Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my LR today as well.
I think it definitely has updated suspension as it's a lot softer on rough roads and was a lot less harsh than the Sept 22 build test drive vehicles (Btw there's a new test drive model Y in Melb Mulgrave ”CJC140” which is a Apr 23 build that feels the same).
Also confirm USS
No red tinge on the cameras
No rear trunk cover (I think in the US it's retrofittable) or maybe just get the aftermarket temai one.
Also no extended rear seats :( which I saw a few video sites in China showcasing 2023 RWD & LR model Ys has them. link

but 6mm2 is the standard 3-phase 32A install, and good for ~40m distance.
He said the voltage drop for 35m is abut 1% for the 6mm².
Which is within spec. 10mm² apparently only 0.5% (assuming full 16 amp per wire). So not a lot of difference.

Also the other confusing things is he also says standard 3 phase 32 amp but isnt the 3 phase Gen 3 is 16 amp per phase = 48 amps
So where does the 32 amp come in?.
(Im completely NFI when it comes to these things)

he also says standard 3 phase 32 amp but isnt the 3 phase Gen 3 is 16 amp per phase = 48 amps
The wall connector can carry up to 32 amps per phase.

The Model Y (and Model 3) will only draw 16 amps per phase.

You don't add them together to make 48A, at least not in terms of what size cable you need as each phase is still only carrying 16A

You could in theory install a thinner cable and program the wall connector to only supply 16A and you wouldn't notice any difference in your car.

But if you allow for 32A then single-phase cars (eg the BYD Atto 3) or 22kW capable cars (like the 2014-2016 Model S with dual chargers) can still charge at their maximum charge rate. And it future proofs in case you get a different EV in the future.

I was thinking more like 16 amp x3 = 3phase 48amp.
Maybe thats completely incorrect
You will get the charge rate as if you were drawing 48A at 240V

But it's spread across three wires (one for each phase) which only see 16A each.

For three phase circuits your sparky typically runs "4 Core plus Earth" cable where 3 of those cores carry the three phases, one carries the neutral (which for a perfectly balanced three phase load like an EV charger won't carry any power) and the earth (ground) is self explanatory.

In 6mm 4 core plus Earth each core (wire) is 6mm and each can carry up to 32A for ~40m

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
The wall connector can carry up to 32 amps per phase.

The Model Y (and Model 3) will only draw 16 amps per phase.

You don't add them together to make 48A, at least not in terms of what size cable you need as each phase is still only carrying 16A

You could in theory install a thinner cable and program the wall connector to only supply 16A and you wouldn't notice any difference in your car.

But if you allow for 32A then single-phase cars (eg the BYD Atto 3) or 22kW capable cars (like the 2014-2016 Model S with dual chargers) can still charge at their maximum charge rate. And it future proofs in case you get a different EV in the future.
This is useful info which I will be able to use when talking to my sparky. I have a similar run of 30m from the switchboard.

Ah Now i get it . The 3 phase voltage is 415V rather than 240 V (even though each core carries 240V/16A)
The total current in 3 phase is therefore less than 48amps. 48amps in 240V = 27 amps in 415V
That's still not how it works.

415V is the voltage between the phases, but if you're drawing ~ 11kW you still call it a 16A circuit because that's all each conductor is carrying.

And if you're using phase-phase voltage you multiply the volts by the square root of 3 (1.73) by the amps so 415 x 1.73 x 16 which is 11,500W (11.5kW)

If you're using phase-neutral voltage (240V) it's volts x amps x 3 which is also 11,500

Each wire is still only carrying 16A.

• Informative