Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in how Tesla's OEM Sunshade they just released (Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade) compares to all of these third-party versions. Perhaps they've solved the sagging issue in the nearly 2 years it took them to introduce one...
I, personally, wouldn't waste $120 on the Tesla branded one. This is exactly the same version that when installed, it will eventually develop a "sag" in the middle of the screen due to its sheer size. There are other versions out there with magnets/suction cups that hold up the sagging part of the screen.

That said, I have the magnet version where two thin metal coins are affixed to the glass then the magnets are put-on from bottom side of the screen to push the mesh closer to the glass. I've had it for the entire summer of 2021 here in SoCal. It worked great. I put it away for the winter because the sun isn't as glaring and as hot during the winter months.

I, personally, wouldn't waste $120 on the Tesla branded one. This is exactly the same version that when installed, it will eventually develop a "sag" in the middle of the screen due to its sheer size. There are other versions out there with magnets/suction cups that hold up the sagging part of the screen.

That said, I have the magnet version where two thin metal coins are affixed to the glass then the magnets are put-on from bottom side of the screen to push the mesh closer to the glass. I've had it for the entire summer of 2021 here in SoCal. It worked great. I put it away for the winter because the sun isn't as glaring and as hot during the winter months.
Yea, I wouldn't either but I know lots of people would be interested. I actually bought the TEMAI version because I heard it is more rigid and has less sag but don't have the MY yet to test it out.

I am not saying you are wrong, but have you actually seen one or do you know where they source it from?

I am not saying you are wrong, but have you actually seen one or do you know where they source it from?
No, I have not see the Tesla branded one but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Here's a quick FYI on OEM goods. Tesla would go out and find the cheapest but reliable manufacturer to make their sunshade. And more than half of the time, they come from the same factories in China where all the drop shippers do business with on Amazon. Only now, because Tesla endorses it as their version, the price jumps a 100%!! I got mine from Tesmanian during a BF sale last year for $63 with shipping and it even has the tab that says "Tesla" on it. I am NOT paying $120 for the exact same one because it will come with a Tesla bag. Even worse, not for the one that doesn't even come with magnets so that it will sag. 😆

Yep, I bought one before they offered the magnets so they sent me 4 ea. magnets early on. It works well with those, installed Apr-Oct here with no issues. I don't see how a Tesla one could be better.

Well, after a summer (April-October here) of using a Tesmanian roofshade that sagged like crazy, I tried the Temai one when it was on sale on Amazon. I ended up returning it since it had horrible gaps on the sides. I decided to give Tesla's a go. I have a feeling it's going to sag the same since they couldn't even get a product photo without it sagging lol... We'll see. At least it will match the hatch one.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and PNWLeccy
Using magnets makes the sag worse because it stretches the fabric. With a single magnet, there will still be sag to the left, right, front, and rear of the magnet. You need like four magnets spread out to minimize sag.

The glass roof is domed upward, so even if the fabric was taut to the edges, there is the illusion of “sag” because of the space between the glass and the fabric in the middle. This is how it is with the Temai I am using now. The fabric is woven much tighter than the Amazon shades so it technically doesn’t sag downward but it goes straight across and there is still space above it.

The glass roof is domed upward, so even if the fabric was taut to the edges, there is the illusion of “sag” because of the space between the glass and the fabric in the middle. This is how it is with the Temai I am using now. The fabric is woven much tighter than the Amazon shades so it technically doesn’t sag downward but it goes straight across and there is still space above it.
This. You're right, it's 'apparent' sag because the fabric goes straight across but the roof is domed. Great point.

I don't know why people buy accessories, accessories that they don't use/need much-simply piling up the cost of the car.
The Tesla SunShade for Model 3 was my favorite upgrade. It helped cut noise down in the noisy cabin. It also slightly insulates requiring you not to run heat as high to feel comfortable. Makes it more cozy. Some folks even took that further with thicker sunshades for more dampening and insulation effect.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and Sideman7
Using magnets makes the sag worse because it stretches the fabric. With a single magnet, there will still be sag to the left, right, front, and rear of the magnet. You need like four magnets spread out to minimize sag.

The sag is real, even if the dome of the roof accentuates it even more. Your statement about the magnets making the sag worse makes no sense. If they’re stretching the fabric by holding it up against the glass there’s no way the sag can be worse.

The Tesla SunShade for Model 3 was my favorite upgrade. It helped cut noise down in the noisy cabin. It also slightly insulates requiring you not to run heat as high to feel comfortable. Makes it more cozy. Some folks even took that further with thicker sunshades for more dampening and insulation effect.

This is a very good point. I didn't realize how much reflected sound was dampened until I took mine off at the end of the summer. It was noticeable. Also, if you live in a hot climate, a roof shade is pretty much required.

Also, if you live in a hot climate, a roof shade is pretty much required.
I would say if live anywhere south of the arctic circle it’s required. Most consider Minnesota more cold than hot, but it’s required here, too.

The extra insulation is big advantage in the summer. Even though the sunroof has an IR coating, the glass gets quite hot in the sun and no matter what you’ve coated it with, that heat radiates into the car. The sun shade places an extra air gap between the glass and the fabric, effectively blocking the radiation.

The panoramic sunroof is cool but given the choice I’d rather have a ’traditional’ sunroof, or none at all. In all the other cars I’ve owned with sunroofs I’ve generally had the cover over them in the summer. Even with the special treatments, films and laminations the glass sunroof is noisier and insulates poorly, losing heat in the winter and gaining heat in the summer. Both of these are of even more significance in an EV because of the extra energy wasted to heat or cool the car.

Here in NJ, summers are very hot and humid and I have to say, I found no issue with the glass roof. I fully expected I would but decided to just give it a summer before looking around for a sunshade. Yes, if you put your hand up near the roof, you can feel the heat but I didn't sense it baking my head. And the interior cools off so quickly when you precondition, it was great. I wouldn't want to block off one of the great features of the car and am glad I don't feel the need to.
Disclosure: I have a full head of hair with only a small bald(ing) spot. YMMV.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I would say if live anywhere south of the arctic circle it’s required. Most consider Minnesota more cold than hot, but it’s required here, too.

The extra insulation is big advantage in the summer. Even though the sunroof has an IR coating, the glass gets quite hot in the sun and no matter what you’ve coated it with, that heat radiates into the car. The sun shade places an extra air gap between the glass and the fabric, effectively blocking the radiation.

The panoramic sunroof is cool but given the choice I’d rather have a ’traditional’ sunroof, or none at all. In all the other cars I’ve owned with sunroofs I’ve generally had the cover over them in the summer. Even with the special treatments, films and laminations the glass sunroof is noisier and insulates poorly, losing heat in the winter and gaining heat in the summer. Both of these are of even more significance in an EV because of the extra energy wasted to heat or cool the car.
I wholeheartedly agree. Even the mesh sunshade let too much light and heat in for my liking so I went with the fully opaque reflective covers from Heatshields. I thought I would take them off in the Winter, but when I did I discovered just how cold the overhead window was. The shields provide about a half inch air gap that allows the car to retain heat much better in cold weather. So actually they provide year round comfort.

I realize I am in the minority on this one, but I guess I can't find any way to enjoy my Model Y sunroof since I just keep wanting to cover it up. I wish Tesla offered a way to dim the roof electronically.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod