Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One indication of why Tesla is so successful is the number of people who compliment me on the car and have no idea who makes it or what it is. In addition to the various "is that a Maserati?" comments I get, a woman today gave me a nice compliment, asked what the car was, and seemed very surprised when I told her it was electric.

I had fun this morning. I was on my way to see progress on the Chattanooga Tesla SuperCharger at the airport. On the entrance ramp to I-75 two lanes narrow to one. I was not in the preferred lane but knew it would not be a problem. The preferred lane was occupied by a Porsche Panamera Turbo. The lady driving it took off to not allow my merge but I easily managed to safely merge in front of her. She then passed me on I-75 but slowed to fall in behind me when I exited at the next exit. She followed me to the airport and when I got out she pulled up beside me and said, "What kind of car IS that?" When I told her, the reply was classic, "My husband told me my car was the fastest thing on the road. He obviously has not heard of Tesla! I'm going to ask him to trade this in for a car like yours. Where can I buy one?"

I wanted to bump this thread and now I have a reason. While I don't have a Model S yet, I am expecting delivery in two weeks (fingers crossed)!

While sitting outside a local pizza shop tonight, I happened to look up and see a silver Model S being driven by a woman. Remarkably, there was a black one right behind it and they were both stopped for the red light. I ask the owner of the black one, in a joking manner, if they were heading to a Tesla convention. He laughed and I said I have one on order. He said the silver one was also his!!! Don't know if that was his wife, she had the windows closed. Now that family is All In with Tesla! What was behind them? A black Masserati. Don't really care for those much anymore as I am too excited about soon receiving my Sun powered car!!!!

Some highlights after owning the car for a month! (Just hit 2000 miles yesterday!)

* Aug 16 - Met 2 young 20-something guys in Boston at 11pm on a Saturday night, who were oogling the car. I rolled down the window and they started talking to us. They seemed skeptical of EVs at first, asking all kinds of questions. We ended up giving them a ride down an empty street, flooring it. They were having a blast. By the end they were saying "Electric cars are the future!"

* Same night, while parked on Newbury Street a group of frat boys walk past the car. I over hear them: "What kinda car is that!?" Other frat boy: "Oh! I know, it's a... it's um... oh! It's a Maserati!" He sounded very proud of himself. (lol)

* Aug 17 - Met a young couple at night in Boston while I was in the car, parked. They noticed the car from across the street and seemed super excited about it so I rolled down the window and started talking to them. The guy was seriously stoked to even be seeing one in person. When I popped the frunk I thought he was about to plotz. He definitely seemed bummed he couldn't afford one yet but he said I had "made his night!". (I would have given him a test ride but the car was filled with luggage at the time)

* Aug 28 - Had a long conversation with a Toyota Tundra driver while we were both getting our cars tinted. He was pretty positive about EVs actually, but against any taxes/regulation/punishment of gas cars. We talked about nuclear energy, CNG, hydrogen, the Volt, the LEAF, Boston drivers, charging at 110v vs 240 v, the Tesla battery fires (he agreed the media hype was absurd). He liked the Tesla Roadster too: "my buddy has one". He talked about Elon with reverence. When I mentioned the LEAF in comparison to the Tesla he said "Well you have the Cadillac of electric cars", the phrasing of which I found amusing.

I'll add more fun Tesla moments later so I don't spam the whole thread, lol.

I saw a Tesla Model S for the first time in person today! I stood at a crossing waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green, when I happened to look at the cars ahead of me and there I saw a beautiful white Model S with the registration plate "TESLA". I just had to do the "I'm not worthy"-bow a couple of times, it looked like the driver saw me and laughed. This was in Gothenburg, Sweden near "Sankt Sigfrids Plan".

I had my baby son in a pram and was in a bit of a hurry, so I did not get the chance to stalk the MS and demand the obligatory thorough look-and-see :)

I'm in Chicago driving an ICE and find it exhausting to be constantly shifting back and forth between gas and brake during rush hour traffic.

It's funny to look back on the progression of things I was used to and now would find burdensome. At various times I used to think:

- Power windows are a luxury, it's easy enough to crank them down
- Cruise control is a luxury, no problem keeping my foot on the gas pedal
- Remote unlock is a luxury, it's no effort to turn a key in a door
- Keyless start is a luxury, it's not like turning a key is hard work

With the imminent arrival of my S85 I expect that I too will soon feel needing to use the brake pedal in traffic is annoying, engine noise/exhaust is archaic and unacceptable, and having to explicitly start/turn off my car is antiquated.

With the imminent arrival of my S85 I expect that I too will soon feel needing to use the brake pedal in traffic is annoying, engine noise/exhaust is archaic and unacceptable, and having to explicitly start/turn off my car is antiquated.

+10000000000

And lock/unlock the doors with a remote control every time to get in/get out of the car (and potentially forgetting to lock when exiting). It just feels like busywork.

-m

And lock/unlock the doors with a remote control every time to get in/get out of the car (and potentially forgetting to lock when exiting). It just feels like busywork.
One of my coworkers a couple years ago, when returning from team lunch, would sometimes forget his keys in the ignition with the relatively quiet engine still running. He always remembered after 5-10 seconds. Of course, whenever that happened, it made me think how much he needed a Tesla, and happy that it wouldn't (couldn't) happen with my future Tesla.

Anyway, had to slip that in. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

The ROSE BLK situation escalates... three in a row! For benefit of Bay Area locals, this is behind The Counter Burger at El Camino and San Antonio.

3teslas.JPG

Last night, on the drive home, I wound up behind a Mitsubishi i-MiEV whose owner apparently has a sense of humor about his slightly egg-shaped vehicle. I was really bummed that I couldn't get a picture, but thanks to the magic of Google I found it:

MitsiHatchTesla.jpg

There's a thread with a little bit of the backstory here:

Mitsubishi I-Miev Forum View topic - Even the Tesla Model S....

One thing I noticed browsing around that forum -- they're generally pro-Tesla, even though the owners there made a different choice, because Tesla is good for EVs in general. That's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

ZEUS joined the party.

View attachment 58770

Whoa whoa whoa -- seriously, that happened and I missed it? Dang -- thanks for capturing this!

Dare I ask the relationship between ZEUS and ZEUS EX? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of having a license plate that refers to my ex, if that's what this means.

ZEUS joined the party.

View attachment 58770

Okay, 'fess up.
Something is not right with the shadows on the attached pic.
Three of the original cars had shadows tilted to the left, and the "Zeus" car has sunlight on the left side (thus not in shade) of the car.
Simply not possible, because there is only ONE Sun.

Reflections on the far right car are also a give-away that this is a photo shop job....

Close, but no horse shoe.

Last Clue this has been tampered: reflection on rear windows on ROSE BLK and ZEUS are mirror image identical: again NOT possible.

Okay, 'fess up.
Something is not right with the shadows on the attached pic.
Three of the original cars had shadows tilted to the left, and the "Zeus" car has sunlight on the left side (thus not in shade) of the car.
Simply not possible, because there is only ONE Sun.

Reflections on the far right car are also a give-away that this is a photo shop job....

Close, but no horse shoe.
Also, car #3 doesn't have any Model S/60/85 emblems.