TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model 3 vs Chevrolet Bolt Video Review

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vortexz, Apr 5, 2016.

1. vortexz

vortexz Member

Which one you bet on ? :p

I'm pretty sure the Bolt won't stand a chance against the Model 3

2. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

Nobody will buy a Model 3 for 35K.
    I am planning to load mine up, to make it nice.
    The way most will buy them; its a $50K car vs a $37K car.

What if you get hammered with $2500 just for SuperCharging?

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Lots of people will buy it for $35k. My father and son, for example. I might too - it depends on our other car at the time. The other car will likely be a Tesla so I won't need supercharging.

Not that I think that will be the majority, but I think there will be quite a few stripped cars.

• Like x 1
  4. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Maybe not at first, but the long-term success of the 3 depends on the availability of those 35-40k volume models.

Opposite side of the same coin, I suspect GM will sell very few $37.5k Bolts. They will start stacking cash on the hood in relatively short order, particularly if gas prices stay under $4/gal for the foreseeable future.

• Like x 2
  5. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Bolt.
    I do think GM has margin to move the car at more attractive pricing, than list price.
    Costco runs the Supplier Pricing deals in Winter so that will shave off almost $2K.
    Plus, the rebate is here right now for the Bolt.

One thing I noticed, is that a Volt has anywhere from 5% to 16% higher MPGe than a Model S (depending on Model S).
    I wonder if the Bolt will also be higher MPGe, which does help avoid raising your electric bill to crazy levels.

Also, since the Volt is known to exceed it's stated range, I think the Bolt (being very light for a BEV) may do the same.
    How are Teslas with achieving their stated range?

6. TI Sailor

TI Sailor Member

If the Gigafactory reduces battery costs by 30% or more, it's entirely possible future Model 3's will include more standard features, like the new console in the Model S. Adding content without raising the price will sway hesitant but frugal buyers.

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Wrong. Unless the battery upgrade is a no-brainer, I plan to get a base model.

• Like x 1
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

So if a person has to limit themselves to a ~ 35k car, you think they will prefer a 'stripped' Bolt rather than a 'stripped' M3 ?

Does the Bolt have something in the stripped model the M3 does not, other than the obnoxious Chevy logo on the nose ?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

The hordes of people standing in line waiting to reserve a Bolt disagree.

Uh ... wait. Never mind.

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 1
  10. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

One thing I noticed, is that a Volt has anywhere from 5% to 16% higher MPGe than a Model S (depending on Model S).
    I wonder if the Bolt will also be higher MPGe, which does help avoid raising your electric bill to crazy levels.

"... raising your electric bill to crazy levels ..."
    Is this an issue? $50 - $80 per month?
    Wow.
    ~Larry

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. smak

smak Member

Will there be no options on the Bolt? They won't have a tech package, or extra pricing for certain colors, or better seats, or better wheels?

Don't all cars have these type options past the base price?

Saying it's a 50k car vs a $37k car disregards the fact the Bolt will have similar options as well.

-smak-

• Like x 1
  12. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

Tesla's business model is not to sell base model cars.
    They have gone thru great lengths to entice you with expensive upgrades, that create transaction prices 20%-40% over base models.
    They even said Base Models won't ship, anywhere near the beginning of production.

By the time Tesla even starts shipping Base Models (2Y), the base price could rise from inflation.
    The current Base Price, is little more than the starting point for options.
    It does not represent a possible transaction price (at the time of release).

Tesla knows full well, they are pursuing higher transaction prices.
    I don't think that is bad.
    Many people want to pile on options.
    Good for Tesla.

Less extravagant buyers can get a Bolt for a significantly cheaper.
    Good for GM.

• Like x 1
  13. Kimad06

Kimad06 Member

@Lunarx i definitely agree with you on that. I don't know many people who bought a stripped Model S. I myself am expecting my configuration to be around 50k. The options are too good for me to pass up. Nonetheless, there are those that are willing to buy the base model, and by the time that happens, they may have even more standard options.

• Love x 1
  14. MTL_HABS1909

MTL_HABS1909 Member

My gf begs to differ. Although I will load mine up, she is sticking to the base model.

• Like x 3
  15. yesup

yesup Member

I want both cars to be successful.

We need more EVs, the more the better, which leads to public acceptance of EVs being the norm, rather than an exotic alternative.

• Like x 5
  16. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Elon's already stated Supercharging is included. And that he expects the average selling price to be around $42K.
    What will the avg selling price be on the Bolt (not the bare minimum price)?

• Like x 1
  17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Gm markets their cars in a similar fashion.

It is typically impossible to find a stripped model in the dealerships. Dealers make more % profit on the accessories than on a basic car. Both companies are highly motivated to sell better equipped versions of their cars.

Nobody makes any money selling a base car.

"You want fries with that" has been the marketing mantra for years and years.

• Like x 4
  18. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

It will be interesting to see how the dealers will trash talk the Tesla product to their customers (and only if brought up of course). I foretell a sea of buyer remorse with many of those sales, once they discover they've been hoodwinked.

Also will be interesting to see how the trade rags report on these two. They'll have too as they are the only two on paper in this league.

To Elon's past points about the dealership model... is conflicted when trying to sell EV on the lot of ICE vehicles, particularly when they have one that won't compete. Long term sales of the Bolt are doomed. I think GM has some scrambling to do.

19. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

#19 AUSinator, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Comparing the Bolt to the m3 is the same as comparing a Toyota Corolla hb to a BMW 3 series. The only simularity is they almost cost the same.

• Like x 2
  20. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Exactly.
    Price, space, safety, performance, supercharging (anywhere)... And style.