Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y build quality, manufacturing refinement and assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas, and hope everyone is having a good one!
I came into the brand with a pretty open mind, not really for or against. Very much wanting to move to EV's, being the overriding goal.

Having seen a lot of owners posting panel gaps or ill fitting trim, I was surprised not to see much addressing the actual manufacturing.
Our Y has been pretty much perfect so far in regards to assembly and any issues. Panel gaps are all consistent and tight, even and aligned.
Early days, but so far no problems with software or hardware. Will see how it goes, hopefully if anything does come up, it is during the warranty!
There is a daily quality of use improvement over any ICE, and Tesla has head and shoulders above everyone else with their software, imo.

I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification.
In comparison to a comparable legacy brand like Audi, Mercedes or BMW I've noticed a lot of manufacturing details that are lacking for this price level of vehicle.

Photos: White (Y) Silver (Audi)

Manufacturing speaking, it is well put together. Though the body is lacking engineering refinement and finish at this price level.

Tesla's focus on the "guts" and software is definitely more advanced than any other EV from legacy brands.
Not pictured are comparisons I made 'under the hood' of Teslas to all the other ev's available at the time.
Fortunately or unfortunately, all of the standout refinement is hidden.

It doesn't have the coachwork refinement of legacy brands, though "lack of build quality" that people harp about has not been an issue for me at all.
Functionally, nothing wrong with it but I do wish it had more refinement in certain body manufacturing areas to give a sense of being a high quality build par with the price.

There are many aspects of the Y that I really like over other brands and just the very different thinking that went into creating these products is very apparent once you live with it.
Had I not known about complaints, I would be very satisfied overall and thought complaints would be about these manufacturing choices.

Anyway, one aspect. There are many more i've noticed but this recurring topic made me post.

Tesla being designed and made in USA, it may be unfair to compare to Germans and maybe should be compared to GM, Stellantis and Ford brands... but in all honesty, I've never owned any comparable models. (And yes, Tesla's made in USA label did matter. Wouldn't stop me from buying an import at all, but i like that it is American.)

Tesla_Model_Y_Auto_Zuerich_2021_IMG_0392.jpg

"Tesla Model Y Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0392" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for as Blog thumbnail.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, and hope everyone is having a good one!
I came into the brand with a pretty open mind, not really for or against. Very much wanting to move to EV's, being the overriding goal.

Having seen a lot of owners posting panel gaps or ill fitting trim, I was surprised not to see much addressing the actual manufacturing.
Our Y has been pretty much perfect so far in regards to assembly and any issues. Panel gaps are all consistent and tight, even and aligned.
Early days, but so far no problems with software or hardware. Will see how it goes, hopefully if anything does come up, it is during the warranty!
There is a daily quality of use improvement over any ICE, and Tesla has head and shoulders above everyone else with their software, imo.

I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification.
In comparison to a comparable legacy brand like Audi, Mercedes or BMW I've noticed a lot of manufacturing details that are lacking for this price level of vehicle.

Photos: White (Y) Silver (Audi)

Manufacturing speaking, it is well put together. Though the body is lacking engineering refinement and finish at this price level.

Tesla's focus on the "guts" and software is definitely more advanced than any other EV from legacy brands.
Not pictured are comparisons I made 'under the hood' of Teslas to all the other ev's available at the time.
Fortunately or unfortunately, all of the standout refinement is hidden.

It doesn't have the coachwork refinement of legacy brands, though "lack of build quality" that people harp about has not been an issue for me at all.
Functionally, nothing wrong with it but I do wish it had more refinement in certain body manufacturing areas to give a sense of being a high quality build par with the price.

There are many aspects of the Y that I really like over other brands and just the very different thinking that went into creating these products is very apparent once you live with it.
Had I not known about complaints, I would be very satisfied overall and thought complaints would be about these manufacturing choices.

Anyway, one aspect. There are many more i've noticed but this recurring topic made me post.

Tesla being designed and made in USA, it may be unfair to compare to Germans and maybe should be compared to GM, Stellantis and Ford brands... but in all honesty, I've never owned any comparable models. (And yes, Tesla's made in USA label did matter. Wouldn't stop me from buying an import at all, but i like that it is American.)

View attachment 889598
"Tesla Model Y Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0392" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for as Blog thumbnail.
I would like to continuously get your feedback on ownership. I'm also a new Tesla owner. Sure, I support what the brand is trying to do and that's why we ended up with a Tesla as one of our cars but I wouldn't give Tesla a pass simply because they are an American brand. Standards are standards, I think it's best for all consumers in the end if we hold these manufacturers (local or not) to continue bringing their best foot forward. I'll definitely be more understanding if the Model Y is being sold to compete against the Ford EcoSport but it's not. It's reviewed and lined up against other "luxury" offerings.

Reactions: RichardV
I bought a 2022 Model 3 AWD back in June - very well put together and a lot of fun to drive. I miss the “thunk” of a bmw or Audi door and that feeling of luxury. This is different, but no less enjoyable for me though. The interface, software, and performance have been great.

I am currently experimenting with FSD beta with the subscription option - the highway part is brilliant but the problems around town - mostly weird behavior at intersections where it can’t decide which lane goes straight - upset my wife greatly. I think these problems can be solved - I hope they do so fast.

I think the MY is nice enough for the price. When you consider what all they have packed into it, and the reliability of the updates and charging, the interior is fair.
Imagine what you would pay for the package you get from Tesla if produced and sold by one of the big three.

Reactions: TomB985
Hey Daneel, er @Eto Demerzel from Japan!

I agree with your thoughts after owning an import ;) "Ame-sha" (American Car) M3SR+ for 2-1/2 years. It very much reminds me of my '76 Honda Accord hatchback, in that it was Honda's first try at a "real car." The tech was amazing, but so many things different from Toyota and Nissan. Outward fit and finish took some effort and trips to the dealer, but the innards were amazing. I enjoyed that car immensely, almost as much as I am enjoying my Tesla. I came here and was a bit shocked at some of the, to me, nit-picking about relatively minor things. This is the most expensive car I have owned, yet it lacks a few things that my previous Toyota, Nissan, Mazda (and especially) Hondas had. But as a package, this 4-wheeled robot blows them away. And when my wife is not in the car, disengage Chill Mode, and Whoosh ... goodbye practically every car on the street, AND many motorcycles, too!

Waiting on a MYP, ETD Jan/Feb 2023. Strangely, I don't think of it as MiC, but just the closest GigaFactory.

Cheers

I'm really enjoying the objectively worse software and the lack of even basic Rear Parking Proximity warnings in my MYP following the removal of USS (with no timeline to this being rectified). Adding remote farting functionality in the Christmas Update really added insult to injury...

Poor rear visibility with no Parking Sensors, no Summon/AutoSummon features in Advanced Autopilot (these were advertised at purchase) and an 'Autopilot' system that is definitely worse than the Mercedes/BMW/Audi equivalents (especially noticeable in the poor weather most of the Northern Hemisphere is having at the moment)? On a $80k car (after options)?

Sure...the screen is humongous and the OS/App runs well in the main (at the moment I'd take iDrive + Apple CarPlay/Android Auto over it) and the Supercharger network is strong vs. alternatives...but beyond that: meh!

I can only imagine this post is part of some post-purchase affirmation but I can tell you I'm thoroughly underwhelmed so far and reckon a lot of Tesla owners have been at the Musk Kool-Aid!

Had the car for just over a year and overall, the experience has been good. The main issues still are the bumpy ride (20"), slight boominess of the cabin, and some rattling (not sure if it's booster seats tho).

Just recently rode in a relative's new SQ5 - quality interior, firm but forgiving ride, and just as much acceleration when needed. I was impressed.

I'm really enjoying the objectively worse software and the lack of even basic Rear Parking Proximity warnings in my MYP following the removal of USS (with no timeline to this being rectified). Adding remote farting functionality in the Christmas Update really added insult to injury...

Poor rear visibility with no Parking Sensors, no Summon/AutoSummon features in Advanced Autopilot (these were advertised at purchase) and an 'Autopilot' system that is definitely worse than the Mercedes/BMW/Audi equivalents (especially noticeable in the poor weather most of the Northern Hemisphere is having at the moment)? On a $80k car (after options)?

Sure...the screen is humongous and the OS/App runs well in the main (at the moment I'd take iDrive + Apple CarPlay/Android Auto over it) and the Supercharger network is strong vs. alternatives...but beyond that: meh!

I can only imagine this post is part of some post-purchase affirmation but I can tell you I'm thoroughly underwhelmed so far and reckon a lot of Tesla owners have been at the Musk Kool-Aid!

I think there's more to it than Musk Kool-Aid.

I sold my first Tesla 18 months ago and went back to ICE. I was looking for more room and a better experience on road trips, but found myself missing the electric powertrain pretty quickly. I bought a 2022 EV6 back in July, and it's pretty much the opposite experience of what you describe. Incredibly solid build quality that would feel at home on any premium brand. It had a quiet and refined ride that put my Model Y to shame and a slick 800v architecture that beats Tesla for charging speed.

But here I am after trading for a Model Y earlier this month. Kia's software experience was its biggest downfall. It had ultrasonic sensors, but I had to spend half a day driving to the dealership to have a software glitch with the HVAC system resolved. The engineers saw fit to equip the thing with a battery heater, but the software developers didn't bother with logic to make it work. The mobile app was functional, but extremely slow and downright braindead compared to Tesla's app. You had to wait ~30 seconds after issuing a command for the app to receive confirmation to do anything else, and it would frequently time out. Trip planning seems like a natural thing for an EV to do, but the EV6 lacked the ability to plan charging stops, leaving the driver to figure it out for himself. The car was amazing, and much better in most of the areas that you ding Tesla for. But the software experience absolutely killed it.

I underestimated what a difference the software experience made when I went for the EV6. That was an expensive mistake, and I'm extremely happy with my new Y. I came back with my eyes open, and I'm honestly impressed with how many things my '22 does better than my old Model 3. It's also significantly more refined than the '20 Model Y that I test-drove a couple of years ago. I'll take that as a win.

I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing…
Possible, but I think it’s time after 14 years to recognize Tesla is no longer in its manufacturing infancy, and no longer deserves a pass for being one. I believe it has progressed beyond infancy, beyond toddler-ship, and into tween and teenager levels with mainstream expectations. What companies (banks, bakeries, grocers, weapons manufacturers, blender makers, airplanes) are still considered infants after almost a decade and a half of product deliveries?

On the positive side, Musk’s greatest strength in my opinion is his ability to build production scale manufacturing facilities in unheard of short timeframes. The product isn’t always as good as desired, but the fact that he can go from unimproved plots of land to designed levels of factory production in under a year is just incredible to me. It takes me six months just to get a plumber to fix a leak.

Yes, Tesla has not been around as long as Ford, Vauxhall, GM, Porsche, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Rolls-Royce, Willys, the legacy manufacturer of your choice (or dreams). But many of those have disappeared such as Pontiac, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and boutique manufacturers like DeLorean and Tucker. Getting to production scale of any product is the first hurdle, then ensure it fits your target buyers, then take out costs one by one to see who you piss off and who can and cannot live with the change (i.e., still buy the car or defect to another brand). This last phase seems to be where Tesla is now.

Reactions: Ratch and JonB65

Well, I don't have much taste for Kool-Aid, but heading into my fourth year owning a Tesla, I am quite satisfied. FWIW I concede that your negative comments are accurate, and well founded. Nevertheless, the whole of the ownership experience has gone quite well for me.

The supercharger advantage is probably a bigger thing in the USA vs Great Britain. You are ahead of us in alternate charging alternatives for one thing. They are abysmal here. Our SC network spans major highways, coast-to-coast. This was the case even three years ago when we took our Model 3 to California and back from our home in Florida. We traded that car back to Tesla for our Model Y. Most people don't purchase an expensive EV to use only for local driving and commuting. If you want to hit the Interstates, the only choice is a Tesla.

I am 76, so I no longer ride sport bikes. There were two things I loved about those little rockets: Squirting through holes in traffic and watching stop lights and vehicles disappear in my rear-view mirror. And, even longer ago, the pure acceleration of a clean AV8A Harrier on a cold day. But I digress. My Model Y with boost recalls those sensations to my mind.

Finally, we too quickly forget how revolutionary this Tesla experience is. Not just in driving satisfaction, but in the novelty of improved manufacturing and marketing methods. Try to buy the very recent "competitive" makes. They are hard to find, and even more difficult to buy at the advertised price - at least in my area. Tesla created this new world of EV's, pure and simple, and, IMHO, they did it with transparency, courage and honesty. Giving them credit for that is part of the continuing satisfaction that I experience every time I drive my Tesla.

Cheers ;)

I would like to continuously get your feedback on ownership. I'm also a new Tesla owner. Sure, I support what the brand is trying to do and that's why we ended up with a Tesla as one of our cars but I wouldn't give Tesla a pass simply because they are an American brand. Standards are standards, I think it's best for all consumers in the end if we hold these manufacturers (local or not) to continue bringing their best foot forward. I'll definitely be more understanding if the Model Y is being sold to compete against the Ford EcoSport but it's not. It's reviewed and lined up against other "luxury" offerings.
Hi Everyone, with wishes for a good remaining holidays:

I just picked up yesterday. I went over with a fine tooth comb and the silly detailed list on github.

First, let me address the "ethical" and other issues here. Peace on earth and goodwill toward men and all that ...stuff, can I propose that everyone (I'm a red-blooded, rootin' tootin' 'merican) give products manufactured in their own country a little boost in preference and price (like ~ 15%), and a huge NEGATIVE preference for buying from countries with bad human rights records (thanks XI Jinping and friends), like > 50% in price and preference, and let's give companies that are great corporate citizens some preference in there too (*). This will make a slightly better world, right? Now someone else said if we, as consumers, hold our own countries' products to the same QUALITY and function standards (ie just plain be honest) then we can weight this fairly and independently (I.e. Tesla fanboys/girls are nuts.), and this will only result in better, more competitive products in the long run. (**)
--------------> MY Conclusion: Criticize Tesla fairly, evaluate the competition fairly and ethically, but buy the best EV for you available now. It's not that difficult, really.

Second, let me give you the results of my pick-up of Model Y long range perl white 19": I'm not objective here. I've never purchased a new car before, and never dreamed of buying one, until Teslas were more affordable new than used. So, my car was so f----g clean and gorgeous and nearly perfect, I was absolutely blown away. OMG. The result of fine tooth combing was that SO found that the "hood" alignment was a bit off in 3-D, so one side was slightly low to the touch at the gap, and the other side high, but you couldn't see it, only feel it if you ran your hand across it. Also, one of the brake lights was not quite aligned with the other half on the next quarter panel, though the other side was perfect. Again, nothing you'd ever notice in a million years if not looking. Everything else was just impressively perfect.
NEW FOR 2023 (I think): There is black trim around the wheels which some kind of teslas don't have; it absolutely makes the look of the white. The seats are way nicer than I remember them from test drive.
People talk about > 2 hours for a pickup. The sales associate (SA) was with me in 3 minutes. The car was delayed a day with a day of warning via text, not much hassle. The whole experience was very, very nice.
NOTE: The list on github doesn't tell you to check for the J1772 connector. It was indeed in the car.
NOTE: I was communicating with my SA through texts. They were super-responsive and made the whole thing fantastic. Other people talk about nightmares on phone with cust svc. That was not my experience; try getting someone's text number.

Finally, the car: I suppose asking for the performance of one of the all-time classic cars, a late 90's Honda civic I'm used to, is just asking too much. But the awkward parking lot required lots of awkward backing out of, and since you can't see jack out of the Model Y, with heinous visibility, I had a ridiculously hard time.
-------------> Can someone please reply with hints for setup of cameras, and especially, learning how to drive with them (drive-by-wire?) for the luddite who never had a car with cameras and no visibility?
Then, performing a U turn on a normal sized street was a mess due to the pathetic turning radius.
(OK, to be balanced, in one line: you got insane power, good sharp turn handling, now pretty good build quality, good software/remote app, best network.)

So, Tesla's ain't perfect, especially the Model Y. But I had a great pickup experience, and no significant issues in the build. I recommend not stressing so much about build qualiy and trying to keep a clear head about other stuff, enjoying your car, and best of all STICKING IT TO THE FOSSIL ENERGY COMPANIES and leaving less CO2 for future generations.

Happy holidays and a happy new year - TPC

----------------
* After emailing accessory mfgrs 10 times, one, spigen, came clean and said screen protectors are made some parts in China PRC (human rights abuses in Xinjiang, etc. etc. ) and some in Taiwan (democracy). *however*, they had some "green certification" and an easily followed link. I'm no certified eco-detective, I can't vouch for this, but the link went to a company that said that their certification funds windpower in India - so, no bogus tree-planting "offsets", but real wind energy, and that in a country vast majority powered by coal. So, faced with 20 screen protector companies probably just re-packaging the same thing, or maybe the top few mixed China PRC and Taiwan origin, it was REALLY NICE to have an option to pick one that contributes to making clean energy. I wish more of my purchases included this option. (And I really hope this isn't a scam, as so many of these things are.)

** You'll notice I omitted mention of Elon personally or as CEO. Not gonna go there. *sigh*, I do wish he'd stop embarrassing us owners, but anyway, not gonna go there, make your own thread.

Reactions: JonB65 and jpfive
I bought a 2022 Model 3 AWD back in June - very well put together and a lot of fun to drive. I miss the “thunk” of a bmw or Audi door and that feeling of luxury. This is different, but no less enjoyable for me though. The interface, software, and performance have been great.

I am currently experimenting with FSD beta with the subscription option - the highway part is brilliant but the problems around town - mostly weird behavior at intersections where it can’t decide which lane goes straight - upset my wife greatly. I think these problems can be solved - I hope they do so fast.

The irony is that the highway part is old code that's been in production for years. The beta is only the "around town" part which is the FSD code. Unless you're an employee running V11 of course (which uses the new FSD code for the highway).

if you are purchasing tesla, you are investing in a disruptive company that hasn't reached operational maturity. Also, Tesla is the leading EV manufacturer, so they have a magnifying glass on their PnL's. They have to satisfy stakeholders given the circumstances.

For that reason, their pursuit of operational efficiencies may not have the best customer experience or quality control in mind, i.e., their talent on the front lines, and assembly practices for non-core components. I mean, most of the quality control is done by the consumer when they pick it up.

Bottom line, they have yet to mature to a titan of industry, and until then, the eager Tesla owner should understand that prior to purchase.

I think there's more to it than Musk Kool-Aid.

I sold my first Tesla 18 months ago and went back to ICE. I was looking for more room and a better experience on road trips, but found myself missing the electric powertrain pretty quickly. I bought a 2022 EV6 back in July, and it's pretty much the opposite experience of what you describe. Incredibly solid build quality that would feel at home on any premium brand. It had a quiet and refined ride that put my Model Y to shame and a slick 800v architecture that beats Tesla for charging speed.

But here I am after trading for a Model Y earlier this month. Kia's software experience was its biggest downfall. It had ultrasonic sensors, but I had to spend half a day driving to the dealership to have a software glitch with the HVAC system resolved. The engineers saw fit to equip the thing with a battery heater, but the software developers didn't bother with logic to make it work. The mobile app was functional, but extremely slow and downright braindead compared to Tesla's app. You had to wait ~30 seconds after issuing a command for the app to receive confirmation to do anything else, and it would frequently time out. Trip planning seems like a natural thing for an EV to do, but the EV6 lacked the ability to plan charging stops, leaving the driver to figure it out for himself. The car was amazing, and much better in most of the areas that you ding Tesla for. But the software experience absolutely killed it.

I underestimated what a difference the software experience made when I went for the EV6. That was an expensive mistake, and I'm extremely happy with my new Y. I came back with my eyes open, and I'm honestly impressed with how many things my '22 does better than my old Model 3. It's also significantly more refined than the '20 Model Y that I test-drove a couple of years ago. I'll take that as a win.
I sold a Polestar 2 and bought our second MYP. Huge improvement over the glitchy and inefficient P2.

I'm thoroughly underwhelmed so far ...
Hey @flynndean, I am sorry you are dissatisfied with your new car ... that is sad. I do hope that Tesla comes up with a reasonable alternative sensor system with Vision soon (my own MYP ETD is Feb/Mar '23). Maybe they will also allow music through the app of your choice?

Indeed, I noted poor rear visibility the moment I took a test drive. Not nearly as good as most of the 14 or 15 cars I've owned. The '03 Toyota BLIT was about on par with the MYP, but we managed. I drove a buddy's Lotus Europa for a while, and swore never to complain about rearview, lol :). My Honda Odyssey had USS, and the beeping drove me nuts (disabled). My M3SR still has functioning (I guess Japan didn't get the "update"), but I don't think I've ever really used it. Fortunately, it's not quite as annoying as the Honda. (note that I was driving on and off ships and around the dockyards since a teen, so suckled on tight driving/parking situations ... no assistance necessary).

About music, Wow! ... this generation is obsessed! ;) I'm happy if I can get an album started, then listen to the end. When I want REAL music, I hop on my de-catted Triumph Bonneville :cool:.

Cheers, not with Kool-Aid or Bile, but maybe a Merlot or Beaujolais 🍷 A Happier New Year to you!

Merlot the Papillon and Beaujolais the Border Collie

Merlot and Beaujolais.jpg

• Love
Reactions: TomB985
Possible, but I think it’s time after 14 years to recognize Tesla is no longer in its manufacturing infancy, and no longer deserves a pass for being one. I believe it has progressed beyond infancy, beyond toddler-ship, and into tween and teenager levels with mainstream expectations. What companies (banks, bakeries, grocers, weapons manufacturers, blender makers, airplanes) are still considered infants after almost a decade and a half of product deliveries?

On the positive side, Musk’s greatest strength in my opinion is his ability to build production scale manufacturing facilities in unheard of short timeframes. The product isn’t always as good as desired, but the fact that he can go from unimproved plots of land to designed levels of factory production in under a year is just incredible to me. It takes me six months just to get a plumber to fix a leak.

Yes, Tesla has not been around as long as Ford, Vauxhall, GM, Porsche, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Rolls-Royce, Willys, the legacy manufacturer of your choice (or dreams). But many of those have disappeared such as Pontiac, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and boutique manufacturers like DeLorean and Tucker. Getting to production scale of any product is the first hurdle, then ensure it fits your target buyers, then take out costs one by one to see who you piss off and who can and cannot live with the change (i.e., still buy the car or defect to another brand). This last phase seems to be where Tesla is now.
Do legacy makers like BMW, MERC and AUDI deserve a pass for not being able to make a timing chain tensioner or headgasket that won't fail after five or six years? Do any makers deserve a pass for engineering that fails on a scale that regularly costs thousands or tens of thousands per repair? They've all been around for literally a hundred years and can't get ICE or their electronics into anything that will last past a lease period.

It's a really strange mindset that dismisses things Tesla has done, and focus on negatives of the brand. In the same breath, ignoring the negatives of legacy makers and only comparing to their strengths.

For example, in the US, the Supercharger network is vastly superior. They built this dead simple system to charge Teslas. Is creating this network of Superchargers not a cost and value added to msrp?
With the benefit of this benchmark, what have legacy brands done in the last decade? Exactly nothing. If VAG didn't f-up and were forced to pay to help make EA, everyone else would be far worse off that the $hit chargers they have. Even though they were involved, VAG are probably the worst with connectivity with EA.
Who knows if Tesla opens up Superchargers to everyone... it would definitely kill a large strength of the brand here.

In any case, currently, that is the definition of an exclusive "luxury" service and feature of the Tesla brand. You are not just paying for the car, you are paying for the supercharger network.
Just like at Mercedes, you aren't just paying for the car, you are paying for the giant showrooms, coffee and leather couches and loaner cars at the dealerships.

Luxury brands are not about paying for the car. They are about paying for the brand experience. Because god knows, you aren't paying for quality engineering. All cars nowadays are disposable plastic engineering. German cars... ffffff where do I start. I've owned them for a long time and just got tired of it. They are 3 yr lease vehicles and I'm a own it for ten years kind of guy. So, i'll take my chances with what i've seen "under the hood" of everything I considered.

I could go on and on. I'll be honest, no one on any Tesla forum or any review i've ever seen has addressed the manufacturing details.
It's so strange to just focus on panel gaps. Yes, if there is a problem, of course it needs to be addressed 100%. But have you inspected panel gaps on legacy brands?

I can't go back and edit posts I guess... so i'll put up my photos and comparisons later.

**my full quote - "I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification."
I think both are accurate, as they are improving and iterating every year it seems. They also focus and how to get production as streamlined as possible.

Last edited: