's manager, Keith, has said that someone will call me "as soon as possible."

2 days again, no contact, call the 888: Rep says she sees no VIN or delivery personnel assigned to me and all I can do is wait.

Holy hell, I've moved further away from delivery at day 42 than I was at on day 14. FUBAR is right.

Here's how my Model 3 delivery went:

1. Pick up will be in late May.

2. No. Delivery is delayed.

3. Pick up will be July 10. Because we live in Albany, the capital of New York State, the closest Tesla service center is 2 ish hours from our house (not really Tesla's fault: Tesla stores are limited in NY). We arrange a appointments in NYC for July 9 and plan to take the commuter train from NYC to the Mount Kisco service center. We have to call and call, because no one will tell us our final price and we barely find out in time to get the bank check.

4. On July 9, with our pick-up trip underway, Tesla calls to cancel the next-day pickup due to the trunk seal being leaky,

5. Eventually, we get rescheduled for July 17, and have to drive a gas car down (public transit won't work from Albany) and that means only one of us gets to drive the car on the way back. Mind you, we had never even sat in the driver's seat of a Model 3 before we bought it.

Summary: The car is fabulous. We love it. But we didn't enjoy the difficulty communicating with Tesla and the changes of schedule. Is Tesla delivery FUBAR? No. But it could be a lot better.

Go to Walmart ..pick up a 12V for 20 bucks. head to SC take delivery and tell them to call you back when they get the same rebadged battery from China in a month.. what the heck , 12V battery is in existence for so many decades and in abundance. how hard it can be to source that from their supply chain and how the heck it will go bad to start with in a possible 2-4 week old car.

I actually thought about doing this. Is there anything different about Tesla's 12V battery than the one that I can pick up at any auto shop?

My guess as to why it failed... some damage to the front bumper was found during the initial inspection at the SC requiring body shop work before delivery. For some reason, the battery drained while it sat at the body shop for weeks. Car comes back to the SC from the body shop, everyone says "oops, you need a new 12V battery" and now I get to wait even longer for my car.

I've looked up the Model 3 12v battery. Its a AGM type lead acid battery which is closer to $100-200. Other than it being, AGM, shouldn't be anything significantly different.

Model number: 85B24LS

The big thing to note is that Tesla puts a real hammer to their auxiliary battery from the Model S behavior i.e. as many as 5 cycles per day, so make sure its a good one.

I've looked up the Model 3 12v battery. Its a AGM type lead acid battery which is closer to $100-200. Other than it being, AGM, shouldn't be anything significantly different.

Model number: 85B24LS

The big thing to note is that Tesla puts a real hammer to their auxiliary battery from the Model S behavior i.e. as many as 5 cycles per day, so make sure its a good one.
I know BMW requires their systems to calibrate/adapt to the new battery, so you can't just drop a new battery in yourself. I'm wondering if Tesla is the same way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sg911
Update since my Monday post:

Still no contact from delivery scheduler. Went into Tesla store and service center in Burbank last night. Arrived about 10 minutes before close, was greeted and helped immediately by Cindy.

She spent a few minutes listening to my timeline and my frustration with being in the dark for weeks and getting different information and variously worded messages of "Please be patient" from customer support reps. Then she grabbed her laptop and looked up my Reservation Number.

Disconcerting to both of us, she saw that my order number showed my reservation payment from 2016, but no $2500 order payment. She asked me to double check that the payment was drafted (it was).

She sent out an email to my IDA, told me that I have a VIN and the car is about 5 miles away at JP Logistics, and that she was confident that someone would be in touch shortly to schedule delivery before the 30th. She said I would likely be able to take delivery in Burbank as they were starting deliveries there today. Then she gave me her card so I could follow up with her.

Glad I stopped in. I see the light at the end of this hellish tunnel and my anticipation is through the roof.

Finally got my delivery status settled. But I had to communicate with three Tesla reps to get it done: delivery advisor, delivery scheduler, and delivery manager at my Service Center. At first I was offered a delivery late in the day, which I couldn’t do. I asked for the first time slot in the morning, but got a “we’ll get back to you response” from the delivery scheduler. A call to the delivery manger at my service center got a confirmation of that time slot within 5 minutes.

At least you can get someone to actually respond to you... I can't get ANYONE at Tesla to respond... Who in the hell is running things at Tesla these days? The sex robot from BoJack Horseman? (Season 5 spoiler...)

Happy to see you've gotten things worked out though it would seem... Wish I could say the same thing...

Jeff