Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left the Safeway yesterday at the same time as a couple of firemen who had been shopping. They were razing me about the Cubs jacket I was wearing. I asked if they had seen a Model S yet and they said no, so I invited them over to see. Opened the car up and was showing them around. Asked if they had seen the video of the S being chopped up by the Fremont fire department as a training film. I got a business card from one of the chiefs and told him I would forward the video link to them. While we were talking, a hook and ladder team came over. All in all, about 8 fire fighters were there, talking and asking questions. The only thing that was not so cool was a guy walked passed and said, "another one catch on fire?" Another Telsa fire story reference. Anyway, I offered to bring the car by for one of their training sessions so the station personnel could have a chance to look it over and learn where the safey features are on the car. They said they would contact me.

nice! good on you helping local emergency responders get familiar with EVs.

It's a bit harder to see in the video than it was in person, but hopefully you can make it out. (Driver in front of me rolling down his window and giving a vigorous thumbs up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice... I meant to mention this the other day. I got two straight thumbs ups from a couple of people in a Mercedes and a BMW... The first one I wasn't sure if it was for the car or for my daft maneuver to dodge a haybale that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of I-80... The second one was clearly for the car.

My moment was on Day 1 of delivery. My wife and I took Joules out for a few-hour tour. Returning home on I-70W past Golden, CO, the road has a 6-mile, 3,000 ft climb. Halfway up I see a Lexas sedan gaining quickly on me, so not wanting to speed more than I was, I moved into the middle of 3 lanes. The Lexas pulled up along side and started gunning it. The couple in the Lexas were both giving us a thumbs up and nodding "yes". So with no cars within a half mile in front, I nodded "ok". He floored the Lexas, and a split second afterwards I did the same. We have 85 kW. Within a few hundred yards I had a good 50-foot lead, increased it to easily 100 yards before backing off. As the Lexas finally caught up, I started waggling my index finger "no, no, no, don't do that" (left and right). The woman in the passenger seating was laughing and clapping, while the guy driving was waving a white hankerchief. We all had a good laugh, and then my exit approached so we wave goodbye as we displaled hyperdrive just for giggles and grins.

• Funny
Reactions: F_T_K
The differences between the P85 and P85+ may be small but there is a big difference between the S85 and P85. I guess it depends on your definition of vanishingly small.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was getting stopped by people asking questions at least daily during the summer and fall. Now, during a Boston winter, it only happens a couple of times a week. Having said that, here's a recent sweet one.

A couple of weeks ago, I was coming out of a CVS Pharmacy when I noticed a guy checking out my car. When I got closer, I saw that his daughter was with him. He said hello and it turned out that he is a senior sales guy with SolarCity. He said he really enjoys working for that company, and for the Musk cousins and Elon himself. But I guess SolarCity really focuses on solar and not on Tesla instructional videos, because he had a ton of questions about the car. His knowledge, sincerity and interest shone through -- I wouldn't be surprised if he's quite a good salesman.

His daughter focused on what REALLY made the car special from her standpoint -- the rear-facing jump seats. She was ecstatic about the seats, and particularly pleased when she learned that she could control the opening and closing of the trunk via her very own private button.

What really made the event special was the pictures of these two people enjoying the car. I reproduce the photos here with their kind permission.

Alan
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4799.jpg

Reactions: Spacep0d
My favorite days are when you glance at the faces of drivers in opposing traffic, those that may be waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, or just randomly passing from the other direction, and you just see this beautiful beaming smile emerge as they suddenly notice your car. The beautiful smiles in that picture in prior post made me think of that. It kind of makes up for having to endure the assaults from redneck rampage in pickup trucks.

Runarbt is right. When I say "at speed," I'm saying passing speed, not zero to 60. At the TM forum, Sethvandermeer posted the following. Note at the bottom of the post that the 45 mph passing speed difference S85 vs P85 IS .2 seconds...vanishingly small, in my book. The big differences between the two are measured from a standing stop :

Take a look at the Motor Trend meassurments non-P vs. P:
0-30 2.3; 1.7 sec
0-40 3.1; 2.4
0-50 4.0; 3.1
0-60 5.0; 4.0
0-70 6.1; 5.0
0-80 7.4; 6.3
0-90 8.9; 7.7
0-100 10.8; 9.5
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.9; 1.7

"We want to hear it start up." I said "There's nothing to hear." They said, "That's the point." I drove away in silence with them watching.

LOL. There's a guy at my Winter (heated) driving range that runs out of the pro shop whenever I leave. "Turn it on, I want to hear it." "It IS on." Followed by an admiring head shake.

- - - Updated - - -

Runarbt is right. When I say "at speed," I'm saying passing speed, not zero to 60. At the TM forum, Sethvandermeer posted the following. Note at the bottom of the post that the 45 mph passing speed difference S85 vs P85 IS .2 seconds...vanishingly small, in my book. The big differences between the two are measured from a standing stop :

Take a look at the Motor Trend meassurments non-P vs. P:
0-30 2.3; 1.7 sec
0-40 3.1; 2.4
0-50 4.0; 3.1
0-60 5.0; 4.0
0-70 6.1; 5.0
0-80 7.4; 6.3
0-90 8.9; 7.7
0-100 10.8; 9.5
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.9; 1.7

Yes we get it. The P accelerates faster than the S. To some this is negligible or vanishingly small. I have no issue with folks saying they can't tell any difference. The S85 is a very fast car.

My "huh" in response to your post about Velo's story was that you seemed to imply that his story confirms your numbers. I'm no scientist but his story in no way confirms anything of the sort. He beat a Lexus up a hill. The story confirms that he beat a Lexus up a hill.

There aren't many places in my town where I can really punch the go pedal on my MS. Last weekend my son and I were heading out of town and we, fortunately, were caught at my favorite stoplight - it green lights to a 55 mph divided highway. We usually do a 0-60 test there, sightly downhill, 5 seconds for the MS, 10+ seconds for the old Prius. Anyway a pretty beat up BMW with a couple of young guys in it turns onto the highway at the light and I could see them checking out the car as they go by. They go into the right lane and I can see them poking along, looks like they hope we'll catch up. When the green light comes I punch it and zip by at about 80 and then slow up. The driver has his camera out so I drift back and let him get the full panorama. Smiles and waves and then I zip away.

Good times- makes me feel like a rock star.

Had another one today coming out of the bank. A guy waved me down and asked if the car could really go 350 miles. I said, "no, but 300 is possible on a good day, and the EPA rating is 265 miles." He looked disappointed, but asked if it was all I had hoped it would be, so I said, "and much more!" He said he was considering a Porsche Panamera, and asked comparison questions. I said, "The Panamera is a good bit more expensive, and you'll still be burning gas with it". He said he is used to burning lots of gas (diesel) with his truck rig, but likes the performance he's heard about. Asks how often I charge it. I say "every night, more or less, in my garage". Well, what about trips? "Superchargers are starting to connect the cities, certainly along the east coast. I bought it to take my family to Maine in the summer, among other things. We plan on having lunch or snack when we stop, as we always do on our trips to Maine." He says how long? I say "30 - 45 minutes." He says, I thought it was 20 minutes. I say "it depends on how much you need." And on an on. Eventually I just said "you have to go test drive it, but be careful because you'll be hooked." He asks where the nearby showrooms are, and I tell him. He thanks me profusely for the discussion and heads out...

Had another one today coming out of the bank. A guy waved me down and asked if the car could really go 350 miles. I said, "no, but 300 is possible on a good day, and the EPA rating is 265 miles." He looked disappointed, but asked if it was all I had hoped it would be, so I said, "and much more!" He said he was considering a Porsche Panamera, and asked comparison questions. I said, "The Panamera is a good bit more expensive, and you'll still be burning gas with it". He said he is used to burning lots of gas (diesel) with his truck rig, but likes the performance he's heard about. Asks how often I charge it. I say "every night, more or less, in my garage". Well, what about trips? "Superchargers are starting to connect the cities, certainly along the east coast. I bought it to take my family to Maine in the summer, among other things. We plan on having lunch or snack when we stop, as we always do on our trips to Maine." He says how long? I say "30 - 45 minutes." He says, I thought it was 20 minutes. I say "it depends on how much you need." And on an on. Eventually I just said "you have to go test drive it, but be careful because you'll be hooked." He asks where the nearby showrooms are, and I tell him. He thanks me profusely for the discussion and heads out...
These conversations are an absolute pleasure. Note the underlines I've added. This is clearly someone who has been thinking about it (and loosely following the accolades, etc. probably) but hasn't memorized all the vital statistics yet. He wants to be an owner but hasn't crossed the threshold yet.

We had a nice day in Seattle over the weekend so I took the opportunity to hand-wash my cars. At least 3 couples out walking and one driving stopped to look at the Tesla. Most times I was hidden from them as I was low scrubbing the wheels on one car or the other. When I noticed them we had nice conversations about the car and its features / capabilities. Everyone comments on how nice the car looks, everyone has questions about range and charging. Most are stunned by how much $ I tell them I am saving on fuel even after paying for electricity. It seems most people really do not comprehend how much less expensive electricity is than gas on an energy equivalence basis.

I was leaving lunch today and a guy swirled around quickly and pointed (saw my reflection in nearby glass, maybe?) and the whole group turned around and waved. One yelled "beautiful car, man" as I drove by, and I said "thanks" and waved out the roof.

They're pretty common around here, but you still meet the occasional excited stranger. Everyone pretty much knows all about them so I've never really gotten to give any of the talks you guys mention. The comments I get almost always involve the color... and I keep it shiny, which helps.

Good times.