TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S, BMW i3 among 2012 Green Car Vision finalists

Discussion in 'News' started by clea, Jan 13, 2012.

1. clea

clea Member

2. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

Voilà. Done. That was an easy choice.

P.S. Hey fellow Québécois, heard about the Quebec charging network news from yesterday ? i will look it up and start a thread ...

3. clea

clea Member

no i haven't heard the news please post it in the already existing thread Charging in Quebec, Canada

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

Well, right after I voted, Tesla was at 71.9%. Obviously no other has a prayer at this time. Are we skewing the vote, or was it already that way.

5. clea

clea Member

I don't think we are skewing it because they have the same distribution as when i first noticed it ...

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

that was an interesting line up for cars but I think the Model S is much more polished and has alot more to offer.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Appears to me they press for subsidies... "See, we can't bring that to market without government cash. Please, this is threatening our future!".
    Alas, as someone else wrote, it is not the governments responsibility to keep car manufacturers in business. Liked that statement!

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

"BMW executives are now talking about shelving plans for both vehicles because the governments in many countries where the models will be sold are pulling back on plug-in incentives. To further complicate matters, electric-vehicle charging infrastructure isn't as far along as expected."

It's odd that it doesn't seem many manufacturers want to help adoption of their projects by also investing in infrastructure like Nissan and tesla are.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Commenters like Tom M. are saying it's a fake. Sorry I was quick to post.

11. tommolog

tommolog Member

12. Brian H

Brian H Banned

It's speculation gone viral. BMW denies the rumor, and is carrying on building its carbon fibre plants, etc. Kinda like the "bricking" story -- circled the world 7X before the truth put on its shoes.

13. tommolog

tommolog Member

There are a LOT of people that want electric cars to fail and love reading this crap. Today's journalism doesn't need facts or even a shred truth. People post something on some random blog and it goes viral and becomes 'fact'. Scary stuff.

14. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Dropped by there last Thursday when I was in London on business.

A sad comparison to the Tesla stores.

They have the i8 sitting there (but don't try to touch it!)... not much mention of the fact that it is out-accelerated by the X5, and the rest is marketing smoke and mirrors. Also, it was about as welcoming as a high-end jewellery store with a bouncer on the door and all eyes on you as you move around.

They have the money to do something better, but this still looks to be a low priority activity for BMW and not much more than a token marketing gesture.