Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my car for three weeks to the day and have had a few minor Tesla moments that left me with a smile but today had me laughing and smiling throughout my commute this morning. If you’re a child of the 80’s you’ll understand this but when it happened this morning it reminded me of the Dukes of Hazzard. Watching Luke Duke hanging out the side of the General Lee while going what looks like to an impressionable five year old boy, highway speeds, was a favorite Friday night pastime for me.

This morning, driving to work, I notice a Ford pick-up pass me to the left. It pauses for 5 seconds at my 10 O’clock while the passenger hangs his entire lower body out the window, points his iPhone at the front of my car to take a few pictures….all at 65 MPH on the freeway. After he’s satisfied with the pictures taken the truck speeds off. I started laughing uncontrollably and continued to laugh for the next 30 minutes until I got to work.

Yeehaaa!

Sounds fun!

Especially if that wasn't a mistake, did he really extend his lower body out the window, as in from hip to toes? I would have liked to see how he used his iPhone in this position.

My emphasis in your quote.

Took our first extended road trip from Richmond to Winston-Salem, NC a couple weeks ago to attend a family wedding. Stopped at the South Hill SC which is at the back of the parking lot of a restaurant. Not your typical charger location, by the way. The restaurant is nice.

When we drove to the wedding location, the valet said he knew how to drive it, I watched as he drove it around, and everything seemed OK. I guess he must have left because when we asked them to retrieve it, they sheepishly asked if we could come with them. I immediately feared the worst only to find out they didn't know how to "turn it off" and didn't know how to "get it started." So, I showed them and they all felt a little stupid. Note to self: Show the valet!

We came awfully close to running out of juice. Stopped at Burlington SC and wife got impatient so we didn't fully recharge. Left Burlington with 230 miles of charge and 181 miles to drive. Since this was the first full-family trip with luggage it averaged closer to 335 kwh. Got home with 6 miles left on the battery. In case you've never cut it close, the car starts to limit your acceleration, sets speed limits, and will turn off the A/C as it gets closer to empty. Starts with about 20 miles remaining on the battery. Another Tesla moment!

.. I had a loaner one day, and the next day when I was back in my car again, I got asked "wait, do you have a black one too?!"

Side effect of the loaner program - I've had that when my Roadster is in a few times. People are like "you have a Model S TOO!?!?". The second loaner was a different color than the first one, and a few neighbors remembered that. They were like "you have a closet full of those things?" :)

We came awfully close to running out of juice. Stopped at Burlington SC and wife got impatient so we didn't fully recharge. Left Burlington with 230 miles of charge and 181 miles to drive. Since this was the first full-family trip with luggage it averaged closer to 335 kwh. Got home with 6 miles left on the battery. In case you've never cut it close, the car starts to limit your acceleration, sets speed limits, and will turn off the A/C as it gets closer to empty. Starts with about 20 miles remaining on the battery. Another Tesla moment!

This is why we've been waiting to get a Model S. We have a regular trip to a rural area that's exactly 250 miles, and there are no superchargers along the way (yet), and I don't want to stop at a campground for 2-3 hours to charge on what is otherwise a 4 1/2 hour trip! I'd hate to be 20 miles from my destination, at 11pm, in the winter, and have no power.

Sorry for the tangent.

Yesterday I was driving home from work. The Freeway exit puts me on a 4-lane road for about 2 miles with 1 traffic light halfway (the only intersection) and a speed limit of 55. About a quarter mile after exiting a freeway, a brand new Porsche Panamera blew by me probably doing about 80, but he got caught at the light. I pulled up next to him at the light and when it turned green, I left him completely in the dust, quickly getting it up to around 95 before I dialed it back (it was safe, no traffic or intersections were ahead for a mile). This apparently pissed him off, because as I was just starting to dial it back he blew by me in excess of triple digits.

I smiled the Tesla grin, knowing that while I used a few watt-hours of solar electricity to blast him off the line, he probably burned 2 gallons of gas to catch up and pass me.

Yeah, I made that mistake once, before South Hill was available. You didn't stop at South Hill on the way home? Instead of range charging at Burlington, it would be shorter to pick up a charge at South Hill. To be particularly safe, I'd charge to that 220-230'ish and then pick up some charge at South Hill.

For me, Burlington to my house in Richmond is about 199 miles, so I have to range charge in order to drive with traffic flow. It's really a charging desert from South Hill to Richmond.

I’ve had my car for three weeks to the day and have had a few minor Tesla moments that left me with a smile but today had me laughing and smiling throughout my commute this morning. If you’re a child of the 80’s you’ll understand this but when it happened this morning it reminded me of the Dukes of Hazzard. Watching Luke Duke hanging out the side of the General Lee while going what looks like to an impressionable five year old boy, highway speeds, was a favorite Friday night pastime for me.

This morning, driving to work, I notice a Ford pick-up pass me to the left. It pauses for 5 seconds at my 10 O’clock while the passenger hangs his entire lower body out the window, points his iPhone at the front of my car to take a few pictures….all at 65 MPH on the freeway. After he’s satisfied with the pictures taken the truck speeds off. I started laughing uncontrollably and continued to laugh for the next 30 minutes until I got to work.

Yeehaaa!

I wonder if you ever get used to it. I've had mine since April and have noticed quite a few "picture takers". The flash of the iPhone (or Android) pointed at the back of the car as observed from the rear view mirror. The 70 mph 35mm camera out the side window (from the passenger). Just the general spectator on the side of the road.... Interesting...

Here's a slightly different kind of Tesla moment: end of the workday yesterday I pulled out my phone to precool the car while I was packing up my laptop and gathering my stuff for the long walk out to where I park her. Get to the car and get in, step on the brake, and it tells me the key fob is not in the car! Please keep in mind it was the end of my work day, so my brain was used up. It didn't dawn on me that it had to be in my purse or I wouldn't be IN the car. After a moment of panic and fishing around in my purse and not finding the fob, I remembered the app upgrade! Grabbed my phone and started my car and was on my way. It was then that I realized I HAD to have the fob in my purse, because I went to the gym before work and so had to start the car to leave. Yeah, still hadn't put together the fact that my car unlocked when I walked up to it, it's so normal now. At the next traffic light, I dug around in my purse a little more and found the fob! So either my purse is made of some kind of crazy material that blocked the signal or I put it in just the right spot for it not to be recognized.

I was glad I did have it after all, but was even more thankful that if I had indeed lost it, or it was damaged, I could still have gotten home without delay! I LOVE this car. :love:

Here's a slightly different kind of Tesla moment: end of the workday yesterday I pulled out my phone to precool the car while I was packing up my laptop and gathering my stuff for the long walk out to where I park her. Get to the car and get in, step on the brake, and it tells me the key fob is not in the car! Please keep in mind it was the end of my work day, so my brain was used up. It didn't dawn on me that it had to be in my purse or I wouldn't be IN the car. After a moment of panic and fishing around in my purse and not finding the fob, I remembered the app upgrade! Grabbed my phone and started my car and was on my way. It was then that I realized I HAD to have the fob in my purse, because I went to the gym before work and so had to start the car to leave. Yeah, still hadn't put together the fact that my car unlocked when I walked up to it, it's so normal now. At the next traffic light, I dug around in my purse a little more and found the fob! So either my purse is made of some kind of crazy material that blocked the signal or I put it in just the right spot for it not to be recognized.

I was glad I did have it after all, but was even more thankful that if I had indeed lost it, or it was damaged, I could still have gotten home without delay! I LOVE this car. :love:
I think "personal Tesla moment" is fitting. Nice to see the start car feature being useful. I almost hope I lose my fob one of these days so I can have a similarly cool story to tell. :wink:

Sometimes I have my iPhone in my pants pocket, and if the fob ends up behind it the metal (or maybe interference) can make the car fail to see it.

Hi everyone,

I just joined the community (received my car two weeks ago!), loved reading through the forums, and wanted to share one of my Tesla moments.

I drove my family to Costco over the weekend to pick up some things and thought I would head back to the car to rest a bit and wait for them. I dozed off for some time and woke up to an older couple with their faces pressed against the glass peering through my windows! Nearly gave me a heart attack. Big smiles and thumbs up from them then they left with me awkwardly giving a thumbs up back to them, dazed and surprised.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and funny moments. I haven't been so excited about a new car in a long time and am glad to find other Tesla fanatics!

@rocketdallas, welcome, and as you can see there are plenty of "Teslots" (as my wife and I like to refer to them) on this forum :)

My recent Tesla moment was a woman who started talking to me in the grocery market parking lot while I was loading bags into the frunk. She asked me many questions about the S. I invited her to seat in the front seat and we spoke for quite awhile. She was trying to persuade her husband to spend more than $50K on a car and having some difficulty. I gave her some talking points.

Yesterday, my wife and I left Bozeman to go to Driggs, ID and Jackson Hole, WY for the week end. We called ahead to stop half way in West Yellowstone at the " Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park" . We asked for 2 hours of charge to give us a buffer since this was our first Trip to Jackson, since before kids, as well as our Longest Model S trip with out super chargers. We registered and got assigned a spot to charge at a NEMA 14-50. We came back in to ask a couple questions. The owner had not seen us come in yet and was telling another employee, in a super loud voice, Yah, I got "Tesla Man" checked into #60. Yep, "Tesla Man" is all paid up for 2 hours and he's all set" . My wife and I were holding back trying to keep our " Tesla Grins " from erupting into full blown belly laughs. Just then we said hello and she spun around to Greet Us. We asked our questions and walked away towards the Grizzly Bear Discovery Center laughing so Hard. It's was Really Fun Being " Tesla Man" for a little while!

I was stopped at a light with a black Corvette at my 7 o'clock positioned where I could just see the driver and passenger in my side view mirror. The passenger put her phone out the window to take a photo. As soon as I noticed her phone a huge grin came across my face. I'm pretty sure that her picture included my smiling face. :cool: BTW, I had my windows down. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to see my face.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I made a trip into town (we live about 5 miles out of town) to get lunch and some groceries. I parked the car near the grocery store and walked over to the sandwich shop. After we finished lunch we walked back to the car to grab our reusable bags and head into the store. As we were walking away an older gentleman pulled into an adjacent spot in his convertible Corvette and gets our attention. He wants to know if we are happy with the car. We probably spent about 10 minutes talking with this guy.

Yesterday coming home from going out to pickup some fish had a guy in a Porsche pull up next to me and give me a big thumbs up.

On Saturday I drove to Big Timber and to the Natural Bridge State Park. I was hungry, On the way is "Holly's Roadkill Saloon". Her motto is, "Straight From your grill to ours!" Tesla's don't have a grill but I ordered a burger, freshly picked up this morning they said. :) She and her husband are real car and truck people, they have even restored an old Peterbilt Truck. I gave them both test rides. Holly gets pressed into the passenger seat as we take off 0-60, She screams, with a huge Tesla Grin, "you just gave me a woody". I just could not stop laughing...

Last edited: