Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who the hell would "believe in" fossil fuels? What kind of a sentence or sentiment is that?

You can rely on it, put up with it, bitch about it, but "believe in it"? Bizarre.

I was just about to post the exact same sentiment before I had read even halfway though paulkva's post. That statement truly is beyond moronic.

It seems to be somehow detached from reality, incoherently stringing together words that grammar may allow you to combine but which do

not make any sense. Like fossil fuel and battery power are competing sports teams where you can support one side by cheering loudly enough. Or like fossil fuel is a child whose self confidence you have to boost by positive reinforcement like the parenting guides tell you to :confused:

I bought a Tesla jacket 2 years ago and I have worn it to and from work for three winter seasons.
I got no comments until this year including the latest that happened today.
A guy came up behind me and said simply "Do you own one or is it just a jacket?"
I replied that " I have one on order" and he replied " you have excellent taste, congratulations" and kept walking. :)

My most memorable moment was the first time I raced a 2014 Corvette in the Final Eliminations. The announcer said: "How many people think this battery-powered car can win this one?" <Very-slight cheers.> "How many people still rely on the old fossil-fuel-powered Corvette?" <Huge cheers for the Corvette.>
We launch: "It's gonna be close." "It's CLOSE!!" "OHHHHH!" <By the announcer & the crowd as the Tesla beats the Corvette at the end (the yellow light indicates the left lane wins, a green light indicates the right lane wins)>.

Dropbox - Friday, May 16

Certainly my best Tesla Moment ever!!

I really enjoyed that :-D

I was just about to post the exact same sentiment before I had read even halfway though paulkva's post. That statement truly is beyond moronic.

It seems to be somehow detached from reality, incoherently stringing together words that grammar may allow you to combine but which do

not make any sense. Like fossil fuel and battery power are competing sports teams where you can support one side by cheering loudly enough. Or like fossil fuel is a child whose self confidence you have to boost by positive reinforcement like the parenting guides tell you to :confused:

There was at least some hint of sarcasm in her voice when she said it. Like I said, I couldn't tell at first if she was being serious (and trying to elicit a response from me) or just trying to be funny and deflect her kid's request to buy a Tesla. It definitely caught me off-guard when she said it, and the follow-up comment about coal power leads me to believe that she had pre-judged me as an environmental nut or extremist, which I definitely do not consider myself to be.

Dropped off a couple of old CRT TV's and an LCD monitor at a local recycling event this morning... the woman providing instruction to us as the drivers entered the line of cars told me to "enjoy the day and your beautiful car!".

Then, while unloading the stuff, several of the folks processing the material stood around admiring the car, one jokingly asked "How many miles to the gallon?" while smiling. Then another thanked me for "considering the environment", and then asked me to "show us what it can do!"... so I punched it heading off...

Coincidentally two more brief/random Tesla moments on the way home today.

I left work about an hour later than usual and my highway route had a lot of red at the on ramp, so I took the alternate side street route. About half way home, someone in the left lane honked and waved, I waved back. We came up first at a red light, he motioned me to roll down my window and asked "How do you like it?", I said "It's amazing, best car ever!" As he was asking another question that I forget, I squinted because the sun was directly over his head and exclaimed "oh hey!" when I recognized him as one of my old team leads who I hadn't seen or talked with since shortly after he left a year ago. We then talked a little about work and he suggested we get together for astronomy sometime, which was what we did the last time I saw him. We said our see ya's just before the light went green and I stepped on it to give him a taste. Of course, when there's a good evening on the weekend, I need to invite him over for astronomy with a nice side of Tesla ride.

As I was approaching a stop sign near home behind a light pickup truck, I noticed the driver doing something with his hand next to the side mirror, but doubted it had anything to do with me. At the stop, he rolled down his rear window and gave a thumbs up, and I acknowledged it with a thumbs up as we parted ways.
Sorry if simple thumbs-ups are too common to post here, it's still quite rare for me and I wanted to share my excitement. Hopefully that urge to share fades quickly.

Last edited:
Hello all! I just got my Tesla a couple of days ago. Here in Houston, you are starting to see a few more of them so I didn't think I would have a Tesla moment. I guess I was wrong! I still haven't gotten a chance to get a toll tag on my Model S so I have had to go through the manned toll lanes that make change. On six different occasions, the toll booth attendants have commented on it or initiated conversations regarding it; sometimes while traffic starts to line up behind me. I have walked up to car while in the parking lot and have found people standing around to admiring it and asking questions.

Man, the word is getting out. I can't wait till Tesla really hits the mainstream with the Model 3. I have drank the brilliant red kool-aid! Elon Musk have made me a believer and I can't wait to see more people being part of the future!

I was out to the airport the other day getting some paperwork out of the airplane to prove to the state I didn't own them a penalty. As I arrived at the hanger which is in a security exclusion zone a airport pickup with flashing yellow lights came screaming up behind me as I parked in front of the hanger!!!

I thought I was getting chewed out for some movement infraction but hey it was happy Tesla time where I ended up giving him a ride on the airport tarmac(grin)!!!

I was out to the airport the other day getting some paperwork out of the airplane to prove to the state I didn't own them a penalty. As I arrived at the hanger which is in a security exclusion zone a airport pickup with flashing yellow lights came screaming up behind me as I parked in front of the hanger!!!

I thought I was getting chewed out for some movement infraction but hey it was happy Tesla time where I ended up giving him a ride on the airport tarmac(grin)!!!

Have him close the runway so you can check for FOD at 130 mph...

Tesla moments by proxy:

1) When I went to pick out my elecrtic smart, we were in the dealership for... ages. When we were finally leaving, the finance guy we'd talked with was on his way out and saw the Tesla Model S (husband's) that we'd arrived in. There were a few general questions. I was a bit surprised - you work for Mercedes and you're unfamiliar with this car? Okay, hm.

When I went back to pick up the chosen smart a few days later, I spent maybe 15 minutes on paperwork and smart-related details and another 45 minutes answering Tesla questions from the 3 different people who just happened to stop by the desk while I was there. And I hadn't even brought the Tesla - the dealership had given me a ride from work.

2) I met some new neighbors while walking around the block. When discussing which house was ours: "Oh! You're the one with the car!"

3) Just attended a National Drive Electric Week event with my smart. There was also LEAF, a Volt, a PiP, an i3... and the crowd of people were all centered around the beautiful Signature Model S.

And, if you'll indulge me in a smart moment: I met up with some friends at a restaurant just a few days after I'd picked up my smart. One of them handed me his phone and said "check this out - we just saw an electric smart, and I got a picture!" It was fun to see the reaction when I said "Hey, that's me! I can give you a ride after dinner!"

I did get my very own Model S moment when I was driving the car. I was stopped at the line at a red light, and I noticed the driver to my right waving at me to roll the window down (I forgot which flavor of German engineering he was driving). He asked me a few of the usual questions - it's a Tesla, all electric, about 265 miles per charge, etc. Just as the light turned green, he asked "How much?" I wasn't really comfortable with the question (that's what Google is for, no?). I said "too much!"

Then I left him in the dust.

(note to husband: I swear the road ahead was clear and I resumed normal cruising speed once I had a reasonable lead)

A few weeks ago, while in the Carmel / Monterey area of California with my new Model S, I took some friends along the 17-mile drive, stopping at various places to admire the coastal scenery and take the obligatory photographs. At one stop along the coast, just north of Pebble Beach golf club, I came back to the car and caught an avid photographer ignoring the coastal scenery taking multiple photographs of my car. The now-usual conversation ensued before my passengers got anxious about lunch at Pebble Beach.

I had another rather surprising Tesla moment yesterday. I was driving into a strip mall parking lot near home here in San Diego, and stopped to allow a woman with (I'd guess) a 5 year old girl in tow to cross in front of me. The mother seemed oblivious, and intently focused on getting to her vehicle, but the child recognized the car, and started jumping up and down, tugging on her mother's hand animately, yelling "Mummy, it's a Telsa!!!". I waved and gave a thumbs-up, to which I received a nice big grin. No doubt a future Tesla owner.

Last edited:
Have him close the runway so you can check for FOD at 130 mph...

Yeah thought of that; but FAA requirement you have to have the yellow flashing lights on top and be under positive control of the tower, which I could have met with the hand held.

Though I did drive my tesla through a biker bar in Idaho (grin)!!!!

BikersBar.jpg

Me in the Tesla and my cousin telling people in the bar very few motorcycles could out accelerate me as I drove off.

BikersBarTesla.jpg

Though I supposed I could go out at 2am when the tower is closed(grin)....

• Informative
Reactions: FabioFognini
Yeah thought of that; but FAA requirement you have to have the yellow flashing lights on top and be under positive control of the tower, which I could have met with the hand held.....

how about taping some green plastic over the right DRL and red over the left (wait - scratch that - they don't blink), but tell them you're checking to see if the bottom of the battery pack gets increased lift from ground effect...?

I just drove from Tucson to Denver and back on a 2 week roadtrip for business.
I have a P85+ and have racked up 12,00 miles in 3 months, none of them slow.
On the way home I made it to Moab supercharger and found that all hotels in Moab area for more than 150 miles were full.
Angry and tired, I drove south toward Blanding supercharger and made plans to stay in Farmington New Mexico that night, arriving at 2 am.

While driving through Monticello Utah, a one street type town, I saw a police car chasing me from quite a ways back, I let him catch up hoping he was on a call and not after me, but quickly realized I was the target. I stopped andhe came up to the car.mit was about 11 pm so late and dark and quiet. I lowered the window and he stuck his head in, asking in a giddy-like voice "What the hell kind of car is this"?
He then told me he clocked me doing 61 in a 30 mph zone through town! He spent a while back in his car running my documents, then came back and made me show him all the navigation and systems for at least a half hour. He then told me to slw down and be safe and careful of many deer on the road, said it was the coolest car he had ever seen, and let me go.
30+ mph over the speed limit he cold have taken me to jail!
Tesla's cockpit saved my ass this time.