Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me of scammers selling "hi-fi" speakers out of the back of a van. They often purposely target people driving expensive cars

Your mention of targeting people of a presumed type, reminds me of 1993 when I bought a Volvo 850. I called LA PD auto theft division and asked if optional factory-installed anti-theft systems were worth the money. The cop said to make sure it included an ignition shut off, then he asked what kind of car I was buying. When I told him Volvo, he said, "Don't do it. Nobody steals Volvos anyway." When I though about it, the target market for Volvo was conservative families who valued practicality over style. Such people would be cautious buyers unlikely to buy from an unknown source, so stolen Volvos would be difficult to sell.

Reminds me of scammers selling "hi-fi" speakers out of the back of a van. They often purposely target people driving expensive cars

Of course most criminals aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but people who drive expensive cars usually also have an education and are more likely to see through a scam. If people really want to sell something like stereos, or something else that "fell off the back of a truck", I would think they'd find a better market selling to kids who aren't worldly enough to realize when something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Your mention of targeting people of a presumed type, reminds me of 1993 when I bought a Volvo 850. I called LA PD auto theft division and asked if optional factory-installed anti-theft systems were worth the money. The cop said to make sure it included an ignition shut off, then he asked what kind of car I was buying. When I told him Volvo, he said, "Don't do it. Nobody steals Volvos anyway." When I though about it, the target market for Volvo was conservative families who valued practicality over style. Such people would be cautious buyers unlikely to buy from an unknown source, so stolen Volvos would be difficult to sell.

The biggest thing for car thieves is to send them to a chop shop, then sell the parts. A lot of these operation send the parts overseas. A friend of mine was in the freight forwarding business and one of her first customers were some guys shipping car parts to SE Asia. She didn't consider the source until she was contacted by the FBI who suspected these guys were part of a large car stealing ring operating in several states. She, of course cooperated and helped bring down the ring. But she was cautious about anyone who seemed even a bit shady from then on.

The most popular cars to steal in the US are those that have a lot on the road in a lot of countries. Older Toyotas and Hondas are among the most stolen cars because they are common in developing countries and it's easy to sell stolen car parts in those places. The only time expensive cars are stolen it's mostly by joyriders. That's been most of the relatively few Tesla thefts to date, though a few stolen in Europe have vanished and I wouldn't be surprised if they were resold in Russia where it's possible to register a stolen car if you pay the right bribes to the right people.

the target market for Volvo was conservative families who valued practicality over style. Such people would be cautious buyers unlikely to buy from an unknown source, so stolen Volvos would be difficult to sell.
Many, if not most, cars are stolen as fodder for "chop shops" that take all of the valuable parts and junk the remainder. All popular cars
are at risk of theft for this purpose.
[EDIT: like @wdolson said]

So my wife had the car (I had a work function to attend), and she comes home and a van followed her. She pulls in and gets out of the car. Two men approach her in our driveway and say "we come in peace", jokingly (?) with their hands up in the air... She doesn't laugh, but asks them what they want.

Then they try to tell sell her cases of frozen meat.

Meat from a van.

"Two for the price of one."

"We have left overs from our delivery".

When she declined and said that I'm in charge of the meat buying and that we get it either from Costco or if we want something specific from our local butcher, one of the guys says "but look, you just drove in a Tesla"... she says "so?". They implied, though never stated out loud, that we can afford to buy their meat.

Apparently since we have a Tesla, we need to buy frozen left over meat from a few shady characters from the back of a van. lol

Great story... but weird and disturbing. Your wife is a tough cookie. Good for her.

Alan

Reactions: Max*
So my wife had the car (I had a work function to attend), and she comes home and a van followed her. She pulls in and gets out of the car. Two men approach her in our driveway and say "we come in peace", jokingly (?) with their hands up in the air... She doesn't laugh, but asks them what they want.

Then they try to tell sell her cases of frozen meat.

Meat from a van.

"Two for the price of one."

"We have left overs from our delivery".

When she declined and said that I'm in charge of the meat buying and that we get it either from Costco or if we want something specific from our local butcher, one of the guys says "but look, you just drove in a Tesla"... she says "so?". They implied, though never stated out loud, that we can afford to buy their meat.

Apparently since we have a Tesla, we need to buy frozen left over meat from a few shady characters from the back of a van. lol
I've had guys come through my neighborhood trying to sell meat from time to time. Just tell them you're a vegetarian. :)

This is *my* Tesla grin, picking up the new vehicle... (I usually move the seat forward and up, sit on a couple of phone books, and wear chunky platform "driving shoes".)

IMG_4345.jpg

Tsk, tsk. You should ALWAYS tie your shoe laces :)

Incredibly enough, the untied laces are a feature and not a bug. I couldn't believe it! But the shoes are designed to look that way. You actually *can't* tie the laces.

Imagine, for a moment, just how awful that kid's parenting must be, if his parents would buy him such a lazy-arse pair of shoes! I despair.

Alan

Pulled into the local grocery store yesterday for some quick staples. As I pulled in, the woman in the Jeep in the space in front stopped pulling out of her space, re-parked and lunged out of her car.

As I got out, she gushed, "Is this a Tesla, I've never seen one!"
Yes, it is a Tesla, I responded.
"Where did you get it, you can't get one around here."
I picked it up in Chicago was my response.
"So they are sold in the United States, now!" She replied....and my phone rang, and I couldn't finish the Tesla 101 class.

Welcome to the land of Oz, home of unicorns, flying monkeys and self-driving American-made electric cars.

Last edited:
Pulled into the local grocery store yesterday for some quick staples. As I pulled in, the woman in the Jeep in the pace in front stopped pulling out of her space, re-parked and lunged out of her car.

As I got out, she gushed, "Is this a Tesla, I've never seen one!"
Yes, it is a Tesla, I responded.
"Where did you get it, you can't get one around here."
I picked it up in Chicago was my response.
"So they are sold in the United States, now!" She replied....and my phone rang, and I couldn't finish the Tesla 101 class.

Welcome to the land of Oz, home of unicorns, flying monkeys and self-driving American-made electric cars.

Well, at least the good folks who live near Detroit's northern suburbs may be getting a bit more education, and just in time for the holidays!

Tesla opens gallery showroom in Nordstrom Troy store

Reactions: EVie'sDad
his parents would buy him such a lazy-arse pair of shoes! I despair.

It's all just the slow degradation of societal norms.
First, shoelaces that don't tie.
Then waitstaff expect you to leave a tip.
Leading to sneaking into the 15 or fewer items line at the supermarket because buying multiples of the same items only counts as one distinct item.
And finally entering a car raffle and EXPECTING that they're going to pay the taxes when you win.

Come on! What's the world coming to? ;)