Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S, BMW i3 among 2012 Green Car Vision finalists

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears to me they press for subsidies... "See, we can't bring that to market without government cash. Please, this is threatening our future!".
Alas, as someone else wrote, it is not the governments responsibility to keep car manufacturers in business. Liked that statement!

"BMW executives are now talking about shelving plans for both vehicles because the governments in many countries where the models will be sold are pulling back on plug-in incentives. To further complicate matters, electric-vehicle charging infrastructure isn't as far along as expected."

It's odd that it doesn't seem many manufacturers want to help adoption of their projects by also investing in infrastructure like Nissan and tesla are.

"BMW executives are now talking about shelving plans for both vehicles because the governments in many countries where the models will be sold are pulling back on plug-in incentives. To further complicate matters, electric-vehicle charging infrastructure isn't as far along as expected."

It's odd that it doesn't seem many manufacturers want to help adoption of their projects by also investing in infrastructure like Nissan and tesla are.
It's speculation gone viral. BMW denies the rumor, and is carrying on building its carbon fibre plants, etc. Kinda like the "bricking" story -- circled the world 7X before the truth put on its shoes.

There are a LOT of people that want electric cars to fail and love reading this crap. Today's journalism doesn't need facts or even a shred truth. People post something on some random blog and it goes viral and becomes 'fact'. Scary stuff.

Yep, There's no truth to it at all. In fact BMW just opened the first BMW i store in London today: First BMW i Store Opens in London: New BMW i3 Concept and BMW i Pedelec Concept - Dexigner

Dropped by there last Thursday when I was in London on business.

A sad comparison to the Tesla stores.

They have the i8 sitting there (but don't try to touch it!)... not much mention of the fact that it is out-accelerated by the X5, and the rest is marketing smoke and mirrors. Also, it was about as welcoming as a high-end jewellery store with a bouncer on the door and all eyes on you as you move around.

They have the money to do something better, but this still looks to be a low priority activity for BMW and not much more than a token marketing gesture.