TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 Steering Wheel not centre on delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Khoa64, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

I just received the model 3 delivery yesterday and have been driving for 2 days now. I noticed that the steering wheel is not centre and when I adjust to the middle, the car veers to the left. Does anyone else have the same problem with the steering wheel not being centre. If so, were you able to get it fixed by the service centre?

2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

That's an easy fix. The service center should be able to fix that in 2 min.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

Amazing! Glad to know that this issue can be fixed. I booked a service appointment already.

4. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

Yeah my wife's model X had this problem. They fixed it quickly.

• Like x 1
  5. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

I hope so. I have an appointment next Thursday. Will keep everyone posted.

6. F_T_K

F_T_K Member

Serious question: Is this something they adjust through the touchscreen, or is this a 'physical' fix?

7. jelly

jelly Member

I think this requires an alignment and isn't a two minute fix.

I have the same issue.

8. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Physical fix. They pull the wheel, re-center it and fasten it again

9. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

I got it "fixed" at a service centre but I still see the same issue so I'm not sure what they did but I will be contacting them again and bringing it in again.

10. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Can be both alignment of the actual steering bits (tie rod ends etc) and/or the wheel not centered when alignment was done and so it can be repositioned on the steering shaft (column)

They should fix it for you..

11. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Same here, they did a "4 wheel alignment", all I need was a steering wheel alignment. They got it about 1/2 the way aligned. I will nag them about it "if" I ever bring it in for service.

12. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

I'm happy to report back that I took the car back to a different service centre while I was in for some other work and the tech did mention that during his diagnosis, he noticed the steering column was off by a few degrees and applied a fix to put it at centre. Once I got the car back, I noticed that the steering wheel was centred, but the car was pulling to the right side of the road while driving. I immediately took it back and the tech explained that the car would need to reset itself and learn your driving habits to reset the pull to the right. He offered to do it for me and asked if I would like to do it myself. To do it myself, he mentioned that I would need to drive it on a straight road for 20 minutes, get out of the car, lock it using the key card, wait 5 minutes then get back in and drive. I would need to do this 3 times for the car to straighten up. So far I've done this twice and noticed it's starting to straighten up and have less pull to the right. I am happy however that the steering wheel is straight now. Thanks all for your comments.

PS: Also mention that it was pretty cool that the tech hooked up his computer to the car and can see on a line graph how straight the car was going and the steering column alignment.

• Informative x 2