Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 DM Performance - Autocross/Time Trial Build for USCA (Optima)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are worried, the car is SM legal as well, I wrote a clarification letter on that too but it actually was already referenced in the rules. :)

Which sphericals are you using?

Do you think it would make sense to have the model 3 run in SM? Just for sphericals?

I haven't installed anything yet, but my understanding is that all aftermarket available front camber arms, rear toe arms and rear upper camber arms use sphericals (From MPP, UP and SPL). To me those are the minimum 3 links to replace in order to install coilovers + actually get camber into the car so I don't cord RE71Rs in 60 autox laps

Do you think it would make sense to have the model 3 run in SM? Just for sphericals?

I haven't installed anything yet, but my understanding is that all aftermarket available front camber arms, rear toe arms and rear upper camber arms use sphericals (From MPP, UP and SPL). To me those are the minimum 3 links to replace in order to install coilovers + actually get camber into the car so I don't cord RE71Rs in 60 autox laps

He's referencing the sphericals in the MPP camber and toe arms. I'd prefer to stay out of SM, but looks like that's where the car ends up based on the sphericals alone.

I guess you are correct! Honestly, I didn't even realize sphericals were out in SP, which goes back to the convoluted rules structure where you can do full driveline, interior, body, etc swaps if something is on the same line, but you better not start replacing control arms.

I've run with the SCCA for years nationally, but they really need to get their rules structure together as it just doesn't make any sense anymore.

Locally it really doesn't matter, but if I was running nationally I'd stick with SM to avoid issues - I will likely have a lot of stuff next year that would put me out of ASP.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Great thread, thanks for sharing! That e-zine article you're featured in is very cool too.

Coming from a Hyper Blue SS 1LE, this is my favorite picture from that article:

John-Laughlin-Tesla-Model-3-road-course-3-1024x683.jpg

I only have one question for now. Are you satisfied with the Unplugged brake pad set, and in your opinion where do they fall compared to other dual-purpose pads; i.e. are they like a Ferodo DS2500 or Carbotech AX6? Thanks.

Great thread, thanks for sharing! That e-zine article you're featured in is very cool too.

Coming from a Hyper Blue SS 1LE, this is my favorite picture from that article:

John-Laughlin-Tesla-Model-3-road-course-3-1024x683.jpg

I only have one question for now. Are you satisfied with the Unplugged brake pad set, and in your opinion where do they fall compared to other dual-purpose pads; i.e. are they like a Ferodo DS2500 or Carbotech AX6? Thanks.

Haha thanks! It was fun running with the SS 1LE - he's a great driver but I stayed ahead of him until the final session where he nipped me by 0.1s.

I've actually been fairly impressed with the street/track pads from UPP. I normally only brake at 8 or 9/10 and roll speed into the corner, but with the RL600 fluid I was doing 17min sessions at Road America in the wet without issue. Normally I only run a few laps in a session, so I suspect they might fall off in hard driving in 20min+ sessions. They occasionally make a squeak on the street but aren't bad at all.

I haven't tried anything else on the Tesla, and have never run the Carbotechs, but I'd say they are probably similar to DS2500, maybe a little better.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Haha thanks! It was fun running with the SS 1LE - he's a great driver but I stayed ahead of him until the final session where he nipped me by 0.1s.

I've actually been fairly impressed with the street/track pads from UPP. I normally only brake at 8 or 9/10 and roll speed into the corner, but with the RL600 fluid I was doing 17min sessions at Road America in the wet without issue. Normally I only run a few laps in a session, so I suspect they might fall off in hard driving in 20min+ sessions. They occasionally make a squeak on the street but aren't bad at all.

I haven't tried anything else on the Tesla, and have never run the Carbotechs, but I'd say they are probably similar to DS2500, maybe a little better.

Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

Correction, now in SS. I think it's a mistake - I think SS for Pros makes total sense, but SS for tours is just a lazy response.

That is so crap! It's a blatant attempt to make the car not competitive and exclude EVs. That is new as of Jan 1st. If they wanted to move it to AS fine since it's also ASP eligible but it is not an SS car. It has the power of one but not the handling

That is so crap! It's a blatant attempt to make the car not competitive and exclude EVs. That is new as of Jan 1st. If they wanted to move it to AS fine since it's also ASP eligible but it is not an SS car. It has the power of one but not the handling

That's why I call it lazy, they just don't want to deal with OTA updates (which is their main concern, not current performance). All manufacturers will be doing it in a few years, so in typical SCCA fashion they just are sticking their heads in the sand for now while they figure out a longer-term plan.