Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least she's been a passenger in my Model S often enough to now grasp the basic concept of using a touchscreen. Honestly... I'll set it up to the defaults she needs and then teach just the basics...like how to turn on the wipers.
@Pollux - I sure hope you're right! :)

For bonus points... teach her how to change the wiper SPEED. :)

Saturday was a family gathering at my sister's--with good weather at last. My siblings were very interested in driving my S 75D. I've been following Tesla for nearly 10 years, so it's strange to me that some people still aren't aware that it's a pure electric car or that it has such good range or Supercharging or that yes, they've sold a couple of hundred thousand of them already.

They were all impressed with the trunk space, thrilled with the acceleration, of course, and a little freaked out by the Autopilot capabilities. They seemed to agree that regenerative braking would take a lot of getting used to. (I've been driving it for a month and feel like I'm finally really comfortable with it.)

The capper: I used the summon function to bring the car into the garage to pick up my ailing mother. Very cool.

Off Topic: There's a program called 'classic shell' which you can use on Windows 10 to make the start menu look and work just like Windows 7, and highly customizable. I also use an alt-tab replacement called Vista Switcher which also really helps in Win7 and Win10. I've been a die-hard Windows person for as long as I can remember. But two years ago, I had the chance to acquire a cheap MacBook Air for my 'coffee-table-computer-for-browsing-while-watching-tv'. It took a little while to learn the new OS and how Apple does things, but now I can switch back and forth like nothing. My desktop now has a dual screen Win7 box on the left, and a MacBookPro on the right and switch between them effortlessly. There are definitely things I like and dislike about both platforms.

On Topic: I love these "perfect Tesla parking spaces":

upload_2018-2-4_22-13-59.png

Off Topic: There's a program called 'classic shell' which you can use on Windows 10 to make the start menu look and work just like Windows 7, and highly customizable. I also use an alt-tab replacement called Vista Switcher which also really helps in Win7 and Win10. I've been a die-hard Windows person for as long as I can remember. But two years ago, I had the chance to acquire a cheap MacBook Air for my 'coffee-table-computer-for-browsing-while-watching-tv'. It took a little while to learn the new OS and how Apple does things, but now I can switch back and forth like nothing. My desktop now has a dual screen Win7 box on the left, and a MacBookPro on the right and switch between them effortlessly. There are definitely things I like and dislike about both platforms.

On Topic: I love these "perfect Tesla parking spaces":

View attachment 278186

Yup, I use Classic Shell with the most classic of settings.

My SO hit the pillar in her old Subaru pulling into a spot like that in too much of a hurry. Historically she's a terrific driver, no accidents (except getting rear ended once) in decades of driving, but she had a doctor's appointment and was panicking about being late.

Kind of a reverse Tesla moment...

I drove a gas car for the first time in six weeks--the 2012 Toyota Avalon I bought my mother. The 75D has spoiled me for driving in the snow, because the Avalon, which I used to think was a good snow car, felt like a death trap. It slid all over, struggled to get traction, and--did you know this?--gas cars don't slow down when you take your foot off the go pedal. You actually have to press the brake or you'll slide right thru stop signs! Terrifying!

Oh! And if you haven't driven it for a while, the tiny battery it has will be flat. But get this: there's no way to plug it in! You have to hook up a clunky separate charger to little battery terminals under the hood WHERE THE FILTHY GAS ENGINE IS. Gross.

I haven’t taken delivery of my MS75D yet, but my first “Tesla moment” happened less than a minute into my test drive.

Pulling out of the dealership in SF, I come to a busy intersection with a nonstop stream of cars due to local construction - just as the light turns green, cars immediately start to tighten up their distance as they start to move to prevent me from sneaking out into their lane and prevent them from making the green light.

Just as they start to move along, I notice another MS driver make eye contact with me, smile, and slow to a stop to let me into moving traffic.
The cars behind him weren’t happy, but it definitely gave me this “we gotta stick together” feeling as I waved back with a smile and made my way into traffic.

Kind of a reverse Tesla moment...

I drove a gas car for the first time in six weeks--the 2012 Toyota Avalon I bought my mother. The 75D has spoiled me for driving in the snow, because the Avalon, which I used to think was a good snow car, felt like a death trap. It slid all over, struggled to get traction, and--did you know this?--gas cars don't slow down when you take your foot off the go pedal. You actually have to press the brake or you'll slide right thru stop signs! Terrifying!

Oh! And if you haven't driven it for a while, the tiny battery it has will be flat. But get this: there's no way to plug it in! You have to hook up a clunky separate charger to little battery terminals under the hood WHERE THE FILTHY GAS ENGINE IS. Gross.

Yup. I often feel like an EV is really best appreciated by having to go back to a "normal" car for a little while.

My favorite Tesla Moment so far...
I'm driving down a local street and slowly approach some students that just hopped off a school bus, walking home. As I pass by, one of the students gives me several "I'm Not Worthy!" bows. Nice. I guess the younger generation knows the future when they see it! :)
(zoomed and cropped screen cap from dash cam)
View attachment 280265

Pretty much anywhere we go, we have to drive past the local high school. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've had kids do that when I drove past. Sometimes they just point and get excited. Not all that different from most of my peers when I was a kid when they saw something like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Times have changed.

On another note, my SO was complaining about the proposed federal fuel tax hike (from 8 cents a gallon to 25) and she was ranting about how it will negatively impact poor and middle class people. I replied, "I'm middle class and it won't affect me!" She harrumphed and I said maybe she needs a Bolt (she hates GM with a passion). When she vetoed that I suggested a Model 3 and she just gave me a "no" indicating she didn't want to talk about it.

We both know a new car is not in the budget right now. She is interested in the Model Y if she has the funds and it suits her needs. But I don't think she'd consider an EV from any other car maker. They are all too compromised and most look ridiculous.