Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure about this. I think the main people calling him/057 swindlers are not customers. So they did not fund anything.
That's a valid point. Though I'm not sure there's more than one or two, and yet I can't help but feel lumped into that very small group that routinely gets under his skin. And instead of just leaving the forum for his own sake, he engages while not clarifying anything for the rest of us who did fund it. And I imagine there's customers here not speaking up ... esp when he's threatening legal action practically on behalf of 057 despite not being part of 057 anymore. Makes me doubt what little he does divulge.

I'm thoroughly fascinated that Hughes has this intimate, supposed backdoor connection to 057 to miraculously get work done (while tickets go unreplied), yet he has been unable to coerce the current owners to make a statement to at least clear Hughes' conscience. Seems to me things aren't as kosher as we're being told. And he's turned off his Last Seen so he can continue to lurk. Why? Bc he likes to be angry? I don't get it.

Haha. "Pretty sure," eh?

Oct 23, 2023

Try 3.75 months ago, not years.
Wrong, that is a mod sharing their privileged view. (Which they could still see today, as they have permissions that we don't.)

Which they confirmed:

I was just informed by a member here that its possible that I can see something regular members cant, since they cant see the same activity I can. I am not going to remove my post, but wont be commenting on that any further.

Reactions: CrankyGypsy
That's a valid point. Though I'm not sure there's more than one or two, and yet I can't help but feel lumped into that very small group that routinely gets under his skin. And instead of just leaving the forum for his own sake, he engages while not clarifying anything for the rest of us who did fund it. And I imagine there's customers here not speaking up ... esp when he's threatening legal action practically on behalf of 057 despite not being part of 057 anymore. Makes me doubt what little he does divulge.

I'm thoroughly fascinated that Hughes has this intimate, supposed backdoor connection to 057 to miraculously get work done (while tickets go unreplied), yet he has been unable to coerce the current owners to make a statement to at least clear Hughes' conscience. Seems to me things aren't as kosher as we're being told. And he's turned off his Last Seen so he can continue to lurk. Why? Bc he likes to be angry? I don't get it.
In my example, getting some lower level employees to look into a particular case, is very different than requesting the main company to make a public statement that they would be held to or to change how they operate overall. In the other forum, the main company never made any public statements or policies on the specific issues (it was about repair of various products), the individual cases were just resolved behind the scenes.

The dynamic in the other forum is like a retired coworker occasionally (at most a few cases a year) asking if you can look into a case for a friend. Most of the time, people would be willing to help with what they are able/allowed to do. Getting the company to come out with a blanket policy or statement is something that is a whole other matter and rarely done. Giving the contact directly in public also is not viable (the coworker will hate you if requests flood in).

To be clear, I understand your position, and I'm not saying you can't make the point (especially given you were a party in it; as others pointed out that's not the case for some others), just pointing out what is observed isn't unusual.

By "work in the company " do you mean 057? If so, that implies 057 is still providing services...
I'm talking about the company in my other example, not about 057.

The only publicly available information on 057 shows the website is still running, the new owner's company is still active (not dissolved yet), but it's unclear what services, if any, they are still providing at the current moment.

Last edited:
@MP3Mike , I do like that post for the mod stating:

"No company would stay silent this long on a topic like this, if there was a simple explanation that would not paint things in a negative light for the company. (again this is my personal opinion)."

To @stopcrazypp , I'm not saying Hughes' position is unusual. What I feel unusual is Hughes returning here to defend himself with a straw and a napkin, making legal threats on behalf of a company he is not part of, and saying he's not going to participate constructively (he's not done so since Nov 10) in the forum because of one or two bad actors. Why bother to engage anyone, then? He really isn't providing any information and actually seems to be making matters worse by my perspective bc he implies work was/is getting done while my inquiries have gone unanswered. This thread seems to be doing a great job in sinking that company's trustworthiness. The site has been updated and makes no mention of the Service Plan, so it appears 057 is purposefully avoiding the topic.

I don't know what Hughes has done to preserve his sanity and make his own life easier (because I would certainly have liked this to not have occurred for him) - maybe he has asked 057 to help clear him of this "controversy." But since he and 057 are unable OR unwilling to tell any of us, Hughes is going to have to answer to, and endure, the forum tribunal. haha. If anyone should be concerned about making the current 057 company look bad in this thread, it really is Hughes.

What I feel unusual is Hughes returning here to defend himself with a straw and a napkin, making legal threats on behalf of a company he is not part of
Where did he make threats on behalf of a company? What I saw was that he threatened to have his lawyers get involved for someone libeling himself personally. (Or is he not allowed to try to protect his own personal reputation?)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What I feel unusual is Hughes returning here to defend himself with a straw and a napkin, making legal threats on behalf of a company he is not part of, and saying he's not going to participate constructively (he's not done so since Nov 10) in the forum because of one or two bad actors.
I, as one of the purported "bad actors", am just the most convenient excuse. If my most recent post that brought him back here said "the company has gone dark" instead of "the swindlers have gone dark" nothing at all changes. Every single inconsistency, contradicting account, and excuse remains just as it does today.

@MP3Mike your white knighting may be bringing more light to the problem, not unlike Hughes engaging with vague and mysterious answers.
I realize that we have devolved into arguing over semantics at this point, but forcing me to re-read posts reminds me how poorly Hughes has separated himself from 057...

-------------------------------
Excerpt from post #704:
You've been continuously and directly telling people to sue 057 based on false accusations. You've made sarcastic comments that just openly suggest that I personally am a liar. You are now backpedaling and saying it's "someone" involved and they're "responsible" for something horrible enough that they should be sued for, and that this "someone"(s) is/are "swindlers." It seems pretty clear that comment was directed at me. Yet you have no information on the subject and are not involved at all.

Let's see... let's run through a quick libel checklist.

False Statement? I'm not a "swindler", and provably so. Neither is my former company or anyone involved. ✅
Published? The false statement was posted publicly. Clearly covers the "publishing" part. ✅
Harm? What other purpose could these posts have. False accusations are definitely harming my personal reputation here. The posts are clearly intended to cause harm to me and/or 057. ✅

I mean really, if I'm dragged into court as a result of such false published statements I know darn well what I'll be doing. So, word of advice: If you're not affected by something, and have no first hand knowledge about it, I'd suggest refraining from making false accusations and suggesting/directing others cause harm to a person/company. It's not likely to go well.

-------------------------------

Semantically, you may be right. But you also can't say he's NOT indirectly threatening on 057's behalf. If someone is not part of a company and/or wants to not be part of a company, then why would that person continue to "defend" a company that does not answer their former customers' inquiries? I would argue that person would be harming their name, and/or former company's name, as much as anyone here could.
...the more you get me thinking about this, the more something stinks here. haha

I very sincerely sympathize with Hughes to some degree ...but that also gets undone a little when others start defending him WHILE he simultaneously defends a company that: 1) he alleges he no longer has a stake in; 2) is causing him this much stress. At this point, I question if defending 057 is causing Hughes more grief than the [attacks] on his person.

I have since considered that Hughes' defense of the company may very well be for the benefit of his former employees, which I am sure he cares exceptionally for their wellbeing (as would I) ...especially since he was fortunate enough to leave on HIS own terms. So, good on him. But still, the problem remains the complete lack of 057 to address what has unfolded rather than the fault of the service plan subscribers and curious minds left to conjecture in the dark. Consequently, the onus of the truth has inadvertently fallen into the lap of Hughes to make this happen as he's quite literally recommended people contact him directly if they want to get anything done at 057.

@MP3Mike , I do like that post for the mod stating:

"No company would stay silent this long on a topic like this, if there was a simple explanation that would not paint things in a negative light for the company. (again this is my personal opinion)."

To @stopcrazypp , I'm not saying Hughes' position is unusual. What I feel unusual is Hughes returning here to defend himself with a straw and a napkin, making legal threats on behalf of a company he is not part of, and saying he's not going to participate constructively (he's not done so since Nov 10) in the forum because of one or two bad actors. Why bother to engage anyone, then? He really isn't providing any information and actually seems to be making matters worse by my perspective bc he implies work was/is getting done while my inquiries have gone unanswered. This thread seems to be doing a great job in sinking that company's trustworthiness. The site has been updated and makes no mention of the Service Plan, so it appears 057 is purposefully avoiding the topic.

I don't know what Hughes has done to preserve his sanity and make his own life easier (because I would certainly have liked this to not have occurred for him) - maybe he has asked 057 to help clear him of this "controversy." But since he and 057 are unable OR unwilling to tell any of us, Hughes is going to have to answer to, and endure, the forum tribunal. haha. If anyone should be concerned about making the current 057 company look bad in this thread, it really is Hughes.
He explained why he responded in his post, it's: Duty Calls

That's probably what makes up a bulk of participation in forums here by members.

Edit: And as pointed out he's not making legal threats for the new company, but for himself and his own (he refers specifically to his former company). It was implied up thread that these issues had been going on when he was still involved, people were questioning if he sold his company, it was suggested to sue his former LLC, etc.
In case it is not clear, note his former LLC had been dissolved, the new owners have set up a different LLC, so this is talking about two different companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
He explained why he responded in his post, it's: Duty Calls

That's probably what makes up a bulk of participation in forums here by members.

Edit: And as pointed out he's not making legal threats for the new company, but for himself and his own (he refers specifically to his former company). It was implied up thread that these issues had been going on when he was still involved, people were questioning if he sold his company, it was suggested to sue his former LLC, etc.
In case it is not clear, note his former LLC had been dissolved, the new owners have set up a different LLC, so this is talking about two different companies.
Your definition of the word "explained" is quite different than mine.

Ahhh, we're really getting into the silly minutiae here. But I'll entertain: his LLC doesn't exist anymore, so I'm not sure anyone (including him) should be concerned about badmouthing it to the point of warranting legal action - no one is going to bother to sue lil'ole me for libel against Blockbuster.

So anyways, are you his (or any of the two related entity's) lawyer?

I want to apologize as I'm not here to antagonize anyone, least of which for the sole sake of arguing. There's a group looking for answers (a couple members have msgd me directly), and since it appears no one from the current 057 has addressed the situation in any way, I became the loudest mouthpiece after a few interpreted our/my complaints as not justified. I'm not intentionally malicious towards anyone here, nor am I trying to win a petty forum war. As I've stated, I empathize with Hughes and his crappy position - I understand him leaving the company wasn't part of his plan, that his ex-employees may be in a jam, and that he may also be bound by some agreement. Likely this convo has devolved too far (partially my fault), but we all have opinions and as frustrated as we all may be, I'd ideally like to maintain decorum as we share info in an attempt to figure out what is going on.

Well said @CrankyGypsy. I recognize the incredible depth of helpful tesla knowledge JH has shared with the community. I know how he built a P100 RWD, but I can't build the same.
He asked for forgiveness, so I suggested he back up his story with first his attorney, then any other additional people. Then suddenly he's threatening to sue me?
I'm not hunting this guy, so here's hoping that his ego will be absent from future replies, because no one can prevent others' thoughts opinions and discussions.

A portion of this service plan was the monitoring device. This played a large role in my decision to sign up, as it was described as [allowing 057 to actively identify certain problems early enough to prevent major losses and/or inconveniences]. There is/was a goodwill gesture that 057 would cover losses without an initial battery verification by the device until the units became available. However, that doesn't curb the supposed major losses or inconveniences the device promised. Has anyone here received this device after Q1 2023?
I bought in at the end of July 2022 and NEVER received my damn BMD. I’m getting beyond pissed off and just filed a business complaint online against the new owner Keith Baker in Tennessee. Let’s see if anything actually happens.

Your definition of the word "explained" is quite different than mine.

Ahhh, we're really getting into the silly minutiae here. But I'll entertain: his LLC doesn't exist anymore, so I'm not sure anyone (including him) should be concerned about badmouthing it to the point of warranting legal action - no one is going to bother to sue lil'ole me for libel against Blockbuster.

So anyways, are you his (or any of the two related entity's) lawyer?
No I'm not, just another random forum member and participating for pretty much the same reasons as the linked comic. The only interactions I had with wk057 is that in the earlier days of the forums he was extremely informative on the technical aspects of Teslas, so I have some respect for him (as do perhaps many of the longer running members here).

In case it's not clear, the motivation pointed out in the comic is not some rational or fully objective participation, but rather an emotional connection. Given that was his company, and this is his own reputation, he probably feels some emotional motivation to respond and defend it, even if he no longer has any involvement in the new company. I doubt Blockbuster's CEO or owners at the time of bankruptcy would had anywhere near the same emotional connection, given by then it was long bought by other larger corporations (with the management shakeups that accompany that) and the original founder David Cook was long gone from the company and moved on to other ventures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and kavyboy
Sorry, I am choosing to no longer directly engage in fruitless discussions that do not pertain to the issue most of us are here for.
In any case, Though I am now aware of the difference, I will be referring to the company generally as "057" and will not be distinguishing between the "old 057" and "new 057" unless necessary. I feel this is fine as the current iteration of the company, and apparent terms of the mid-2023 sale, seem to prefer that the end user believe they are wholey the same entity.

I have been told by a member that the 057 Service Plan terms had changed since my purchase, and indeed they had (June 1, 2023). I've yet to review how they differ, but I never received a notice that these terms had been updated and am curious if anyone else had received a notice AND exactly how they were notified? I was also informed that someone had initiated a ticket with 057 mid-2023 and was made aware that the BMD was "longer necessary" - does this mean the BMD was no longer necessary to verify that the car qualified OR no longer necessary to "sometimes catch failures before they occur" (1) OR some other reason? The site terms, as of Jan 9, 2024, still make mention that "A Battery Monitoring Device is required to be installed in the vehicle to which this Service Plan applies" (2). I was advised via a ticket (Jun 5-13, 2023) that "... We're working it such that your plan is still technically not activated without the BMD..."

So, according to the terms AND the ticket response that I received, it appears that anyone without a BMD installed has not had the Service Plan activated. Can anyone verify this for me. Because unfortunately, the accounts section shows this under "Manage Service Plans" - I am unable to verify when my plan began and when it ends.

manage.PNG

SUMMARY: Is the company replying directly to anyone? Am I going to receive a BMD? What was the start date of my Service Plan?

I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR HERE: I am simply looking for answers. I am not out to ruin 057 or soil Hughes' reputation. Actually, from what is unfolding here, I can understand why Hughes might've felt he had to leave. So, when the site and tickets failed to answer them, I (like many), ended up here where the owner (initially unknown to any of us to be the former owner) was recognized to graciously and frequently participate.

SOURCES:
(1) HV Battery Service Plan | 057 Technology
(2) HV Battery Service Plan Terms | 057 Technology