TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide now available

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by CoastalCruiser, Jul 30, 2018.

1. CoastalCruiser

Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide | TeslaTap

With the questions about charging a Model 3 ramping nearly as fast as the car itself it seemed that a comprehensive resource that folks could link to might be helpful. This charging guide is Model 3 specific, providing an overview of charging the car at home. It includes a calculator to help the owner (or soon to be owner) determine the appropriate charging solution based on how many miles per day they drive. There is also an outlet table showing the required AC receptacle and circuit needed for the selected charging solution, and a description of the Tesla Wall Connector for cases when a directly connected charging appliance is appropriate. A subsequent FAQ addresses some typical charging questions.

CREDITS: Coastal Cruiser authored the original draft of the charging guide. Tesla Tap agreed to host the guide on his site (teslatap.com). This was fortuitous as Tesla Tap added much value to the guide. He created the charging calculator, drew the outlet illustrations, enacted a significant number of edits and additions, and did so expeditiously and without complaint. I consider Tesla Tap a co-author of the article (and an all-round nice guy).

Much of the information in the charging guide came from answers to questions posed in the forums, so those contributors plated their part as well. Thank you.

Special thanks to Tesla forum members ‘Rocky_H’, ‘cascadiadesign’, ‘chuck’, ‘CST’, ‘TexasBob’, and ‘Earl and Nagin’, who read and provided critique for the early drafts of the guide.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

Looks good. I have been using the NEMA 15-5 adapter at home while I wait for my wall charger to be installed. I have been getting a consistent 5 mrph charge rate at 12 amps. Your chart shows that adapter resulting in a 3 mrph rate.

• Informative x 1
  3. CoastalCruiser

Thank you John. We were going back and forth between Tesla's numbers and real world numbers (which are generally higher).

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

3 mph was about right for S P85 but it wasn't a flat 3 (i.e. 3.x rounded down). I don't know personally but I would guess that some other S flavors (the ones with different Wh/mile "EPA" values) probably report 4mph. My gut is that 5 mph makes a lot of sense for 3.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Feedback on the page presentation (not the content):
    Light gray on white is a bad color scheme; the contrast is painful for people with good eyes and a barrier for people with bad eyes.

• Informative x 1
  6. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

My NEMA 10-30 adapter for my UMC finally arrived today. I can confirm I am getting 22 mrph at 24 amps from it (same as what your document shows).

• Like x 1
  7. chilman408

chilman408 Member

I have the Gen1 connector on my LR. while it does charge at 40A, it translates to 33mrph not 37mrph.

• Informative x 1
  8. RayK

RayK Member

I've trickle charged my 3 using the UMC plugged into a standard 110V outlet. 5MRPH is the max I've seen; which was done overnight. There are several things which can degrade the charge rate a little bit other than freezing temperatures:

1) If done during the day AND cabin overheat protection is enabled
    2) If you plug the UMC into an extension cord
    3) If you are using any 3rd party app which can monitor your car

• Informative x 1
  9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

what is "mrph"?

10. RayK

RayK Member

Miles of Range Per Hour. Sometimes shortened to MPH. Context will usually define whether it refers to speed or range.

11. CoastalCruiser

I'm afraid that mrph is a term we coined for the guide (miles of range per hour), to distinguish from mph. We do define the term in the guide. ;>

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Somehow I missed that (when I skimmed rather than fully reading).

I think that acronym has been used before for "miles rated per hour". If you define it in the doc, you can use (almost) whatever you want though. ;)

13. Reid

Reid Member

A neat shortcut is that your charge rate is roughly equal to the amperage put into the car at 240v.
    Why? Because the rated range is assuming about 240Wh per mile.

So, charging at 24a gets you (almost) almost 24mrph. If you're charging on 120v... good luck :D