Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Dimensions, Weight and Performance Off-Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y gets about 15% less range (raw) on the highway fuel efficiency test.

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants
And that is not even that fast a test (average speed something like 48mph).

They use a larger scalar for the Model Y when calculating the EPA results because the 5-cycle results apparently allow it to do better in that calculation (there is a formula that is used to calculate a scaling to apply to 2-cycle results; that formula is based on the results of 5-cycle testing; the larger the scalar, the better the EPA number looks). The other factor of course is that aero dramatically affects only about 45% of the EPA number.

This improved scaling may well mean better results in adverse conditions (for whatever reason).

But best case scenario (ideal conditions for range) it will likely be substantially worse on the highway than Model 3 (I would guess more than 15% worse - so in ideal conditions, maybe an easy 210 miles rather than an easy 250 miles on the freeway with aeros on).

We’ll know more when the full test results documents are published on the EPA iaspub database. Right now the data above is highly likely to be correct, but is based on the EPA datafile results, so is a back-calculated estimate by me, and there may be an error (I noticed some small discrepancies I could not explain). And we don’t have the 5-cycle results to allow us to see how they calculate the ~7.5% higher scalar. (~0.76 rather than ~0.7)

So no miracles here; at least it does not appear so with what we know so far.

The Model Y in the scenario is the Performance with 21" wheels; there's no real direct way to compare that to Model 3. Model Y w/default 19's vs. Model 3 with Aero is likely to be a lot closer..

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is true they used their best drive train with the smallest wheels for the test. It was the non-performance performance (19") model that was tested. Then with slopes and intersections at the discretion of the administrator came up with the 315 number. EPA range appears to me to be just smoke and mirrors and has no value when they start playing by different rules. Everyone should be using 0.7 or an agreed factored that is transparent to the public. If all are required to use the same and it is an easy calculation then it has some value for comparison. When you get "as determined by the administrator" that is just politics. Quick and dirty

City Carb 441.91 City EPA 129 Highway EPA 112

0.7 ((0.55 x 441.91) + (0.45 x 441.91 (112/129)) = 291 mile range. Still pretty good.

From the model 3 wheel info the 21" on the Y will take a hit on range. But not like -15F. Teslas answer to the equation is the right one and it is super chargers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Imagine that if Tesla does not include a trailer hitch, that the aftermarket will fill the void.

That is incorrect. The numbers are for the 315 mile range Model Y. Compared to the Performance Model 3 with 18” wheels.

Info is straight from the 2020 EPA data file; you can confirm for yourself.

Ahh sorry - on the mobile device I couldn't zoom in any more and the 21" from the Model S was overlapping the Model Y line a bit.

That said I really hope the highway range 'real world' isn't as bad (worse than model 3) as your math suggests.. :/ You may be right.

Saw an suv tax credit for suv's that are greater than a certain GVWR (commercial) but not a lower one. If the cops stop you (in an accident) and you have more weight in your vehicle than what is on the side of the door one would think TMC is not going to help.