Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
057 Technology is now offering extended service plans for Tesla Model S and X battery packs.

Starting at $1,799.

See HV Battery Service Plan | 057 Technology for all of the details.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to address them. Thanks!

Check out the link above for the most detailed information, or to check if your VIN qualifies!

----

How much does it cost?​

table1.jpg

24-month / 25,000 mile HV Battery Plan
Tesla OEM HV Battery Warranty is ...Plan Cost
... already expired$2,499
Limited Time: $1,999
... expires within 90 days$1,999
... expires within 6 months$1,899
... expires within 12 months$1,849
... expires in over 12 months$1,799

What does this service plan cover?​

• Failures of the High Voltage Battery Pack (Unable to drive due to battery failure)
  • Errors with the High Voltage Battery Pack that impair normal usability ("Maximum charge level reduced", for example)
  • Active monitoring of the High Voltage Battery Pack to get ahead of potential problems
  • Full pack replacement or repair at an 057 facility, as required, while plan is active

How does it work?​

• Signup for a service plan online in minutes
  • Receive the 057 Technology Battery Monitoring Device in the mail
  • Plug it into the vehicle's diagnostic port
  • Drive the vehicle at least 50 miles (normal use) to validate your battery's condition
  • Once the device reports back all is well, your service plan is now active! HV battery failures are now covered by the service plan!

Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
Are vehicles with MCU2 upgrades are also eligible for the battery warranty program?

And in the future will second, third etc. warranties be available after the first 2 year 25,000 mile warranty expires?

Are vehicles with MCU2 upgrades are also eligible for the battery warranty program?

And in the future will second, third etc. warranties be available after the first 2 year 25,000 mile warranty expires?

MCU2 isn't an issue.

As of now, our plan is to continue to allow renewals as long as battery health continues to be positive. Renewal costs will likely vary depending on the actual condition of the pack at the time of renewal.

Great stuff.

Just FYI, your "availability checker" reports my 2016 S75 (birthed as a software locked 60) as ineligible, but your FAQs suggest you're offering coverage for 75kwh batteries.

Hmm! I thought we'd fixed this! Grr... will look into this. Thanks! Fixed!

Last edited:
Can we still use ScanMyTesla, possibly with a CAN bus splitter?
The current version of the Battery Monitoring Device only works with our software, but an upcoming revision adds connectivity that should be compatible with ScanMyTesla and other CAN reader apps. We can swap it out at that point upon request, then you only need the one dongle.

For now, you'd have to have the 057 device connected directly to the CAN diag port (it requires access to 3 of the CAN busses), and could split off whatever is used for other purposes, provided the other device does not transmit on the CAN bus, since we disallow that while covered as a bit of a blanket rule for now. We may whitelist some packets/devices for this in the future as needed.

Reactions: tga
The current version of the Battery Monitoring Device only works with our software, but an upcoming revision adds connectivity that should be compatible with ScanMyTesla and other CAN reader apps. We can swap it out at that point upon request, then you only need the one dongle.

For now, you'd have to have the 057 device connected directly to the CAN diag port (it requires access to 3 of the CAN busses), and could split off whatever is used for other purposes, provided the other device does not transmit on the CAN bus, since we disallow that while covered as a bit of a blanket rule for now. We may whitelist some packets/devices for this in the future as needed.
Excellent. I have 10 months left in the warranty, but I'll revisit this spring.

If I am reading it correctly if you buy now you get a discount but the warranty term doesn't start until your Tesla warranty expires.
Yes, I saw that. But I'm already in the "expires within 12 months" tier, so there's no real financial advantage for me to sign up now vs waiting until I'm about to hit the "expires within 6 months" tier.

After I upgraded my MCU2, I get battery errors w094 and u008 if I drive with my Elm327 plugged in to the DLC. As soon as I unplug it, the errors go away immediately. As such I no longer drive with the Elm327 plugged in. Is this just a bad scan tool messing polluting the canbus. It literally started the moment I drove off after the MCU2 upgrade. Other than that, no battery issues. At 71.4 kwh on my P85DL.

Does it cover 1500 amp 85s?

057 Technology is now offering extended service plans for Tesla Model S battery packs.

Starting at $1,799.

See HV Battery Service Plan | 057 Technology for all of the details.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to address them. Thanks!

Check out the link above for the most detailed information, or to check if your VIN qualifies!

----

How much does it cost?​

24-month / 25,000 mile HV Battery Plan
Tesla OEM HV Battery Warranty is ...Plan Cost
... already expired$2,499
Limited Time: $1,999
... expires within 90 days$1,999
... expires within 6 months$1,899
... expires within 12 months$1,849
... expires in over 12 months$1,799

What does this service plan cover?​

• Failures of the High Voltage Battery Pack (Unable to drive due to battery failure)
  • Errors with the High Voltage Battery Pack that impair normal usability ("Maximum charge level reduced", for example)
  • Active monitoring of the High Voltage Battery Pack to get ahead of potential problems
  • Full pack replacement or repair at an 057 facility, as required, while plan is active

How does it work?​

• Signup for a service plan online in minutes
  • Receive the 057 Technology Battery Monitoring Device in the mail
  • Plug it into the vehicle's diagnostic port
  • Drive the vehicle at least 50 miles (normal use) to validate your battery's condition
  • Once the device reports back all is well, your service plan is now active! HV battery failures are now covered by the service plan!

Frequently Asked Questions
This awesome. Heard a lot of good things about 057. New M3 owner here. Any plans to extend this to the M3 models?

Yes, I saw that. But I'm already in the "expires within 12 months" tier, so there's no real financial advantage for me to sign up now vs waiting until I'm about to hit the "expires within 6 months" tier.
Hmm... hadn't considered that angle. Will have to make some pricing tweaks to better give better incentive to signup. 😄

Also, and I'll have to document more of this for the website, the monitoring device can detect some failures as much as 15-20 cycles before Tesla's BMS puts up even a hidden alert, and usually takes 10 more cycles or so before a user alert happens. There's also a couple of failure modes it can actively compensate for over a half-dozen cycles or so after detection, and one failure mode it can correct entirely.

Obviously this is some of the secret sauce derived from tons of work, but overall even while under warranty there's a benefit to having the dongle running.

After I upgraded my MCU2, I get battery errors w094 and u008 if I drive with my Elm327 plugged in to the DLC. As soon as I unplug it, the errors go away immediately. As such I no longer drive with the Elm327 plugged in. Is this just a bad scan tool messing polluting the canbus. It literally started the moment I drove off after the MCU2 upgrade. Other than that, no battery issues. At 71.4 kwh on my P85DL.

Does it cover 1500 amp 85s?

Yeah, L packs are covered. Depending on what's available when a failure happens, may be replaced with a 90L, but generally will try to match capacity/performance with pre-failure as best possible.

And yeah, maybe something sending ACKs or something when it's not supposed to.

This awesome. Heard a lot of good things about 057. New M3 owner here. Any plans to extend this to the M3 models?
Model 3 plans targeted for the end of the year, but not solid on that yet.

Hmm... hadn't considered that angle. Will have to make some pricing tweaks to better give better incentive to signup. 😄

Also, and I'll have to document more of this for the website, the monitoring device can detect some failures as much as 15-20 cycles before Tesla's BMS puts up even a hidden alert, and usually takes 10 more cycles or so before a user alert happens. There's also a couple of failure modes it can actively compensate for over a half-dozen cycles or so after detection, and one failure mode it can correct entirely.

Obviously this is some of the secret sauce derived from tons of work, but overall even while under warranty there's a benefit to having the dongle running.

Yeah, L packs are covered. Depending on what's available when a failure happens, may be replaced with a 90L, but generally will try to match capacity/performance with pre-failure as best possible.

And yeah, maybe something sending ACKs or something when it's not supposed to.

Model 3 plans targeted for the end of the year, but not solid on that yet.
I'll be watching for model 3 as well it would give great life into older high mileage 3s.

I am also 11 months out and wondered why I would buy a 2 year plan now but makes sense it wouldn't start til after thankfully lol. If I buy now do I start monitoring now as well?

I'll be watching for model 3 as well it would give great life into older high mileage 3s.

I am also 11 months out and wondered why I would buy a 2 year plan now but makes sense it wouldn't start til after thankfully lol. If I buy now do I start monitoring now as well?

Yeah, clock doesn't start on the plan until your OEM warranty is up, but you still get the monitoring benefits until then.

Based on initial feedback, I've definitely got to make a few things more clear about how it all works, including that it doesn't overlap the OEM warranty.

Also, the BMD is able to detect a lot of different types of failures well before they happen with pretty good accuracy in our testing. Sometimes weeks or months before the vehicle would even think about popping up an error. This could buy folks some serious leverage with Tesla when still under warranty, and others time to plan service with us. The BMD can even temporarily correct a few issues (after alerting the user, of course), bypass some usage lockouts after certain failures (mainly for loading/unloading on/off a trailer without headaches, or to limp home if close enough), and completely solve a few issues (although admittedly pretty minor ones). It can't always do anything, but have spent years building ways to detect many of the failure modes we've come across.

Also, the BMD is able to detect a lot of different types of failures well before they happen with pretty good accuracy in our testing. Sometimes weeks or months before the vehicle would even think about popping up an error. This could buy folks some serious leverage with Tesla when still under warranty, and others time to plan service with us. The BMD can even temporarily correct a few issues (after alerting the user, of course), bypass some usage lockouts after certain failures (mainly for loading/unloading on/off a trailer without headaches, or to limp home if close enough), and completely solve a few issues (although admittedly pretty minor ones). It can't always do anything, but have spent years building ways to detect many of the failure modes we've come across.
Sounds like it might ge a good idea to remove the BMD prior to going in for any service before the battery warranty is up, to prevent them from trying to blame battery failures on your "temporary corrections" and invalidating the battery warranty? Does it leave any detectible breadcrumbs/modifications after removal that Tesla could point to?

Sort of like how I used to revert my S4 ECU to stock mode before taking it to the Audi dealer many years ago.

Reactions: Rocky_H
S60 - oh well :(
This is because the recovered cell packs are of no use, right?

The modules from a 60 can still be recovered and usable for other applications, although there's not a ton of demand for them. The main issue is that in all of our data that original 60 packs simply fail significantly more often than other variants due to the higher current per-cell required for normal operation.

We could offer a plan for 60, but it wouldn't be a great value to the customer (likely about double the cost of the existing offer). If your 60 fails, just get with us about replacing with a 70 or better.

Sounds like it might ge a good idea to remove the BMD prior to going in for any service before the battery warranty is up, to prevent them from trying to blame battery failures on your "temporary corrections" and invalidating the battery warranty? Does it leave any detectible breadcrumbs/modifications after removal that Tesla could point to?

Sort of like how I used to revert my S4 ECU to stock mode before taking it to the Audi dealer many years ago.

The BMD doesn't do anything that would void the manufacturer warranty except in a particular edge case:

There's a certain type of failure mode where we are able to engage an emergency limp home mode upon request from the owner. Activating this would technically void the OEM warranty, as it has to modify the BMS to make it happen. We have no issues for out of warranty folks doing this while covered, but we won't actually even allow this to happen without first verbally speaking to the owner in the case of a car still in warranty with Tesla and explaining the potential ramifications. I don't think Tesla would even notice, honestly, since like the case with your S4 ECU, we put things back how they were after... but, it is a potential edge case for voiding the OEM warranty.

The BMD does actively send commands to the battery and other modules to retrieve data that is not generally available on the CAN bus, however this is not (currently) logged anywhere by Tesla nor is it any kind of modification that would be warranty voiding. So while I suppose Tesla could, if so inclined, devise a way to detect the BMD... I don't see why they would bother, since they can't legally void the warranty based on its presence. (Disclaimer: IANAL, but this seems pretty cut and dry).

Admittedly hypothetical situation, but do you foresee a purgatory where a customer is disqualified due to battery health, yet Tesla disputes any issue? Do you think we would have a hard time convincing Tesla of problems reported by a 3rd party device?

We've actually worked with Tesla advocating on a customer's behalf many times over the years. They've been pretty shady about warranty pack replacements at times, and we've successfully pushed them in the right direction more than once after they've tried to steer the customer away from a warranty replacement. Generally, Tesla wants their own internal flags to trigger before entertaining a warranty replacement. Should our device predict a failure, most likely those flags will get set soon enough anyway... so I'd probably suggest normal use until that happens (device can tell you) and then go to Tesla with "My battery is showing these internal errors that relate to a failure of XYZ and I'd like that corrected under warranty."

There is definitely going to be some overlap between disqualified from our program and not-bad-enough-for-Tesla. We can't really do much about this, unfortunately. We can't reasonably cover batteries that are showing potential signs of failure, and Tesla isn't going to replace a battery that hasn't technically failed yet.