Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I finally get mine by then I would really like to go! If you could provide me a link or flyer that would be great.

So far, Alabama is not Supercharger friendly but we have often used Jack Ingram Motors (Montgomery) and Benton Nissan of Hoover. Both have been very Tesla friendly. You would need a CHAdeMO adapter which comes in very handy not only here in Alabama but great to have along on road trips. I'm anxious for more Superchargers in Alabama.

Today we had the kickoff event in Charlotte for National Drive Electric Week. While getting set up, we say a few ICEs just park amongst us and go inside the stores of the shopping plaza. So I went ahead and blocked one section off with my car and put our tent at the other end.

After setting up I went inside to the Panera to grab a drink and when walking back out, I heard two ladies in the line talking to each other and one goes "Did you see that car with the hood up out there? It has no engine!!" My Tesla grin came out.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So far, Alabama is not Supercharger friendly but we have often used Jack Ingram Motors (Montgomery) and Benton Nissan of Hoover. Both have been very Tesla friendly. You would need a CHAdeMO adapter which comes in very handy not only here in Alabama but great to have along on road trips. I'm anxious for more Superchargers in Alabama.

B'ham desperately needs a SpC!

Had a cool Tesla moment today at the Tilted Kilt in King of Prussia, PA. Parking lot was pretty full, but I did find one spot and was in the middle of parking there. Just then a valet attendant runs over to me and says I can park my Tesla right in front. I said I didn't see any free spots up there. And he says, "Yeah, we have a spot for your Tesla there." So I circle back to the front of the parking lot and the guys waves in towards an area right by the entrance to the pub that seems reserved for deliveries or handicapped people. I confirmed if it's really ok to park there, and he says, "Definitely, this is where we let our customers with Teslas, Ferraris, etc park." So I did just that. I was pleasantly surprised by this bonus. :cool:

Had a cool Tesla moment today at the Tilted Kilt in King of Prussia, PA. Parking lot was pretty full, but I did find one spot and was in the middle of parking there. Just then a valet attendant runs over to me and says I can park my Tesla right in front. I said I didn't see any free spots up there. And he says, "Yeah, we have a spot for your Tesla there." So I circle back to the front of the parking lot and the guys waves in towards an area right by the entrance to the pub that seems reserved for deliveries or handicapped people. I confirmed if it's really ok to park there, and he says, "Definitely, this is where we let our customers with Teslas, Ferraris, etc park." So I did just that. I was pleasantly surprised by this bonus. :cool:

First, LOVE KOP and the Devon area. Wife was there for 1 year for an internship.
And LOVE this moment. I know the feeling because same thing just happened to me. Went to a vineyard in N. Georgia where huge event was going on so they were shuttling people into huge fields. We got to go straight to the event and park right out front where the Tesla chargers were. Such a good feeling!

I had one of five Teslas being shown at the National Drive Electric Week event in Novato (Marin County, CA) yesterday. So many mini-Tesla moments!
  • Took a day off from work the day before, mostly to clean my car (I figure it had to be presentable), and discovered a new use for summoning while cleaning the wheels (kind of hard to clean around the brake calipers). Basically, the idea was clean as much as I could then summon the car forward and walk alongside, stopping it when the wheel rotation revealed a part that I missed. I am sure that my neighbor across the street (who works from home) was wondering what crazy thing I was doing with my car.
  • Arriving at the event and being directed next to a couple of other TMC members (@Blu Zap and @ChrisJ). Sure was glad I'd taken the time to clean my car the day before because theirs looked sharp! (@ChrisJ actually parked last and completed a perfect right echelon formation.)
  • Lots and lots of questions! The most common ones I remember were: "How far can you go on a charge?" "How long does it take to charge?" "What do you need to charge at home?" (Glad I brought my UMC and adapter collection.) "Are these the next-generation seats?" (Kind of an unexpected question, but two people asked this.) "How much does it cost?" (Well, they start around $65K and go up from there. Talked about the Model 3 and its price-point, saw some lightbulbs go on in people's heads.) "Do you have solar panels on your house?" (Also a little unexpected, but I got that question three times.)
  • Grandma to her two grade-school grandkids: "OK kids, see if you can find the cameras on this car." (Go Grandma! They needed a little help but we ended up having a nice talk about radar, ultrasonic sensors, and cameras.)
  • Getting mistaken for a Tesla employee, at least twice. (No, I don't work for Tesla, I just own this one here.) "Really? This is your car?" (Yep.) "Wow, you must really like it!" (Yep!)
  • A tweenage girl hopping behind the wheel, probably not realizing this wasn't a demo car. Watching the screens light up, she whispered, "Wow it's like a dream."
  • From the mom of said tweenager: "Are you a pilot?" (Um, no...mumble mumble...3.5 hours in log book...my wife made me stop...mumble mumble...why do you ask?) "This looks like the cockpit of an airplane!"
Basically four hours of Tesla Time (the only downside is that I was so busy I only got to see a few of the other cars / vendors). I totally recommend this experience...if you like talking about your car, showing it at an NDEW (or similar) event is a great way to spend a day, and hopefully get more people interested in EVs (whether Tesla or otherwise).

Bruce.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link. I just registered for an upcoming event - National Drive Electric Week Event - Wayne

Hey @fallen888 always been meaning to get over there to Tilted Kilt. Are you aware of the charging spots for the Tesla store in the Kop Garage near Rock Bottom Brewery? The Tesla employee's will be happy to move a car to let you charge if you show up and there aren't any spots. I've done it several times now, they're a great bunch in that store.

Shout out to Moe in the Tysons Corner, VA location. I was there visiting family this weekend and only had about 30-40 miles on the battery. Went to the store thinking they might have some chargers (strangely, they don't). However Moe (whom I had briefly met at an event in VA Beach a few weeks before) offered to have someone pull me into the Service Center and use the private supercharger. Apparently this isn't something they normally do, but will do it in "emergencies" and gladly pulled me in.

Got to go on a P90X test drive with the wife and sister in law while we were charging. They were making "Ludicrous" jokes for the rest of the day :D

I had one of five Teslas being shown at the National Drive Electric Week event in Novato (Marin County, CA) yesterday. So many mini-Tesla moments!
  • Took a day off from work the day before, mostly to clean my car (I figure it had to be presentable), and discovered a new use for summoning while cleaning the wheels (kind of hard to clean around the brake calipers). Basically, the idea was clean as much as I could then summon the car forward and walk alongside, stopping it when the wheel rotation revealed a part that I missed. I am sure that my neighbor across the street (who works from home) was wondering what crazy thing I was doing with my car.
  • Arriving at the event and being directed next to a couple of other TMC members (@Blu Zap and @ChrisJ). Sure was glad I'd taken the time to clean my car the day before because theirs looked sharp! (@ChrisJ actually parked last and completed a perfect right echelon formation.)
  • Lots and lots of questions! The most common ones I remember were: "How far can you go on a charge?" "How long does it take to charge?" "What do you need to charge at home?" (Glad I brought my UMC and adapter collection.) "Are these the next-generation seats?" (Kind of an unexpected question, but two people asked this.) "How much does it cost?" (Well, they start around $65K and go up from there. Talked about the Model 3 and its price-point, saw some lightbulbs go on in people's heads.) "Do you have solar panels on your house?" (Also a little unexpected, but I got that question three times.)
  • Grandma to her two grade-school grandkids: "OK kids, see if you can find the cameras on this car." (Go Grandma! They needed a little help but we ended up having a nice talk about radar, ultrasonic sensors, and cameras.)
  • Getting mistaken for a Tesla employee, at least twice. (No, I don't work for Tesla, I just own this one here.) "Really? This is your car?" (Yep.) "Wow, you must really like it!" (Yep!)
  • A tweenage girl hopping behind the wheel, probably not realizing this wasn't a demo car. Watching the screens light up, she whispered, "Wow it's like a dream."
  • From the mom of said tweenager: "Are you a pilot?" (Um, no...mumble mumble...3.5 hours in log book...my wife made me stop...mumble mumble...why do you ask?) "This looks like the cockpit of an airplane!"
Basically four hours of Tesla Time (the only downside is that I was so busy I only got to see a few of the other cars / vendors). I totally recommend this experience...if you like talking about your car, showing it at an NDEW (or similar) event is a great way to spend a day, and hopefully get more people interested in EVs (whether Tesla or otherwise).

Bruce.

You might recall from one of my previous posts, my wife printed up a loose leaf binder for car shows and cruise in nights with FAQ'S about our S90D and we normally leave it displayed in the open trunk so the public can flip through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
@Old Wyseguy that's an awesome idea. You guys happen to have the document you printed the information from handy?

Things like that are all my on my wife and she just left with the car for work. I will ask her, but for the most part I can tell you much of what is contained is simply cut and pasted right from the manual and other Tesla information and photos gathered from the net. I know there is one photo of the titanium belly! I will get back to you with more information in a day or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I've had my car for about a month now. For the most part, my wife couldn't care less. She never disliked it, but was not as obsessed as we all are. She has not driven it yet . . . . not bc I won't let her, but bc she doesn't care. That is, until yesterday. We drove out to brunch. Found a tight space right in front of the restaurant. Her first words, "you'll never squeeze this monster into that space". My parking P popped up, I hit the button, and it squeezed in automatically. My wife FINALLY HAD THE GRIN!!! She went on and on how amazing that was. When we met our friends, it was the first thing she said to them (OMG, the car parked itself in that amazingly tight spot). Now she wants to drive it. I told her I'd think about it :D

Bruce.

Hey, Bruce! I spent the day in Santa Rosa doing the same thing. I was giving rides and drives, would walk over to the Tesla "static display" and ask the people ogling the car if they'd like to drive one. And off we go. I'll be going up to Ukiah (at the SCs) Saturday to do it again. Tons of questions, everybody amazed, people sold on Tesla.

Anyone not in a coma needs to contact their local Tesla Club or the Electric Auto Assn. and get on the email list for shows that happen all year. Our local college likes to do things for earth day, the local fair wants EVs to be present. And, as you say, it's just four hours of Tesla Time and great memories.

Great to know you are sharing the dream.

Hey @fallen888 always been meaning to get over there to Tilted Kilt. Are you aware of the charging spots for the Tesla store in the Kop Garage near Rock Bottom Brewery? The Tesla employee's will be happy to move a car to let you charge if you show up and there aren't any spots. I've done it several times now, they're a great bunch in that store.

Very cool. Thanks for letting me know.
I was cutting it close on the way home after KOP stop. :D

sYOZgk3m9OGlPrWK85MOOzChwry4JMVwXMjrEZTxxNMZTtJF1YifNLiNP8F1jExm1pbk49Mcryr50EGnRTnQQU6-dORQBArtvhQqrvqsefZF_FVOGte6I5G_mrCF9-1bnHVacKBK80A6Zn0VdVCmfIQRU6tKnOrxeIk-CYratj6NyF0JO0jpZvOwAtpdOJSJubrjmiSNZ6SGjLu6hr45gyJDY1_-aceMzBG2yTKqF8PXn9O9febXBj44b-0ENRQtptnp-Cwp9sZ87414qmBwLilrTTN1_qRXazkwWbUmXIP-2lbq_BFS4K-Kl-jURVHyXcME3OOvRrJCUDGrrOQ-6_U6YZKTuZGZZpB99HTa4c-fqe9LOZK0FXWRV_kSx5P3qh0F_Csbcm8_xd8peiIB5sXdGIUqJh1rUL_-fxWp5J4IDYJgqMCceLc_XuIRfXUSlz5yRkbm8xmlkRoSAU8AODP9LVF3_YdtSaaEvqrqYguHiXhW1LXzellFDKfMX0OSBap5c-c2AqabaWhM7WxgSGZgIh6tdMMA3h7qvhnVA2zXa3p6MfFlMBOiYW3S-XPLd6h2aK3lTIZNS0kMJls0CZagTTicEqrMfZ2Gor4dpKWLm0UIcw=w696-h927-no

What is the best way to find out about events in the Charlotte area? I went to the National Drive Electric Week website, but any other places I should check for future events?
Charlotte events were last weekend but this one in Pembroke is next weekend. National Drive Electric Week Event - Pembroke

Other than that, I would suggest contacting local owners, like maybe @Cyclone. We have a group of 6 close-knit owners that get together periodically to do regular car shows. For instance, a local diner has a cruise-in every Thursday night that we crash sometimes. We also do Saturday morning Cars & Coffee events and there are several of those around town. Of course anywhere we go with 6 Teslas is automatically a show. :D

Edit - ok, I googled it for you. You guys should totally get the Charlotte owners together for this thing. Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

NDEW is always a source of endless Tesla moments, and is always a blast. Highly recommended showing your car or giving test rides. The EV community is one of the main reasons EVs are finally starting to take over, so have some fun and participate.

I like to park my S near the entrance and open the frunk, so anyone entering the event gets to gaze in wonder upon the frunk. It's fun to watch people rubbernecking while walking. Often results in jaw-droppping facial expressions. Plus it attracts others for tons of questions.

This was the first year I've done test rides. Rides make all the difference. Especially when someone experiences a 320kW launch. From reading all the hand wringing on the forums you'd think my old P85 was obsolete -- but everyone who got a ride was blown away with the acceleration, tech, cargo space, and interior styling. Many couldn't believe my car was 3.5 years old.

Getting mistaken for a Tesla employee, at least twice. (No, I don't work for Tesla, I just own this one here.) "Really? This is your car?" (Yep.) "Wow, you must really like it!" (Yep!)
I got this quite a bit at the show I took mine too, also. A number of people assumed I was a sales rep or something. I didn't say
"Yeah, right, like Tesla would have a schlub like me selling their cars" ;) That's something that I hope Tesla appreciates: their
customers are better salespeople than any paid salesperson could hope to be.

Last edited: