Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! 😊

At the moment the BMD will take up the connector needed by whatever CAN reader you're using. You'd have to fabricate a splitter of some kind to still use that setup.

That said, I'm adding more and more to the BMD dashboard, and have plans to update the BMD to be able to emulate a bluetooth device like one used by SMT and other 3rd party apps.

Not likely. I honestly don't know how anyone affords to run a business out that way. It's insanely expensive.

If we did do a west coast facility, the prices would easily be 3x what they are now... which isn't practical.

That said, there is a shop out that way that we do business with quite a bit, and depending on the situation may be able to outsource some service to them to save on transport... but no guarantees there.
Jason, if you ever decide to sell a splitter cable, let me know. I currently have comma.ai openpilot Using the OBD port, but future versions will use the diag port. Given that I bought your service contract, the diag port is for your battery monitoring dongle. Also, having a splitter might make it easier to hide your dongle from Tesla’s SC staff when going for service. I have heard stories of them removing items.

@wk057 is this the port your BMD needs to plug into or is it the actual OBD2 port just above the drivers left foot?
O8iz9Jd.jpg

I am very very interested and signed up. Hopefully this still comes out to be cheaper than going to like Electrified Garage to get a battery replacement.

Do you cover Drive Unit replacements too?
Awesome!

We don't cover drive unit replacements with the service plan. There's not really a cost effective way for us to offer a drive unit replacement plan at the moment, since most failures of the drive units result in failures of components that we're not able to do much with.

That said, we can do out-of-pocket replacement service on drive units, and can generally be cost effective depending on the variant. For the newer performance units, however, we suggest just going to Tesla directly for a replacement since our costs would be about the same.

Jason, if you ever decide to sell a splitter cable, let me know. I currently have comma.ai openpilot Using the OBD port, but future versions will use the diag port. Given that I bought your service contract, the diag port is for your battery monitoring dongle. Also, having a splitter might make it easier to hide your dongle from Tesla’s SC staff when going for service. I have heard stories of them removing items.

Will definitely look into it. We probably will offer this at some point.

For the bulk of service, Tesla shouldn't need access to the CAN diag port, so, you should be pretty safe.

@wk057 is this the port your BMD needs to plug into or is it the actual OBD2 port just above the drivers left foot?
O8iz9Jd.jpg

It's the white port (blue on newer cars) near the top of your photo, not the OBD port in the driver feet area.

I’m interested. I see in the T&Cs:

Vehicles with non-original High Voltage Battery Packs, refurbished High Voltage Battery Packs, and High Voltage Battery Packs with labeled capacities differing from the vehicle's original trim are not automatically covered, but can be covered upon request and at 057 Technology's sole discretion.

My 85 was replaced by tesla with a refurbed 90, so how do I coordinate?

• Helpful
Reactions: wk057
I’m interested. I see in the T&Cs:

Vehicles with non-original High Voltage Battery Packs, refurbished High Voltage Battery Packs, and High Voltage Battery Packs with labeled capacities differing from the vehicle's original trim are not automatically covered, but can be covered upon request and at 057 Technology's sole discretion.

My 85 was replaced by tesla with a refurbed 90, so how do I coordinate?
Shoot over your VIN to contact@ or our Contact page (can also just PM me here if desired), and if possible your service invoice from Tesla, and we'll update our database accordingly. That's mainly there to cover folks that got 3rd party replacements, as most other shops haven't a clue.

Edit: To clarify, the BMD can also validate all of this. If the pack is mismatched, we can generally figure out what the deal is at that time, but, better to get it sorted out ahead of time.

Last edited:
Hello wk057, great work :)

Could you specify the "maximum charge level reduced" error which occurs more and more often, what happens inside these Packs?
Why seem only the 60/70/85 type Packs to be affected?

I think there are way more possible faults than only imbalance Problems.
With older software Versions some Model S shut down
at 4% SOC. What caused this Problem? How did Tesla fix it? Didn't read about this kind of shutdown Failure since 2 Years or so.

im very curious about "a bit" more detail about the BMD. Yes i did read the FAQs and you wont get into specific Detail, i can understand this.
Maybe you can give us some "teaser" what the Device is monitoring.

- Cell imbalance at different temps
- temp differences while driving (internal resistance?)
- Cell imlalance at low/high power Output
- Cell imbalance at low/high SOC
- Cell imbalance while charging/supercharging

- With the information of BMD, is it possible to "predict" the remaining Life of the Battery?
- With "noob" tools like Scanmytesla, what are the relevant parameters to look for if us "Noobs" want to check out batteries?
- I got the feeling that the Power and Regen Limit is getting more and more sensitive as the Car ages. Why is that?

there are many types of 85 Packs (1014114-00-D; 1014114-00-B; 1025273-0X-D; 1055519-00-A....)
From your experience are some packs more often failing than others?

Are there Packs with Failures from Coolant Leakage inside the Pack?
What is the most common failing reason?

Last edited:
Hello wk057, great work :)

Could you specify the "maximum charge level reduced" error which occurs more and more often, what happens inside these Packs?
Why seem only the 60/70/85 type Packs to be affected?

I think there are way more possible faults than only imbalance Problems.
With older software Versions some Model S shut down
at 4% SOC. What caused this Problem? How did Tesla fix it? Didn't read about this kind of shutdown Failure since 2 Years or so.

im very curious about "a bit" more detail about the BMD. Yes i did read the FAQs and you wont get into specific Detail, i can understand this.
Maybe you can give us some "teaser" what the Device is monitoring.

- Cell imbalance at different temps
- temp differences while driving (internal resistance?)
- Cell imlalance at low/high power Output
- Cell imbalance at low/high SOC
- Cell imbalance while charging/supercharging

- With the information of BMD, is it possible to "predict" the remaining Life of the Battery?
- With "noob" tools like Scanmytesla, what are the relevant parameters to look for if us "Noobs" want to check out batteries?
- I got the feeling that the Power and Regen Limit is getting more and more sensitive as the Car ages. Why is that?

there are many types of 85 Packs (1014114-00-D; 1014114-00-B; 1025273-0X-D; 1055519-00-A....)
From your experience are some packs more often failing than others?

Are there Packs with Failures from Coolant Leakage inside the Pack?
What is the most common failing reason?

There are quite a few conditions that can trigger the "Maximum Charge Level Reduced" error. There were updates done to the packs at some point that mostly prevent these issues (on the hardware side of things), and BMS firmware updates over the years to help catch and mitigate them as best possible on older packs.

The BMD can't do anything magic, like predict the life expectancy of the pack, but it does access quite a bit of additional data that you won't find in something like ScanMyTesla (which is based on my initial public CAN deciphering work from years ago), including information that must be actively retrieved from the BMS and not just sitting on the CAN bus to be found. We use this data to determine the current health of the pack, some history about it. We can use that, along with our years of research, on an ongoing basis to predict many failure modes earlier than the BMS does.

This is all the result of nearly a decade of reverse engineering efforts, so the exact details just can't realistically be made public. Our work with the Tesla BMS is a key element to some current products (such as this service plan w/BMD product) and upcoming products (custom pack), so there's a limit to exactly how much detail I can get into on this, including the types of issues and failures we've seen (a lot) and can look for. At the end of the day this is still a business. We're by far the experts on this outside of Tesla, and we can't really give away our secret sauce.

Most of the useful data you can get with 3rd party tools, plus some, is going to be available in our service plan dashboard, however.

Our work with the Tesla BMS is a key element to some current products (such as this service plan w/BMD product) and upcoming products (custom pack)
What would be really cool is the ability to have bi-directional charging on our Tesla's. Many manufacturers are doing this, Tesla doesn't seem interested in it as of yet. Some aftermarket gadget and possible mods to enable the ability to power the house from my Model S during an outage would be highly desirable. Have you had any thoughts of doing this? With either your custom pack or from the OEM Tesla one?

Edit: I stand corrected: looks like Tesla have been thinking of implementing it Tesla quietly adds bidirectional charging capability for game-changing new features [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
What would be really cool is the ability to have bi-directional charging on our Tesla's. Many manufacturers are doing this, Tesla doesn't seem interested in it as of yet. Some aftermarket gadget and possible mods to enable the ability to power the house from my Model S during an outage would be highly desirable. Have you had any thoughts of doing this? With either your custom pack or from the OEM Tesla one?

Edit: I stand corrected: looks like Tesla have been thinking of implementing it Tesla quietly adds bidirectional charging capability for game-changing new features [Updated]
Watch the "debunked" video on that page. The Model 3 charger (at least at that time) is not bidirectional. Shame on Electrek for keeping that clickbait article up, without a clear retraction.

This is a bit beyond the scope of our service plan offering... at the moment we don't have any plans to do anything with vehicle to grid or vehicle to off-grid power.

Personally, I feel like using a BEV for powering things in an outage is a pretty terrible idea.

First, you're draining power from your vehicle with no way of replacing it during the outage. Seems like you probably should have your vehicle available for use, especially during an outage or emergency. (Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to this like having another vehicle etc.) "Sorry, kids... dad's got to go to work, so no more lights or refrigerator until I get home."

Next, the hardware needed to make this possible ends up being nearly identical to the hardware you need to just install a backup power system for your house, minus the batteries themselves. Just get a real backup power setup and some stationary batteries and you don't have to worry about anything related to the vehicle. Or, go the cheaper route and just get a standby generator. All of this seems way more sensible to me than trying to use your vehicle's battery to power things in your house.

For outages, using the vehicle just seems pretty dumb to me. So many limitations, and those limitations are way worse than alternative backup power methods.

There's some potential usefulness for vehicle-to-grid stuff... or using a PHEV as a backup power source (like a Chevy Volt and its built in 50kW gas powered generator)... but using a pure BEV in an outage seems like a terrible idea all around.

Now, I've used my Model S a power source for running some tools and equipment and things off-grid temporarily... but that's not the same as using it during a power outage.

Note the update to the article: The hardware does not actually support bidirectional power flow. Little irritating that the headline wasn't updated to reflect that, but, you know... clicks and all.

So we've been putting off this pricing update for a bit since there's other updates in the pipeline related to pricing (addons, 100 kWh support, etc)... so have been trying to get them all out at once.

Since that's not feasible, I've decided that the pricing updates will happen when 100 kWh support is complete, which was scheduled for this coming weekend. However, probably going to be sooner than that.

Plan now: 100 kWh + Updated pricing, followed soon after by addons.

Reactions: byeLT4 and GeoG
Updates:

Had someone try to exploit/scrape/DoS our order system sometime last night... annoying, but no actual harm done (automated bans). Apparently someone really wants our VIN data. 😂

First Model X BMD batch is almost already sold out :oops: ... we've got rolling production builds in, but they're relatively small batches and there was a hair more demand there than anticipated!

We also ran out of S BMDs, and prioritized the oldest vehicles roughly in order of payments received. Next batch is in QA so should be caught up there soon.

Turns out the actual service plan tab in the account management area isn't presently updating due to a database access issue. We moved the actual BMD gateway to another location with more reliable connectivity before we ended our internal beta, and no one ever realized there was any backend to customer front end issue there. Things are working fine on the backend and internal management stuff, just there's just zero feedback on the customer front end at the moment. My beta testers were not as attentive as they claimed to be! Will work on that.

Finally, we actually already have our first non-beta replacement service scheduled under the service plan for a 2013 S. BMD qualified the pack initially, but over the course of the first week predicted a failure, and we notified them. Over the weekend they got a "maximum charge level reduced" error. The customer was actually pretty surprised. We've got vehicle transport setup for them and should have them back up and running within a couple weeks. :cool:

Overall hasn't been the absolute smoothest launch that I would have liked, but no major issues!

To that end, as a thanks to everyone who's signed up during this early launch period, as well as anyone who signs up this week, I'm going to extend everyone's plan time by 30 days (so, ~25 months total) in the system. Not going to really advertise this, but it'll show in the account manager once that's fixed up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Last edited:
Updates:

Had someone try to exploit/scrape/DoS our order system sometime last night... annoying, but no actual harm done (automated bans). Apparently someone really wants out VIN data. 😂

First Model X BMD batch is almost already sold out :oops: ... we've got rolling production builds in, but they're relatively small batches and there was a hair more demand there than anticipated!

We also ran out of S BMDs, and prioritized the oldest vehicles roughly in order of payments received. Next batch is in QA so should be caught up there.

Turns out the actual service plan tab in the account management area isn't presently updating due to a database access issue. We moved the actual BMD gateway to another location with more reliable connectivity before we ended our internal beta, and no one ever realized there was any backend to customer front end issue there. Things are working fine on the backend and internal management stuff, just there's just zero feedback on the customer front end at the moment. My beta testers were not as attentive as they claimed to be! Will work on that.

Finally, we actually already have our first non-beta replacement service scheduled under the service plan for a 2013 S. BMD qualified the pack initially, but over the course of the first week predicted a failure, and we notified them. Over the weekend they got a "maximum charge level reduced" error. The customer was actually pretty surprised. We've got vehicle transport setup for them and should have them back up and running within a couple weeks. :cool:

Overall hasn't been the absolute smoothest launch that I would have liked, but no major issues!

To that end, as a thanks to everyone who's signed up during this early launch period, as well as anyone who signs up this week, I'm going to extend everyone's plan time by 30 days (so, 25 months total) in the system. Not going to really advertise this, but it'll show in the account manager once that's fixed up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Thanks for the updates; much appreciated.

Also, thanks for the extra 30 days; a nice touch.

Updates:

Had someone try to exploit/scrape/DoS our order system sometime last night... annoying, but no actual harm done (automated bans). Apparently someone really wants our VIN data. 😂
Didn't they see the warning?

Warning: Scraping or other abuse of this page will NOT be tolerated.
Employees of Tesla, Inc. are prohibited from utilizing this service.

Geez, some hackers have no morals. :p

BMDs will eventually get a firmware update that will make them emulate the ELM327 protocol sufficiently to work with ScanMyTesla via bluetooth. No ETA on this, but have tested to make sure doing this doesn't break anything major and it seems ok so far.

Should save on splitters, and service plan folks get a free dongle to work with SMT. 😎

(Oh, all of the BMDs are LTE+Bluetooth+Wifi now... going to be reaching out to the few who have older ones to update their hardware once we catch up too.)

-----

Edit:
Little flaky so far in testing, but probably fixable. SMT doesn't seem to care about data rates, so can likely just slow it down a bit and be fine.

smt.jpg

Last edited: