Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading all the hand wringing on the forums you'd think my old P85 was obsolete -- but everyone who got a ride was blown away with the acceleration, tech, cargo space, and interior styling. Many couldn't believe my car was 3.5 years old.
Yeah, sometimes it seems like people too immersed in "Tesla space" lose all perspective and forget how awesome even the most
"humble" Tesla is in an absolute sense.

Oddly enough, I really don't see that many other tesla's here in Orange County, Southern California. I used to see a lot when I was commuting down the 405 in the carpool lane, but on city streets, I hardly ever see any. I get excited and grin whenever I see another one because it's still a rare sight for me to see another tesla.

I drove down south from LAX on the 405 through Orange County the other day, and at one point there were no less than three Model S on the freeway right in front of me.

A few days earlier in San Marcos, there was a Model X and two Model S in one intersection at the same time going in different directions.

Way to go!!!!

I had one of five Teslas being shown at the National Drive Electric Week event in Novato (Marin County, CA) yesterday. So many mini-Tesla moments!
  • Took a day off from work the day before, mostly to clean my car (I figure it had to be presentable), and discovered a new use for summoning while cleaning the wheels (kind of hard to clean around the brake calipers). Basically, the idea was clean as much as I could then summon the car forward and walk alongside, stopping it when the wheel rotation revealed a part that I missed. I am sure that my neighbor across the street (who works from home) was wondering what crazy thing I was doing with my car.
  • Arriving at the event and being directed next to a couple of other TMC members (@Blu Zap and @ChrisJ). Sure was glad I'd taken the time to clean my car the day before because theirs looked sharp! (@ChrisJ actually parked last and completed a perfect right echelon formation.)
  • Lots and lots of questions! The most common ones I remember were: "How far can you go on a charge?" "How long does it take to charge?" "What do you need to charge at home?" (Glad I brought my UMC and adapter collection.) "Are these the next-generation seats?" (Kind of an unexpected question, but two people asked this.) "How much does it cost?" (Well, they start around $65K and go up from there. Talked about the Model 3 and its price-point, saw some lightbulbs go on in people's heads.) "Do you have solar panels on your house?" (Also a little unexpected, but I got that question three times.)
  • Grandma to her two grade-school grandkids: "OK kids, see if you can find the cameras on this car." (Go Grandma! They needed a little help but we ended up having a nice talk about radar, ultrasonic sensors, and cameras.)
  • Getting mistaken for a Tesla employee, at least twice. (No, I don't work for Tesla, I just own this one here.) "Really? This is your car?" (Yep.) "Wow, you must really like it!" (Yep!)
  • A tweenage girl hopping behind the wheel, probably not realizing this wasn't a demo car. Watching the screens light up, she whispered, "Wow it's like a dream."
  • From the mom of said tweenager: "Are you a pilot?" (Um, no...mumble mumble...3.5 hours in log book...my wife made me stop...mumble mumble...why do you ask?) "This looks like the cockpit of an airplane!"
Basically four hours of Tesla Time (the only downside is that I was so busy I only got to see a few of the other cars / vendors). I totally recommend this experience...if you like talking about your car, showing it at an NDEW (or similar) event is a great way to spend a day, and hopefully get more people interested in EVs (whether Tesla or otherwise).

Bruce.

Five test rides at the South Paris ME NDEW event, and I lost count at South Portland this past weekend. Talked about and showed how autopilot is not autonomous and proved that an EV does not have to drive like a golf cart with a little launch demo. Scared one car-full (in a fun way) with Summon, once they were all strapped in I got out and the car started moving out of the parking space. Several Tesla’s were at the South Portland event were the stars of the show, including the one other (that I know of) Maine Model X, but the other smaller used/new EV’s on display and available for rides/drives/questions really brought home the idea that EV's are great daily driver cars with no gas bills and minimal repair costs. These events are great ways for people to explore how an EV can fit into their lives; I recommend all enthusiast owners bring their cars to one and be prepared to enjoy a few hours of Tesla Moments.

Five test rides at the South Paris ME NDEW event, and I lost count at South Portland this past weekend. Talked about and showed how autopilot is not autonomous and proved that an EV does not have to drive like a golf cart with a little launch demo. Scared one car-full (in a fun way) with Summon, once they were all strapped in I got out and the car started moving out of the parking space. Several Tesla’s were at the South Portland event were the stars of the show, including the one other (that I know of) Maine Model X, but the other smaller used/new EV’s on display and available for rides/drives/questions really brought home the idea that EV's are great daily driver cars with no gas bills and minimal repair costs. These events are great ways for people to explore how an EV can fit into their lives; I recommend all enthusiast owners bring their cars to one and be prepared to enjoy a few hours of Tesla Moments.

Thanks for being there and for all the rides you guys gave! I was there helping at the dealer Ride and Drive, and having to run and get copies of licenses for one of the dealers that was doing test drives. The lady at the community center who did most of the copying commented that "Maine needs a Tesla dealer", and I mentioned to her that Tesla owners were doing ride-alongs, so maybe when she was on break she could go ask for a ride. At one point I thought she'd gone home, but sure enough, when I came back later for another copy, she was back and told me she'd had a ride in a Tesla and loved it.

Charlotte events were last weekend but this one in Pembroke is next weekend. National Drive Electric Week Event - Pembroke

Other than that, I would suggest contacting local owners, like maybe @Cyclone. We have a group of 6 close-knit owners that get together periodically to do regular car shows. For instance, a local diner has a cruise-in every Thursday night that we crash sometimes. We also do Saturday morning Cars & Coffee events and there are several of those around town. Of course anywhere we go with 6 Teslas is automatically a show. :D

Edit - ok, I googled it for you. You guys should totally get the Charlotte owners together for this thing. Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

We do First Friday lunch at the Tesla Supercharger and First Saturday Cars and Coffee at the Windstream office in the Matthews neighborhood. We are trying to set up regular meetups for our South Carolina neighbor's too so they don't drive 50ish miles to meet with us. @muleferg drives 150ish miles from North Wilkesboro sometimes to meet with our group. He always has the best stories (was/is a paratrooper). A great group. @Btrflyl8e has been to one of our meetups. We are a welcoming group.

I got this quite a bit at the show I took mine too, also. A number of people assumed I was a sales rep or something. I didn't say
"Yeah, right, like Tesla would have a schlub like me selling their cars" ;) That's something that I hope Tesla appreciates: their
customers are better salespeople than any paid salesperson could hope to be.

I had two Owner Advisors from Tesla at the event chatting over the X they brought (last year they offered test drives in an S), so I'm not surprised that with my Tesla hat, Tesla shirt, and Tesla grin that I kept getting asked what it's like working for Tesla. ;)

I had one of five Teslas being shown at the National Drive Electric Week event in Novato (Marin County, CA) yesterday. So many mini-Tesla moments!
Bruce.

Bruce, I did the same thing in Maumee, Ohio (near Toledo) on Saturday. I plan on doing the event in Columbus, Ohio next Sunday.

The Maumee event was about 6 miles from the local Supercharger location. The event in Columbus is across town from the local Supercharger in Grove City, but it is only about 15 miles from home so no big deal.

I love these NDEW events. I first drove a Model S two years ago. I got my car about 2 weeks before last year's event in Columbus.

I get most of your questions when ever I am showing off the car.

Reactions: bmah
Kind of a Tesla and a dad moment. I was having a Clark Griswold/Christie Brinkley moment in my freshly tinted black Model S this past week. A fairy attractive woman was in her Mustang convertible and she was eyeballing the hell out of the S and here I was keeping up with her on the highway speeding a long.

Well she points and mouths something which I think comes out to "cute". And I am all smiling and enjoying this little interaction but then she points and I see my son in the rear view mirror waving at her from his booster seat.

She speeds off, I go back to discussions about Woody and Buzz and my wife calls me to don't forget to pick up the dry cleaning on the way home.

Reality. :)

There are a decent amount of Tesla's in the area, that I usually just go around my business oblivious to the outside world and don't have any "Tesla moments".

My wife is traveling, and I get to pick up my daughter from school. As I'm waiting my turn in the Kiss&Ride line, the school staff person who opens the door and lets the kid in, looks at my car and yells "WOW, IT'S A TESLA! NICE TESLA!". In the 10 seconds that it takes my daughter to get in the car, she tells me about how much she loves Tesla and how her boyfriend really wants one, I smile, thank her, wish her a nice day, and drive off.

There are a decent amount of Tesla's in the area, that I usually just go around my business oblivious to the outside world and don't have any "Tesla moments".

My wife is traveling, and I get to pick up my daughter from school. As I'm waiting my turn in the Kiss&Ride line, the school staff person who opens the door and lets the kid in, looks at my car and yells "WOW, IT'S A TESLA! NICE TESLA!". In the 10 seconds that it takes my daughter to get in the car, she tells me about how much she loves Tesla and how her boyfriend really wants one, I smile, thank her, wish her a nice day, and drive off.
You get points for saying "I get to pick up my daughter..." Instead of "I have to pick up my daughter"

Small Tesla moments over the weekend:
Drove the Tesla to Gainesville for the Gator game. Showed up on campus about 2 hours prior to kickoff (late by SEC tailgating standards) and was able to squeeze the car in to a tiny spot that was the last one left where we normally park. As I get out I see a small grey box on the wall. No way that's a plug, I think to myself. Sure enough it was, and you better believe I plugged in just for fun to charge at 3mi/hr. Got several looks, points, and questions of passerbys.
image.jpeg

After the game we pull up to a red light and I look left to see a girl who couldn't be older than 9 giving me enthusiastic thumbs up with her dad smiling in the background. I gave the thumbs up back, we Gator chomped back and forth, and I demonstrated the 0-60 on the green for smiles all around. I never knew a car could bring this much joy.

PS: This is the ultimate tailgate car, being able to have it chilled as we leave the stadium and diving in the icebox after sitting in the sun all day was incredible.

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and Xenius
Let's try this again -- the audio in the first video was bad.

This happened today -- watch for the "running man" on the left at the very start of the video:

Was that actually a "stop" at 1:41? You'd better hope the local constabulary doesn't subpoena your dashcam video!

I like the idea of one form of responsible transportation (Tesla) assisting someone in using another form (train).

I notice you're as bad as I am at forgetting to put it in Park before people get in/out, thus the beep-beep-
beeps
:(;)

NDEW is always a source of endless Tesla moments, and is always a blast. Highly recommended showing your car or giving test rides. The EV community is one of the main reasons EVs are finally starting to take over, so have some fun and participate.

I like to park my S near the entrance and open the frunk, so anyone entering the event gets to gaze in wonder upon the frunk. It's fun to watch people rubbernecking while walking. Often results in jaw-droppping facial expressions. Plus it attracts others for tons of questions.

This was the first year I've done test rides. Rides make all the difference. Especially when someone experiences a 320kW launch. From reading all the hand wringing on the forums you'd think my old P85 was obsolete -- but everyone who got a ride was blown away with the acceleration, tech, cargo space, and interior styling. Many couldn't believe my car was 3.5 years old.
NDEW is always a source of endless Tesla moments, and is always a blast. Highly recommended showing your car or giving test rides. The EV community is one of the main reasons EVs are finally starting to take over, so have some fun and participate.

I like to park my S near the entrance and open the frunk, so anyone entering the event gets to gaze in wonder upon the frunk. It's fun to watch people rubbernecking while walking. Often results in jaw-droppping facial expressions. Plus it attracts others for tons of questions.

This was the first year I've done test rides. Rides make all the difference. Especially when someone experiences a 320kW launch. From reading all the hand wringing on the forums you'd think my old P85 was obsolete -- but everyone who got a ride was blown away with the acceleration, tech, cargo space, and interior styling. Many couldn't believe my car was 3.5 years old.