Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Rear Door Paint Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: So I dropped my car off for its first service since I originally picked it up and it had a lot of things to get fixed including replacing my hood because of a pretty bad dent on top. Getting the hood took forever. I asked the service girl that was helping me if the body shop can fix the rear door panels that were affected by driving up in the snow while its there to change out my hood and realign everything else. To my surprise she said no problem at all and that she won't charge me to get it back to original. I also asked if they can put the Tesla ppf protector on both rear door panels and she said no problem but I do have to pay for that. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I pick up the car next week!

Update: So I dropped my car off for its first service since I originally picked it up and it had a lot of things to get fixed including replacing my hood because of a pretty bad dent on top. Getting the hood took forever. I asked the service girl that was helping me if the body shop can fix the rear door panels that were affected by driving up in the snow while its there to change out my hood and realign everything else. To my surprise she said no problem at all and that she won't charge me to get it back to original. I also asked if they can put the Tesla ppf protector on both rear door panels and she said no problem but I do have to pay for that. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I pick up the car next week!
Actually, they are sending the rear door PPF kit to anyone that wants one for free so not sure why of all things they would charge you for that?

Well, how nice for them to actually acknowledge the issue instead of just denying. Where is your service center? Lol.

I've got 14k miles with PPF, flaps, and ceramic coating. No paint issues on the door though the plastic trim underneath is definitely sandblasted so I would have had the same issues as everyone else here if I didn't get the paint protection on from the start.

me too. I also live in BC, got my car in Calgary though in the winter. Paint was damaged before I even got home. Definitely want in on the class action at this point after I asked nicely a few times! I'll send you a message if I can figure that out...
Update, I emailed [email protected] and got a call back from the Calgary service centre. They are adamant they will do nothing about the paint, say they do not feel responsible for sending vehicle out with no flaps and no paint protection (my fault for driving it on actual roads I suppose? sheesh...) Said they are going to fix the door alignment issue and touch up the associated paint damage, but nothing for the main issue of pitted paint from rocks kicked up by the front tires. I'm trying to decide if this is worth making a public issue somehow? Is it "news" for some consumer portion of a news show? "Tesla car paint can't handle winter roads; Tesla won't support warranty". Are they violating some consumer protection laws? Is a class action winnable? What would be the first step? Or time to suck it up, save my energy and move on, paying for repairs out of my own pocket?
IMG-4449.jpg

What happened to
Update, I emailed [email protected] and got a call back from the Calgary service centre. They are adamant they will do nothing about the paint, say they do not feel responsible for sending vehicle out with no flaps and no paint protection (my fault for driving it on actual roads I suppose? sheesh...) Said they are going to fix the door alignment issue and touch up the associated paint damage, but nothing for the main issue of pitted paint from rocks kicked up by the front tires. I'm trying to decide if this is worth making a public issue somehow? Is it "news" for some consumer portion of a news show? "Tesla car paint can't handle winter roads; Tesla won't support warranty". Are they violating some consumer protection laws? Is a class action winnable? What would be the first step? Or time to suck it up, save my energy and move on, paying for repairs out of my own pocket? View attachment 854866

I would just repaint it and do PPF.

So many people complain about PPF not being worth it in other threads, and then I see threads like this.

I would just repaint it and do PPF.

So many people complain about PPF not being worth it in other threads, and then I see threads like this.
Every car I see (non-Tesla) with rear door/fender flare has some sort of protective PPF FROM THE FACTORY!!! VAG, Toyota, Nissan, etc.

This is NOT the fault of the consumer. The fact that Tesla even SELLS, as an "accessory", PPF for this area shows that they are aware of the issue.

Freshness: Would you really spends several hundred dollars, out of your own pocket? I know I wouldn't.

Every car I see (non-Tesla) with rear door/fender flare has some sort of protective PPF FROM THE FACTORY!!! VAG, Toyota, Nissan, etc.

This is NOT the fault of the consumer. The fact that Tesla even SELLS, as an "accessory", PPF for this area shows that they are aware of the issue.

Freshness: Would you really spends several hundred dollars, out of your own pocket? I know I wouldn't.

Not all cars come with PPF from the factory

Freshness: You are correct. I should have said many/most cars "...with rear door/fender flare..." come with PPF in the vulnerable areas. Certainly cars in the $50k + range have the protection.
it’s an option for many cars, albeit standard on many also.

Owned many BMW M cars which have much wider fenders and none came with PPF

The only cars I’ve seen that always come with factory PPF are my 911s which are junk anyways and turn yellow quickly.

Then everyone would be complaining that the OEM turn yellow, I’m sure.

My 2022 S had PPF from the factory and I removed it after about 2 months

Last edited:
I thought I saw a newer Y with a design change.......no flares, can anyone confirm this?. By tesla posting bulletins in certain regions and sending out free mud flaps and ppf they are admitting a universal design flaw and should at least be fixing the damage.........and yes this is a very winnable class action as they have already admitted fault by doing pointless damage control after the fact