Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance value at CarMax - appraisal lower than expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you need a new accountant unless you are paying 10% tax rate

why?

im guessing "around 45k" is more like 43000. minus 12000 std deduction = 31000 taxable income filing single is a 12% tax bracket

10% on the first 9525 = $952.50
12% on the rest 21475 = $2577

total tax bill $3529.50 with no other credits/deductions which he may have had

They did the same with me. $47k with 500 miles on it. Best part was their system is misconfigured so it is using the S/X VIN decoder and cannot actually identify a Performance configuration of a 3. Only showing them the purchase contract and Track Mode in Settings solved that.

There is nothing in the VIN to identify it as a performance model...

Relax. Carmax and the likes give a really low offer. It's actually in line with what Tesla offered me. They me $43k for my two month old DM non P w/ 1500 miles (in which I bought for $56k). I sold it privately two days later for $52k. If you want to sell your car, do it privately.

I’ve sold cars to Carmax in the past for private party valuations.

I’ve verified the valuation by attempting private party sale at the same time.

I don’t think Carmax handles Tesla’s very well so the lower offers reflect the arbitrage difficulties they have on converting the purchase. They have to SELL it after buying it.

Reactions: Magnets!
Relax. Carmax and the likes always give low offers. It's actually in line with what Tesla offered me. They offered me $43k for my two month old DM non P w/ 1500 miles (in which I bought for $57k or $64k otd). I sold it privately two days later for $52k. If you want to sell your car, do it privately.

Thanks for the info.. I actually have it on eBay as we speak and I have a few bids already going for $42,000, so far so good:):)

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Hello everyone I decided to appraise my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance....I took delivery December 22nd 2018, the car has exactly 7493 miles on it with pearl white exterior color, white leather interior fully loaded with enhanced autopilot.... the car price is $73,200 with destination doc fee included and my down payment of $35,000 and CarMax has appraised me with offering me ($47,000) WTF!!!...this can't be right I only had a car for 2 months with only 7,000 miles and the car is fully loaded performance and I'm losing ($23,700)??? Please tell me this is wrong?? If soo I'm furious!!! :mad::mad:

Attachments

• 20190223_172811.jpg
    20190223_172811.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 90
Hello everyone I decided to appraise my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance....I took delivery December 22nd 2018, the car has exactly 7493 miles on it with pearl white exterior color, white leather interior fully loaded with enhanced autopilot.... the car price is $73,200 with destination doc fee included and my down payment of $35,000 and CarMax has appraised me with offering me ($47,000) WTF!!!...this can't be right I only had a car for 2 months with only 7,000 miles and the car is fully loaded performance and I'm losing ($23,700)??? Please tell me this is wrong?? If soo I'm furious!!! :mad::mad:
Remember to knock off the $7500 tax credit that the next driver can’t file for. So the difference of $16,000 is not quite as bad and you will always make more, but have more hassle if you sell yourself.

If what I'm reading here is true, and Carmax is unable to identify trim, then theoretically, I should be getting a 47k appraisal for my "2018 Model 3 4DR Sedan" (LR RWD) as well, which for me would be a steal of a deal. I paid 56k for it and will be eligible for the full 7500 credit refund. I didn't pay sales tax because it doesn't exist in NH. So I'd be out $1500.

If I didn't get EAP, I'd be pocketing money at 47k.

Reactions: Halloween81