Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a story on one of the EV web news of someone PPF'ing their white Y's roof glass a similar white color. The purpose of which was to keep the interior a lot cooler. As a bonus, the car looked nice with an all white roof. It was a creative and not-too expensive solution.

Brian, from i1Tesla, broke his roof glass from the headrest bumping up against the inside of glass, lending some evidence of the convex shape of the glass being much weaker from that side. The resultant crack wasn't too terrible, and for the time being, he also installed vinyl wrap on the top of the roof glass matching the color of his car. This also cut down on the UV heat gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nakk
I read a story on one of the EV web news of someone PPF'ing their white Y's roof glass a similar white color. The purpose of which was to keep the interior a lot cooler. As a bonus, the car looked nice with an all white roof. It was a creative and not-too expensive solution.
Here is the YouTube video. Gjeebs in Phoenix.

I got this one from Amazon and I'm very happy with it:

The picture of this one is identical to the Tesmanian picture but it's half the price. I've had very good experiences buying Tesla accessories from Amazon and AliExpress. IMO there is no benefit to buying things from Tesmanian, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, etc if you can get the same thing for less elsewhere.

The picture of this one is identical to the Tesmanian picture but it's half the price. I've had very good experiences buying Tesla accessories from Amazon and AliExpress. IMO there is no benefit to buying things from Tesmanian, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, etc if you can get the same thing for less elsewhere.
RPM is horrible. The owner is a complete 💩

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93

Wow, you're right! It's the exact same pictures. I didn't think Tesmanian was just drop shipping other generic products? I guess I was wrong. I canceled the Tesmanian and ordered this one. Thank you.

Wow, you're right! It's the exact same pictures. I didn't think Tesmanian was just drop shipping other generic products? I guess I was wrong. I canceled the Tesmanian and ordered this one. Thank you.
I've experienced this with other products as well. They are probably made in the same factory in China.
What's RPM?
RPM is RPMTelsa.

Thanks. I misunderstood his response. He was commenting on your list saying don't buy from RPM, not commenting on the item we were discussing. Got it now.
I've bought from all of them. They often get parts before Amazon or AliExpress. It's only in the past year or so that I've noticed the same things eventually showing up for less at other sites. But some things are still exclusive. For example, IMO the Tesmanian floor mat set is really good (including mats for the back of the rear seats) and I haven't yet seen it elsewhere.

I've seen some things show up on AliExpress first and then eventually get to Amazon. The downside of AliExpress is delivery usually takes about a month. I've been happy with their products.

You can usually get a 10% or 20% discount code from YouTubers who review products from the Tesla exclusive stores. It really pays to shop around, including reviews on YouTube.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Anyone have experience with the two piece Tesmanian one? 2022-2023 Tesla Model Y Sunshade (Glass Roof) - 2 pcs
I have this one from Amazon. It works really well. Zero sagging.
unfortunately no longer available but they're all pretty much the same idea

When I clicked on the link given by woolymammoth17 today 1/16/2023 it does not say "no longer available" . It looks good though. I don't need it YET from Philadelphia. When summer comes I may change my mind?

Do U have any "sagging" issue that others reported?
I don't wanna lose the view of "sky" yet, will see
None that I can see. If you see "sagging" comments on Amazon, that is most likely because they used the same listing for the 1-piece version. When I looked at newer comments for the 2-piece version, I didn't see any sagging complaints.

And with the mesh version, you still see the sky... it's just like through a screen door.

If I were to buy one today, I would get one with the opaque velcro panels so you can block light 100% but take them on and off as desired.

None that I can see. If you see "sagging" comments on Amazon, that is most likely because they used the same listing for the 1-piece version. When I looked at newer comments for the 2-piece version, I didn't see any sagging complaints.

And with the mesh version, you still see the sky... it's just like through a screen door.

If I were to buy one today, I would get one with the opaque velcro panels so you can block light 100% but take them on and off as desired.
Thanks, It's good to know. WHERE did U buy yours from?

From Tesmanian I do not see the selection of "Opaque Velcro Panels". If I decide to buy one, as long as I still can see the sky then most likely just leave it up there permanently (as long as it looks good enough for me)

Untitled.jpg