Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance value at CarMax - appraisal lower than expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get the $7500 tax credit and the $5000 trade for lifetime supercharging? That puts you at 60,700. Your losing 13,700 about 22%. Post it here with your price, lots of P owners want a 2nd, or LR, AWD that want to trade up. White/white is beautiful and looks like a spaceship.
Yeah a lot of people have complimented me saying that it sounds like a spaceship and looks like a spaceship..

Are you selling it after the tire issue?

Someone is stalking me..lol.. well I'm considering to do so because of that reason plus you going to consider I'm a union worker so my job is dirty and I starting to realize that buying this car and plus my second-hand car it's not going to work out in the long run because I'm losing so much more money driving the Tesla around depreciating it when I could just get one vehicle that does my leisure time and work time because I'm a painter in the union and obviously I'm not going to bring the Tesla to work

Reactions: 03DSG
Hello everyone I decided to appraise my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance....I took delivery December 22nd 2018, the car has exactly 7493 miles on it with pearl white exterior color, white leather interior fully loaded with enhanced autopilot.... the car price is $73,200 with destination doc fee included and my down payment of $35,000 and CarMax has appraised me with offering me ($47,000) WTF!!!...this can't be right I only had a car for 2 months with only 7,000 miles and the car is fully loaded performance and I'm losing ($23,700)??? Please tell me this is wrong?? If soo I'm furious!!! :mad::mad:

I think you mistakenly bought the Tesla Model 3 when you meant to buy Tesla stock :p

Probably 66k, BUT everyone knows he got the 7500 off. It's not real money, he really paid 66k for it.

I think 55-58 is a fair person to person price. Carmax is just giving him a auction price for it.

I didn't get the full 7500 tax credit because I didn't make around $80,000 a year from what my tax person told me that I made around 45,000 so I was qualify for about $2,500 to $3,000.. so that's another thing I got screwed from..ugh

Someone is stalking me..lol.. well I'm considering to do so because of that reason plus you going to consider I'm a union worker so my job is dirty and I starting to realize that buying this car and plus my second-hand car it's not going to work out in the long run because I'm losing so much more money driving the Tesla around depreciating it when I could just get one vehicle that does my leisure time and work time because I'm a painter in the union and obviously I'm not going to bring the Tesla to work

Unfortunately you already paid for a massive share of that depreciation the moment you drove away in your car. If you want to get some value for that depreciation, keep and enjoy your car.

A while back, Carmax wouldn’t even take a Tesla. My guess is that they are not set up to deal with electric cars now, and they are just lowballing you because they aren’t that interested in your car.

They have quite a few on their lot last I checked...maybe too many. They adjust their offers according to what inventory they need. They pay more than wholesale so they are stuck with what they buy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
If I were considering a used Model 3, I would look at the net price the car sold for after federal and CA tax credits, and then subtract 10-15% depending on how many miles it had on it. I see so many listings for used M3s that effectively sell for more than a new one after factoring in credits.

In Orange County I’m eligible for the $3,750 federal credit, $2,500 CA rebate, and $1,000 SCE credit (the SCE credit would be available on a used model too). And of course the price of an M3 has dropped by $3,100 since the tax credits were cut in half, so in effect I could buy a new one today for only $100 more than I would have paid if I had bought it by 12/31/18. I wonder what the used M3s are really selling for as opposed to what the unrealistic ask prices are.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid

Haha no. Your username just stuck out from that thread and was surprised you were getting quotes when it seemed new tires fixed your concern with the car. Best of luck on whatever you decide!

Reactions: Halloween81
I would imagine the quantity of Tesla out there now has hurt the price also. I bought a P85D for 71k eight months ago. Just a few months later they are selling for 55. There are so many Teslas, we need time for the rush of inventory to settle down.

I didn't get the full 7500 tax credit because I didn't make around $80,000 a year from what my tax person told me that I made around 45,000 so I was qualify for about $2,500 to $3,000.. so that's another thing I got screwed from..ugh

Pardon me sir, but I do think you're overextending yourself financially. Correcting that is a good thing, and I hope you get $$$ for it.... BTW, Envious, as I'm a cheapskate and only have a good ol' LR Model 3.

The tax incentives really complicate used pricing, especially for someplace like Carmax that works nationwide. Buyers in different states paid different effective prices. Add to that the income impact to the federal incentive and the reduction in that incentive, and effective pricing is all over the place. I doubt many M3 sellers will be happy selling to Carmax so early.