Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y review by MKBHD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good review that. Hate to bang the build quality drum again but it shows they don’t take fit and finish seriously if they are willing to lend such a shabby looking car to someone with nearly 12 million subscribers . It’s a bit troubling.

That being said, it also strengthens the reasons I fell in love with the model 3 (the tech, the performance etc) and shows why I would prefer the 3 over the y (the lower down, improved handling) which conversely is why most people would prefer the Y!

Regardless of what I think though, the Y is going to be Tesla’s biggest selling car by some distance. Which can only be a good thing for both the company and us customers

Yeah - nice video. I like his style. Not too shouty or ""American"!

On build quality, I also noticed shading differences across the panels on some of the shots in the review. It's something I've noticed on other red Teslas too. Can't understand why they can't get this sort of stuff right.

Reactions: Neilio
Good review. While the hatchback practicality of the Y has some appeal I remain unconvinced by the styling. It’s like a 3 stretched upwards and looks a little imbalanced to me. I think the 3 looks sleeker (obviously) and more balanced in that respect. I also must be the only person who prefers the chrome accents on the 3 to the Matt black on the Y. I see so many 3 owners doing “chrome delete” and always wonder why :)

Look forward to seeing a Y with my own eyes in a Tesla store, it might well change my opinion. I wasn’t convinced by the 3 until I laid my eyes on one myself. Now, I love it.

Good review that. Hate to bang the build quality drum again but it shows they don’t take fit and finish seriously if they are willing to lend such a shabby looking car to someone with nearly 12 million subscribers . It’s a bit troubling.

That being said, it also strengthens the reasons I fell in love with the model 3 (the tech, the performance etc) and shows why I would prefer the 3 over the y (the lower down, improved handling) which conversely is why most people would prefer the Y!

Regardless of what I think though, the Y is going to be Tesla’s biggest selling car by some distance. Which can only be a good thing for both the company and us customers

Well I was reading earlier that Forbes have done a review of the driver power survey.

On average Tesla have 250+ faults per 100 cars making them the worse performer with a normal car having 166.

Saying that though apparently Tesla have the highest driver satisfaction which is a weird contradiction.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Well I was reading earlier that Forbes have done a review of the driver power survey.

On average Tesla have 250+ faults per 100 cars making them the worse performer with a normal car having 166.

Saying that though apparently Tesla have the highest driver satisfaction which is a weird contradiction.
I think it's because people believe in the brand. Most car companies are must that, faceless companies that provide us with vehicles. Tesla have Brand image that no one short of the premium guys like Aston Martin can match. It makes people a lot more lenient with their satisfaction. Myself included. I'm reading comments of all the problems owners are having, and watching that video of a clearly flawed car and I'm STILL excited to get the car, because I believe in the company, or at least it's aims.

That's fine for now. However the 3 and most certainly the Y are going to be much more mainstream cars than the S and X. Tesla simply must improve quality because, whilst selling cars to people who believe in what they are doing gives them leeway, with the 3 and Y being mainstream cars a lot more people will be buying them just because they need a vehicle. These people will be less understanding of faults and idiosyncrasies so Tesla has to step up now it's mainstream.

I also must be the only person who prefers the chrome accents on the 3 to the Matt black on the Y.

Yes, I was always in two minds about the chrome delete idea and though some 3s I've seen look ok with black chrome unfortunately I think it emphasises the Y's bulky look. Maybe some defining lines could help its appearance because, to me, it's a bit of a big blob in comparison to the 3.

I quite like the murdered-out look of the Model Y in black. The dark alloys, lack of chrome and tinted windows completes this. I'm not a huge fan of it aesthetically in other colours, perhaps it's because black hides its "shapeliness" quite well.