Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just picked up the car on 9/29, and on my first day driving into the office with my MC Red 90D, I got my first TM.

I was actually on my way home navigating fairly heavy surface street traffic. I was talking to my wife on the BT when I noticed a guy in a Honda behind me craning his neck attempting to read the back of my car. I didn't think much of it, but made a mental note. Fast forward one mile to the next light and I see him once again literally out of his drivers seat peering over the dash, ogling the hips of my girl. I mention to my wife that the guy behind me is holding himself up by his steering wheel trying to get a good look. We both meander our way to the next stop light, in heavy traffic, and I catch him coming by out of the corner of my eye....you know that feeling like someone is standing over your bed while you are sleeping - and you open your eyes? I slowly look to the right and I see this maniac - dead stopped in the right turning late (holding up traffic) leaning halfway out of his driver's side window, yelling something inaudible to me, and motioning to roll down my window. A quick warning to my wife that I have a maniac yelling at me in traffic, and I roll down the window...This Charles Manson look-alike starts asking me "What is that?" and "...You don't need a license plate with that thing"? Clearly not noticing the small Tesla temp tag in the corner of the window, I decide to just go with it..."It's a Tesla...and NO...it doesn't require a license plate!". "That's cool, man". Mr. Manson unfolds back into the driver's window and speeds off. My virginity gone forever!

I attracted the wrong kind of attention from a local sheriff tonight who pulled up along side, motioned for me to roll down my window, and then asked (sternly), "what's the hurry?" I responded with the truth, "my wife asked me to get some milk." So they let me off with a warning.

Driving down the highway yesterday at 90 km/h without the stereo on. Onto some new asphalt and I was marvelling as I always do at just how quiet the car is, without all the Rube Goldberg vibrations. But something was wrong... the music was still on. Quiet, but on. But it wasn't what I'd listen to.

After a moment of contemplation I realized I was listening to the music playing on the big Harley behind me.

Amazing. My windows were up and his speakers aimed back at him in the fairing, and I could still hear it. At 90+ km/h. And he wasn't quite tailgating either. I rolled down a window and the wind noise drowned him out.

Quiet! :biggrin:

After a moment of contemplation I realized I was listening to the music playing on the big Harley behind me.

Amazing. My windows were up and his speakers aimed back at him in the fairing, and I could still hear it. At 90+ km/h. And he wasn't quite tailgating either. I rolled down a window and the wind noise drowned him out.

I even get this from pickup trucks and sedans around me on the Interstate. Still surprises me at times.

I was inside a Dunkin Donuts, when this super riced out honda pulled up next to my Tesla in the parking lot, looking over my car wondering what it was. As I walked out with my keyfob in my pocket, I made eye contact and as I approached the car they asked me how you opened the car without handles. I simply said "like that", and the handles presented themselves just like the the Batmobile acts when Batman approaches the vehicle. All I heard was a "woah", then I got in my car and drove away.

Today I took my white Roadster to a small "classic cars" show in the small town of Evant, Texas. This is rural Texas: cattle, horses and pickup trucks country. I saw the usual mix of people: a few excited about the car, and many who were indifferent, curious, or simply bemused. But my Tesla Moment of the day didn't happen until the show was over and I departed. . .

I stopped at a nearby convenience store to grab a soda. After I got that and was pulling out, I noticed a van in the parking lot with the SolarCity logo on the side! I'd never seen that around here, and a man wearing the SolarCity shirt was standing by it -- getting something out of the van or putting something in, perhaps. I slowed as I passed, made eye contact, and gave him a thumbs-up. He returned the gesture and called back, "Like it!"

I pulled onto the highway and proceeded with a grin on my face, but probably hadn't gone more than a mile when I saw the flashing lights of an "oversized load" approaching. What could it be, some big piece of oil field equipment? Not this time. It was a gigantic tower section for a wind turbine!

And I suddenly realized that this stuff is really happening. Even here, in the home of big oil, reddest of red states, change is afoot. After decades of dreamy talk about some vague, quasi-utopian future of clean and renewable energy, it isn't sci-fi anymore. Mind you, we're still only at the beginning... but it's the beginning of an avalanche.

Today I took my white Roadster to a small "classic cars" show in the small town of Evant, Texas. This is rural Texas: cattle, horses and pickup trucks country. I saw the usual mix of people: a few excited about the car, and many who were indifferent, curious, or simply bemused. But my Tesla Moment of the day didn't happen until the show was over and I departed. . .

I stopped at a nearby convenience store to grab a soda. After I got that and was pulling out, I noticed a van in the parking lot with the SolarCity logo on the side! I'd never seen that around here, and a man wearing the SolarCity shirt was standing by it -- getting something out of the van or putting something in, perhaps. I slowed as I passed, made eye contact, and gave him a thumbs-up. He returned the gesture and called back, "Like it!"

I pulled onto the highway and proceeded with a grin on my face, but probably hadn't gone more than a mile when I saw the flashing lights of an "oversized load" approaching. What could it be, some big piece of oil field equipment? Not this time. It was a gigantic tower section for a wind turbine!

And I suddenly realized that this stuff is really happening. Even here, in the home of big oil, reddest of red states, change is afoot. After decades of dreamy talk about some vague, quasi-utopian future of clean and renewable energy, it isn't sci-fi anymore. Mind you, we're still only at the beginning... but it's the beginning of an avalanche.

It's my understanding that recently for a very brief time the cost of energy in Texas was negative.

Texas electricity goes negative: Wind power was so plentiful one night that producers paid the state to take it.

I was heading to a nearby nature preserve to enjoy our first true "cool" fall day. Unfortunately, it's in the 'hood, St Pete's south side. I had all the windows down and pano open, so at a light wasn't surprised to see two guys in a G35 next to me looking over into my car. I smiled, and the driver asked "that a Maserati?" Me, "no, it's a Tesla". He smiled and said " it's a Maserati, right? ". Sigh. " nope, Tesla. ". He said " what's that? " and I replied, "100% Electric Tesla, made in California and faster than a Maserati". The look on his face was priceless. The light changed and I gave it a little extra pedal, then as I made my turn I waved bye, I could see them smiling and nodding as I sped of!

Driving down the highway yesterday at 90 km/h without the stereo on. Onto some new asphalt and I was marvelling as I always do at just how quiet the car is, without all the Rube Goldberg vibrations. But something was wrong... the music was still on. Quiet, but on. But it wasn't what I'd listen to.

I had had a similar experience yesterday on I-4 in central Florida. I don't do a lot of freeway cruising, but was enjoying the latest iteration of TACC at something below my set speed (due to traffic). Then a Harley motorcycle pulled (safely) in front of us and began accelerating away aggressively. With the radio off (and windows up) the roar of the Harley was significant-and perfectly synchronized with the P85D matching his acceleration perfectly. My first reaction was, wow, never heard that before(?!?!?) thinking there was something wrong with the car. Then I realized we had the Tesla tractor-beam engaged and were being pulled along by the Klingon on the Harley! Fun.

Texas is absolutely prime material for renewable energy. Electricity is going to be ridiculously cheap in Texas in the near future with how their laws and grid system is handled, too.

Even in Ohio I can choose my electricity generation, and a 100% renewable (wind) provider is cheaper than the generic rate you'd get with the utility. Pretty neat stuff. There's a Solar City clone here with no money down, guaranteed maintenance solar power agreements (unfortunately, my roof isn't a great candidate and I have the HOA to go through...).

I truly think people will be taken offguard by the EV, battery, and renewable revolution that's coming.

Caught on my dashcam today! Kids these days...
At first I thought the dad wasn't so enthusiastic because he wasn't as aware of Tesla as his daughter. Went to the YouTube page so I could thumbs-up the video and watched it again with the larger player, then noticing that they were getting out of their own Tesla. It's great to see kids so excited about an EV, even if they don't entirely understand what it means for the future. That brightened my already good mood. :smile:

Unique Tesla moment... Illustrates the friendships created by TMC and a shared interest and understanding:

Last week I made another road trip to Charlotte. There are 4 of us local FL Tesla Enthusiasts club members who have become good friends, so whenever one of us makes such a trip, we track the traveler live using the LocaToWeb app. On my way back to Tampa this past Tuesday I had reactivated the tracker and my friends were monitoring my progress. They were also blowing up my phone with texts in our group chat, but that's another story.

I had pulled into the St Augustine supercharger and one of my fellow Tesla buddies, Great Dane, texted asking if I was heading to Ocala next. Yes. He then casually asked how many miles it was from St Augustine to Ocala. 90. Didn't think anything of it. I figured he was just living vicariously through me since he was supposed to have left the day before to make HIS first big road trip, but sadly had to cancel due to illness. This is important to the story...

Anyway, I get to Ocala and plug in. I have my drivers door open, sitting back reading more group texts from my Tesla gang. Out of the corner of my eye I see a white Tesla drive by. Great! Another owner to meet! I look up as the car begins to drive in front of me, so I can make eye contact, smile and wave. But, the driver...looks familiar... but, no.. he's sick...and Ocala is over 100 miles from St Pete... but it WAS Great Dane! He had been so looking forward to his road trip, had been feeling so ill for several days, that when he woke up feeling better Tuesday he just decided at that moment I was in St Augustine to take a drive to Ocala and surprise me! We had a lovely dinner at Mimi's, and then a fun drive back to St Pete!

Doubtful anyone would do this in an ICE car club!

Unique Tesla moment... Illustrates the friendships created by TMC and a shared interest and understanding:

Last week I made another road trip to Charlotte. There are 4 of us local FL Tesla Enthusiasts club members who have become good friends, so whenever one of us makes such a trip, we track the traveler live using the LocaToWeb app.
it WAS Great Dane! He had been so looking forward to his road trip, had been feeling so ill for several days, that when he woke up feeling better Tuesday he just decided at that moment I was in St Augustine to take a drive to Ocala and surprise me! We had a lovely dinner at Mimi's, and then a fun drive back to St Pete!

Doubtful anyone would do this in an ICE car club!

I love this story! I feel the same about some owners in Charlotte and know we would totally do something like this. Btw, I'll be driving to Florida next week, but sadly heading down 95 to Miami :(

I love this story! I feel the same about some owners in Charlotte and know we would totally do something like this. Btw, I'll be driving to Florida next week, but sadly heading down 95 to Miami :(
You should start a track on LocaToWeb and send us a link... You never know who might show up along your route! Stopping in port orange???