Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide | TeslaTap

With the questions about charging a Model 3 ramping nearly as fast as the car itself it seemed that a comprehensive resource that folks could link to might be helpful. This charging guide is Model 3 specific, providing an overview of charging the car at home. It includes a calculator to help the owner (or soon to be owner) determine the appropriate charging solution based on how many miles per day they drive. There is also an outlet table showing the required AC receptacle and circuit needed for the selected charging solution, and a description of the Tesla Wall Connector for cases when a directly connected charging appliance is appropriate. A subsequent FAQ addresses some typical charging questions.

CREDITS: Coastal Cruiser authored the original draft of the charging guide. Tesla Tap agreed to host the guide on his site (teslatap.com). This was fortuitous as Tesla Tap added much value to the guide. He created the charging calculator, drew the outlet illustrations, enacted a significant number of edits and additions, and did so expeditiously and without complaint. I consider Tesla Tap a co-author of the article (and an all-round nice guy).

Much of the information in the charging guide came from answers to questions posed in the forums, so those contributors plated their part as well. Thank you.

Special thanks to Tesla forum members ‘Rocky_H’, ‘cascadiadesign’, ‘chuck’, ‘CST’, ‘TexasBob’, and ‘Earl and Nagin’, who read and provided critique for the early drafts of the guide.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
Looks good. I have been using the NEMA 15-5 adapter at home while I wait for my wall charger to be installed. I have been getting a consistent 5 mrph charge rate at 12 amps. Your chart shows that adapter resulting in a 3 mrph rate.
3 mph was about right for S P85 but it wasn't a flat 3 (i.e. 3.x rounded down). I don't know personally but I would guess that some other S flavors (the ones with different Wh/mile "EPA" values) probably report 4mph. My gut is that 5 mph makes a lot of sense for 3.

I've trickle charged my 3 using the UMC plugged into a standard 110V outlet. 5MRPH is the max I've seen; which was done overnight. There are several things which can degrade the charge rate a little bit other than freezing temperatures:

1) If done during the day AND cabin overheat protection is enabled
2) If you plug the UMC into an extension cord
3) If you are using any 3rd party app which can monitor your car

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
I'm afraid that mrph is a term we coined for the guide (miles of range per hour), to distinguish from mph. We do define the term in the guide. ;>
Somehow I missed that (when I skimmed rather than fully reading).

I think that acronym has been used before for "miles rated per hour". If you define it in the doc, you can use (almost) whatever you want though. ;)

A neat shortcut is that your charge rate is roughly equal to the amperage put into the car at 240v.
Why? Because the rated range is assuming about 240Wh per mile.

So, charging at 24a gets you (almost) almost 24mrph. If you're charging on 120v... good luck :D