Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would make the forum more welcoming towards women? Serious question. Admittedly, I'm relatively new here, and male, but what I've seen so far is that TMC is generally very polite and that the subject matter is gender-neutral and low-conflict in nature (a handful of explicitly political threads aside). I'm always interested in learning about things that I'm blind to.

Pink?

:: Ducks and hides from Bonnie. ::

What would make the forum more welcoming towards women? Serious question. Admittedly, I'm relatively new here, and male, but what I've seen so far is that TMC is generally very polite and that the subject matter is gender-neutral and low-conflict in nature (a handful of explicitly political threads aside). I'm always interested in learning about things that I'm blind to.

Overall, you're right. This forum is absolutely so much better than other forums in the respect of gender neutrality. For the language scale, we (moderators) go by the rule of 'would it pass on prime time television' (and sometimes doug has put my posts in moderation because they failed to meet that test - oops).

What's proven most helpful in my career was what would be most helpful here (and would make this forum shine) is this: Instead of letting the women speak up when some stuff is out of whack (like 'I've never seen a woman who can parallel park' or stuff like that), the guys should step up and say that's ridiculous. When I've had men at work step up to stop the 'hey, can you go make some copies for us' bs, it was much more powerful, because no one could say I was being overly sensitive. Make sense?

Anyway, I appreciate you asking. I love this forum 'as is' or I wouldn't be here. But I agree with LoriH, that if we could stop talking about women in sweeping generalizations, that would be a great first step. Because we're all different.

Pink?

:: Ducks and hides from Bonnie. ::

And then there's this one moderator that I cannot do anything about.... but there is always TMC Connect 2015 :) .

I agree with Bonnie. I get caught thinking, "should I say something and risk being considered a bitch", or let it go knowing that any kind of group stereotyping (gender, race, etc) does a disservice to a supportive community environment as well as open intellectual discussion. But having conducted diversity trainings myself, I know it is important to keep pointing out when someone (intentionally or naively) crosses the line, in order to keep a welcoming community, so having 'allies' (folks outside the target group), stepping in helps.

I do understand humor, and when it is close to the line, saying so up front with emoticon or joking helps. When it is obvious (like El Supreme's "pink"), I find myself chuckling right along.

That being said, I am sensitive to the "women are" generalizations, and hope we stop doing these. Still TMC is a very wonderful community, and I do feel a welcoming place for women in part because of the type of folks on this forum, but in a large part do to the tireless efforts of all our moderators that work to keep things in-line.

Thanks to all the moderators here for their hard work (and special thanks to ElSupreme for carrying my purse around at Refuel without feeling the least bit emasculated, I will buy a special pink version for you next year).

Last edited:
Thanks to all the moderators here for their hard work (and special thanks to ElSupreme for carrying my purse around at Refuel without feeling the least bit emasculated, I will buy a special pink version for you next year).

He told me it was a European Man bag:smile:

I'm glad people feel welcome here. It really is a great community of people and it's nice when so many people with different backgrounds can get along.

What's proven most helpful in my career was what would be most helpful here (and would make this forum shine) is this: Instead of letting the women speak up when some stuff is out of whack (like 'I've never seen a woman who can parallel park' or stuff like that), the guys should step up and say that's ridiculous. When I've had men at work step up to stop the 'hey, can you go make some copies for us' bs, it was much more powerful, because no one could say I was being overly sensitive. Make sense?

I can't miss an opportunity to tell one of my best anecdotes. A long time ago now, Nobel Prize winner Arno Penzias was running Bell Labs, and one of my best friends was a researcher there. A bunch of High Muckety Mucks from somewhere trooped into a meeting room, with my friend, her boss, her boss's boss, and so on, all the way up to Arno. She was the only female in the room. So Highest Muckety Muck turns to her and says "I'll have mine black with two sugars." Before she could even say anything, Arno says "Dr. M. will be giving the briefing, I'll get the coffee."

Reactions: Old Wyseguy
I can't miss an opportunity to tell one of my best anecdotes. A long time ago now, Nobel Prize winner Arno Penzias was running Bell Labs, and one of my best friends was a researcher there. A bunch of High Muckety Mucks from somewhere trooped into a meeting room, with my friend, her boss, her boss's boss, and so on, all the way up to Arno. She was the only female in the room. So Highest Muckety Muck turns to her and says "I'll have mine black with two sugars." Before she could even say anything, Arno says "Dr. M. will be giving the briefing, I'll get the coffee."

Yep! Almost identical to what happened to me one time. I was the 2nd most senior in the room, all men, sitting furthest from the door. The client walks in, hands me a stack of docs and asks me to make copies for everyone. Sooo, it was a client, right? You don't give them a hard time. I headed to the copy machine, mumbling to myself. And the docs were snatched out of my hands by the one person more senior to me, the VP of R&D, who said 'I'll make the copies, I told them you were needed in there more than I was."

That stuff makes all the difference. If I'd complained about making copies, then the reaction would have been 'hey, we all have to do that, don't make a big deal'. But because someone else made a big deal, everyone recognized it was a problem. And it was great support. That's how we help each other :). Loved him for that.

- - - Updated - - -

... and special thanks to ElSupreme for carrying my purse around at Refuel without feeling the least bit emasculated

Oh, so no one told you that we're all chipping in to cover his subsequent therapy sessions?

gotta love that! Those are the times you wish there was a photog in front of you to chronicle it.

Sometimes there is :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 7.01.38 PM.png

He told me it was a European Man bag:smile:

This guy always carries a purse/man bag.

Figma-Indiana-Jones-5.jpg

Seriously, it is always there. I have been introducing the movies to my little girl and I suddenly noticed it. It was even a plot point in the third one, when his purse strap is caught on the tank turret and he can't get off. He is trying to break it but it is too sturdy and he ends up being saved by the driver being shot inside.

"should I say something and risk being considered a ..."
language!

- - - Updated - - -

I will remember this Tesla moment for a long time:

TripToMontereyFrictionBrakes.jpg

The speed reported in the camera was "delayed" average. The speed was 0mph at this point (my car was stopped).

Love the brakes in my S; they definitely stick strong in the rare cases I actually have to use them.

Love the shot of all those Teslas!

So my Tesla got me free BBQ Friday night. Here's how it happened: drove my 20 miles home from Tampa to Seminole, I never cook on Friday nights, so I was trying to think of a place to go for dinner. I wanted something GOOD. I thought of the best BBQ around, which is basically a food truck, back in Tampa near my office. But when you drive a Tesla, you don't mind the drive so hey, why not? My bf had never eaten there, and I sold him on the thought with my glowing review of their ribs and brisket. So into the car we go, for a 20 mile trek right back to Tampa. We get there and... They are out of ribs and brisket! It was close to closing for them, and it's not fast food, so I understood how that can happen. Still, I was crushed. The owner was there and saw my car (he loves my car, I go there for lunch all the time and he always chats with me about it). We were still able to get pulled pork so we were going to just be happy with that, but he had them take out a new brisket (I guess those are done in advance?) and they packed us enough pulled pork, brisket, coleslaw and brisket for 4 people. They also "found" about 4 ribs and threw those in there, too. Then they refused to let is pay for it! The whole time they were preparing our to go order, I was doing the typical run through of the car for a friend of the owner, who was there with his MB SL500. So I got Tesla time AND free BBQ!

language!

- - - Updated - - -

I will remember this Tesla moment for a long time:

View attachment 55406

The speed reported in the camera was "delayed" average. The speed was 0mph at this point (my car was stopped).

Love the brakes in my S; they definitely stick strong in the rare cases I actually have to use them.

We're missing the pic right before this, the one where I was IN the lane you're in and decided to change to the other lane, just in case you hadn't noticed the traffic had suddenly stopped. Roadster owners are defensive drivers :), nothing personal.

It was a priceless moment. (And I'd do the same thing again. So would you, if you were in a Roadster with a beast of a Model S behind you.)

- - - Updated - - -

Great photo. What does the lettering across the rear of the Roadster say? I can't make it out.

TeslaRoadTrip.org