Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance vs BMW M3 - The Mic Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skidpad numbers are different too:

BMW M3 pulls .99g where the Tesla pulls .94g (Motortrend numbers)
I've seen 0.95 for Model 3 on Motortrend's site and 0.98 for the BMW with the competition package.

Skidpad isn't everything though. Curiously, the more powerful Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio has a skidpad of 0.98 and the Model 3 will both out accelerate and out brake it. Cornering is where the alfa can make up some time.

Always an interesting read: War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - MotorTrend

I calculated that my yearly gas an oil savings from buying my P3D instead of the M3 I was going to buy is right at $2k.
You know this and I know this, but they should be trumpeting this in the channels that gear heads who may not be so aware frequent. I think articles like the motortrend track mode review go a long way.
Tesla Model 3 Performance Track Mode (Release Version): Ludicrous Handling - MotorTrend
Hard to say. Some of the car guys are figuring it out just by going to racing events. I've owned a BMW before myself and was days away from ordering an M3 when I was invited to order the P3D.

On the other hand, we all know that a lot of this stuff is perception. BMW is known for performance and being the ultimate driving machine. Marketing is extremely powerful stuff and basically brainwashes people.

Everyone I know that's owned a BMW has had major powertrain issues.
We have owned 3 BMW's over the years, the only one we kept passed the warranty period costs us over 7k in repairs the following 6 months after the warranty expired, I wanted to sell the car for 20k a couple months before the warranty expired but my wife loved the car, it was paid off and we decided to keep it, 8 months later and a 7k lighter wallet we sold it for 13k, in this instance it cost 14k to drive it another 8 months.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffK
They don't call them BreakMyWallet for nothing! Simply put our BMW ownership experience was the horrific. I have never owned a car that broke down so much in my life. My wife and I celebrated after trading that shxt box in. That was 10 years ago and we have yet to buy another BMW.

Reactions: commasign
I have owned/leased four BMW vehicles over the past seven years and am about to receive another lease vehicle for my wife.

I've had very little trouble with any of them. Neither of my 3 series cars ever required any mechanical work and when my wife's car threw a check engine light the shop had it for two days to replace a valve cover which was a part recall and was covered under the warranty.

FWIW I've had far more minor issues with my Tesla Model 3 than with any of the BMW products I have owned. I have never owned a BMW long term so can't comment on how well it will fare over 10 years but we also don't know how Teslas fare over that length of time either.

That's the thing about anecdotal evidence, everyone's experience is different. JD Power, CR and others do a decent job of comparing quality and maintenance issues between brands.

I have owned/leased four BMW vehicles over the past seven years and am about to receive another lease vehicle for my wife.

I've had very little trouble with any of them. Neither of my 3 series cars ever required any mechanical work and when my wife's car threw a check engine light the shop had it for two days to replace a valve cover which was a part recall and was covered under the warranty.

FWIW I've had far more minor issues with my Tesla Model 3 than with any of the BMW products I have owned. I have never owned a BMW long term so can't comment on how well it will fare over 10 years but we also don't know how Teslas fare over that length of time either.

That's the thing about anecdotal evidence, everyone's experience is different. JD Power, CR and others do a decent job of comparing quality and maintenance issues between brands.

Own one out of warranty and you will see why these cars are not made to last. Ours was perfect up until the warranty ended. It wasn't even 1 week after the warranty ended that the suspension needed rebuilding and the cooling system had bursted and left my wife stranded. After we got that fix, it was always something every month up until we traded that turd in. BMW's are leasers, it's not a car you own out of warranty. Pop the hood on any new BMW and it's nothing but cheap plastic everywhere. Not exactly confidence inspiring that quality materials were used on important subsystems.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wenkan

To be completely fair and balanced only 2 of the 3 BMW's we owned had problems, the 2007 750i and the 2008 535i and one was under warranty the whole time we owned it (the 2008) the 2014 535d was a lease (our first and only leased car) and in 3 years, 22k miles it was flawless, only needed regular maintenance, that being said our 2018 LR RWD model 3 is a few hundred short of 22k miles and her first B day is still a couple weeks away and has never seen a service, I guess what I'm saying is based on the mileage we seem to be enjoying our model 3 three times as much as our last BMW!

I've owned 4 BMW's and have enjoyed every one with no problems. Our current X5 35D has 75K+ miles on it with absolutely no issues. I have had plenty of people that I have worked with that BMW's are nothing but problems etc....never had an issue. Now as to if a M3 is more fun than a Model3 in my mind that is purely subjective. There are plenty of people that will argue for hours on the BMW forums about what makes their car more enjoyable..... exhaust noise, manual vs DCT, NA vs turbo, even inline 6 vs V8. It's all subjective and opinions. Numbers wise the two cars are incredibly close in performance. Factor in cost and to me its a no brainer decision and my dream car has been a BMW M3 since 2001. I get the performance without having to go to the gas station.....yeah Model 3 for me.

I've owned 4 BMW's and have enjoyed every one with no problems.
Own one out of warranty and you will see why these cars are not made to last. [...]BMW's are leasers, it's not a car you own out of warranty.

There is no need to be over-generalize from one bad apple.
I've owned both BMWs and EVs for many years.
Tracked most of them - that's the only way to learn car's limits, and sharpen your own skill set to be safe on the road.

Bought my first bimmer ~25 years ago, sold many years later with 256K miles on the odometer with the original drive-train in perfect working order (engine, tranny, diff). The depreciation was less than $1.5K/year over the lifespan - best value car I ever owned.

Any car can break, and all require periodic maintenance to last.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but if you don't maintain your Tesla, it will have problems down the road as miles stack up as well !

Lloyd said said:
Skidpad numbers are different too:
BMW M3 pulls .99g where the Tesla pulls .94g (Motortrend numbers)

i wonder what the number would be if the car was wrapped in 265mm tires instead of 235's.

Wider tire would definitely help TM3's skid pad numbers and overall handling, but would generate an additional economy hit.

TM3P already has lower range than TM3 LR due to sticker tires.

a

Last edited:
I'm happy that I've always hated BMW. :)

Not a pleasant burden to carry ...

no_hate.jpg

I think the driver is a little full of it regarding drifting. I've had no problems making my P3D drift on street or on track. But then I'm used to drifting AWD vehicles having come from an Audi S4.

The Top Gear tester is a very mediocre driver.
I know he had Model 3 Performance coming out on top at the end, so we like him for that.

But he managed to spin M3P off road at speed, couldn't drift either M3P or BMW ///M3 worth anything, and drove ///M3 with MDM traction control ON all the time like a green-group DE student.

Give the two cars to Randy Pobst, and we'll know what's what!

a

P.S.: It's sad how far Top Gear has fallen since Jeremy Clarkson & gang had departed the show

Reactions: caskater47