Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 door handles, under warranty. The 4th just failed. Warranty expired, sigh!

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

CAD file for printing at that thread, you can have it printed in titanium or something so it lasts forever... or buy the broken pivot gear part from Tesla for $1.18 - part number 1042845-00-A "PADDLE GEAR"

They used to charge like $800 to replace the whole assembly, but now they sell just the piece that breaks, and someone designed a part so it can be made stronger than OEM too.

Tesla moments on Christmas Day 2017 with my 2015 Model S 70D...

· Trudging through the freshly fallen heavy snow and stiff, cold wind to my car in the condo parking lot to clear it off so we can head to the first of two family Christmas celebrations. Finding that preheating the car for 45 minutes or so had indeed helped to melt the snow, and more importantly the ice on the driver’s side windows from the earlier freezing rain. Some quick scraping made fairly easy work of the ice and the windows and doors opened successfully on the first try. (This is my 3rd winter with the Tesla, and I previously learned the lesson that you must never try to open a door with ice remaining on the window! The glass won’t be able to retract that critical quarter-inch into the door, and you’ll be in trouble!) Score 1 for preheating!

· Once the car was cleared of the snow, being able to pull out of my parking space and up the sloping parking lot, even though the lot had not yet been plowed. The sudden brief heavy storm had dropped perhaps 3 inches, maybe 4 inches of heavy snow in a couple of hours. My wife, on the other hand, was unable to get her FWD Toyota Corolla to move up the slope and became stuck. (Neither car has snow tires.) The Model S pulled through the snow with no slips, no slides, no flashing traction control indicator. It felt good, but I was worried about my wife’s car. (Fortunately a landscaping crew arrived just in the nick, and helped to shovel her out and started plowing the driveway.) Score 1 for AWD and good traction control.

· Putting the food that needed to be kept cold until it was time to warm and serve it, into the frunk. Score 1 for the frunk!

· Being able to load all sorts of folding chairs, heating tray, gifts, and bags of food into the capacious trunk.

· Using and appreciating all the various features of the “Sub-Zero” package in this nasty weather, including the heated steering wheel and the heating strip on the windshield where the wipers park, the heated washer nozzles (it was one of those days when you must use the washers almost constantly to deal with slush, salt, snow, etc.). (Well, in honesty, I did not use the rear seat heaters on this day because no one was sitting in the back, but they get used on many other days.) Score 1 for the Sub-Zero package. At the time, it seemed like a high price for the features we got, but I am glad for all of it (And regret that it is no longer available as a separate package.)

· Feeling safe and secure on the mostly-clear-but-still-messy roads, with AWD and traction control and ABS and working wipers and enough washer fluid, heading for that family party.

· Finding myself on a steep downslope in another town, on a plowed but snowy street with a STOP sign half-way down, gently pressing on the brakes and shuddering to a stop where intended. Yup, the car does have ABS, doesn’t it!

· Helping my 100-year-old mother into the toasty warm car, kept warm with the new “camper mode” feature while she navigated down her steps to the driveway. Score 1 for “camper mode!”

· Enjoying my mother’s remark about how much she enjoys the warmth of the seat heater on “3” as we drive. (She likes it even in weather most of us would consider mild.)

· And many hours later, after the family party is over, once again enjoying my mother’s appreciation for the preheated car and the and the heated seats.

And a great day was enjoyed by all. Belated Merry Christmas to everyone else who celebrates it!

I think it's more like golf, having a lot of door handle repairs is probably not desirable. Someone in another thread said there are YouTube videos that explain many door handle failures come from the wires getting flexed every time the door handles go in and out and over time the wires break. They explain how to reroute the wires so they don't get flexed.

Back to the subject, I did have a Tesla moment today. I had to go into Portland to take a large load of computer equipment to the local computer charity. I completely filled the back with the seats down, I couldn't really see out the back window. While I was unloading a Bolt pulled up across the street and he had some donations. I was going to talk to him, but by the time I was done he was gone.

On the way back we made some other stops including at Ikea, which is near the airport. Getting out of there, traffic was epicly bad. I have never seen so many cars leaving the airport at once.

The backup to get on the freeway was so bad what normally takes about a minute took over 40. I got in the line to get on the freeway and a silver Model S pulled up next to me and rolled down his window. He asked if he could slip in ahead of me. I guess nobody else was letting anyone in. I signaled him to go ahead and noticed he was driving an S100D first registered in March. I don't recall seeing a 100D in the wild before.

Tesla moments on Christmas Day 2017 with my 2015 Model S 70D...

· Trudging through the freshly fallen heavy snow and stiff, cold wind to my car in the condo parking lot to clear it off so we can head to the first of two family Christmas celebrations. Finding that preheating the car for 45 minutes or so had indeed helped to melt the snow, and more importantly the ice on the driver’s side windows from the earlier freezing rain. Some quick scraping made fairly easy work of the ice and the windows and doors opened successfully on the first try. (This is my 3rd winter with the Tesla, and I previously learned the lesson that you must never try to open a door with ice remaining on the window! The glass won’t be able to retract that critical quarter-inch into the door, and you’ll be in trouble!) Score 1 for preheating!

· Once the car was cleared of the snow, being able to pull out of my parking space and up the sloping parking lot, even though the lot had not yet been plowed. The sudden brief heavy storm had dropped perhaps 3 inches, maybe 4 inches of heavy snow in a couple of hours. My wife, on the other hand, was unable to get her FWD Toyota Corolla to move up the slope and became stuck. (Neither car has snow tires.) The Model S pulled through the snow with no slips, no slides, no flashing traction control indicator. It felt good, but I was worried about my wife’s car. (Fortunately a landscaping crew arrived just in the nick, and helped to shovel her out and started plowing the driveway.) Score 1 for AWD and good traction control.

· Putting the food that needed to be kept cold until it was time to warm and serve it, into the frunk. Score 1 for the frunk!

· Being able to load all sorts of folding chairs, heating tray, gifts, and bags of food into the capacious trunk.

· Using and appreciating all the various features of the “Sub-Zero” package in this nasty weather, including the heated steering wheel and the heating strip on the windshield where the wipers park, the heated washer nozzles (it was one of those days when you must use the washers almost constantly to deal with slush, salt, snow, etc.). (Well, in honesty, I did not use the rear seat heaters on this day because no one was sitting in the back, but they get used on many other days.) Score 1 for the Sub-Zero package. At the time, it seemed like a high price for the features we got, but I am glad for all of it (And regret that it is no longer available as a separate package.)

· Feeling safe and secure on the mostly-clear-but-still-messy roads, with AWD and traction control and ABS and working wipers and enough washer fluid, heading for that family party.

· Finding myself on a steep downslope in another town, on a plowed but snowy street with a STOP sign half-way down, gently pressing on the brakes and shuddering to a stop where intended. Yup, the car does have ABS, doesn’t it!

· Helping my 100-year-old mother into the toasty warm car, kept warm with the new “camper mode” feature while she navigated down her steps to the driveway. Score 1 for “camper mode!”

· Enjoying my mother’s remark about how much she enjoys the warmth of the seat heater on “3” as we drive. (She likes it even in weather most of us would consider mild.)

· And many hours later, after the family party is over, once again enjoying my mother’s appreciation for the preheated car and the and the heated seats.

And a great day was enjoyed by all. Belated Merry Christmas to everyone else who celebrates it!
Cool story. What is camper mode? I’ve had my 100D for a month and I absolutely love it.

... What is camper mode?...
"Camper mode" is our term for the recent firmware update that allows the climate control system to be easily left on when you leave the car. I've used it when my cat was in the car after a vet visit and I had other errands to run.

To use it, touch the auto/custom button above the CC on/off switch when parked. It should give you the option to "Keep Climate On" while you are away from the car.

Tesla release notes for firmware update 2017.42:

Tesla release notes 2017.42 page1 1970sf 10-28-17.jpg

Tesla release notes 2017.42 page2 1971sf 10-28-17.jpg

"Camper mode" is our term for the recent firmware update that allows the climate control system to be easily left on when you leave the car. I've used it when my cat was in the car after a vet visit and I had other errands to run.

To use it, touch the auto/custom button above the CC on/off switch when parked. It should give you the option to "Keep Climate On" while you are away from the car.

Tesla release notes for firmware update 2017.42:

View attachment 270069

View attachment 270070
Thanks that was very helpful. I’m a new owner and a computer guy so I love this computer on wheels.

My (non-)Tesla moment:

I had to make a little road trip to drive over to PA to get some ethanol-free gas for my snowblower (the idiots that run NJ made it illegal to sell it here). I took my Subaru instead of my Tesla because I did not want to wind up as an internet meme when someone pulled out their cellphone to take pictures of me pumping gas into cans in the back of a Tesla at the gas station.

My (non-)Tesla moment:

I had to make a little road trip to drive over to PA to get some ethanol-free gas for my snowblower (the idiots that run NJ made it illegal to sell it here). I took my Subaru instead of my Tesla because I did not want to wind up as an internet meme when someone pulled out their cellphone to take pictures of me pumping gas into cans in the back of a Tesla at the gas station.
I also don't want to park my Tesla at a gas pump! I just park away from the pumps and carry my gas can over to the pump to fill it.

Bought one gallon for my chainsaw a few days ago. Should be enough to last me the rest of my winter tree thinning season (for wildfire mitigation purposes). It's the only time I ever go to a gas station.

I also don't want to park my Tesla at a gas pump! I just park away from the pumps and carry my gas can over to the pump to fill it.

Bought one gallon for my chainsaw a few days ago. Should be enough to last me the rest of my winter tree thinning season (for wildfire mitigation purposes). It's the only time I ever go to a gas station.

I parked at a gas pump because I don't have windshield washer fluid in the car, or it is freezing. I suspect it is freezing and I had the service center drain it and refill with the appropriate fluid. Anyway, it was not working, so I stopped at the gas station and all the other spots were taken so I parked at a pump. Went in and bought 2 gallons of fluid. I opened one to pour into the washer fluid tank and someone commented "do these take gas? I thought they were all electric."

I told him they are all electric, and that I just stopped for washer fluid (as i was putting both containers in the frunk).

My (non-)Tesla moment:

I know, right? I just decided rather than go buy gas I'd just get an electric snowblower: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FN0XJXQ

It has three forward speeds, one reverse. None of them is labelled "ludicrous". Or even "insane".

Time to buy a battery powered blower ?

(man, we're way off topic) ...or neither - simple human power and a clever design. :) I bought a snow wolf (wovel.com) several years ago and have been really happy with it. For Indiana at least it's been perfect. We just don't get that much snow anymore. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of money on something that may be needed once a year. The wolf is fine as long as you don't get a ton of snow and you don't wait too long before starting. I have one neighbor with a huge 2-stage blower that can go fairly fast (but it's huge, was expensive and he has to maintain it), and another with a plow attachment on his riding mower (I can go way faster). If it's going to snow more than 6 inches or so then I'll do it every 4-5 inches or so.
When it's not in use I just remove the wheel, fold it and store it against the wall taking up almost no space. Blowers require care and a fair bit of space.
Now as for mowers... I'm just waiting for ours to die so I can get an electric mower. THAT I want.

Reactions: navguy12
Time to buy a battery powered blower ?
For those interested in alternatives, we had quite a bit of discussion about small engine yard tools here:

Lawn mowers and gardening equipment pollution: Why are ICE engines still legal in California?

I have a gravel driveway so a snow blower wouldn't be practical — they really don't do well with gravel. For eighteen years I've been clearing my 400 foot driveway the old fashioned way: with a snow shovel! It is a good workout and I listen to audio books while I work.

Driveway looking up1855sf 1-25-17.jpg

Driveway looking down1856sf 1-25-17.jpg

^ This is from last January. (Sure could use more snow this year — it has been unseasonably warm and dry since the beginning of fall here.)

Have to get my driveway clear to enjoy those "Tesla moments!"

Last edited: