Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had another Tesla Moment (tm) with my new mail carrier. I happened to be stepping out of the car when the carrier walked by and he handed me my mail. Then he did a double-take on the car.

Him: Wow, nice car! I thought it was a Honda Civic at first, but then looked again. It's a sports car, right?

Me: It's more like a sporty sedan.

Him: How much was it?

Me: It starts at 60, but this one is around 80 b/c of the battery.

Him: What?? Sixty thousand? It's very nice, but not a sport car?

Me: It's all electric.

Him: It uses some gas right? I just heard your car turn off.

Me: That's the fan for the battery b/c it's 100F out here.

Him: So...do you have to get gas?
But
Me: No, you just plug it in! (at this point, I had to show him the cable and the charge port to convince him)

Then we had a short conversation on range, etc. I guess he recently got a Honda CRV but now has a new car to lust after.
I do not know what it is about mail carriers but ours now waves at us even when he is anywhere on our road and makes a point of giving us our mail even if he has not finished delivering everyone at our mail boxes.(We live on a private road and our mail is delivered to boxes on the county road).

I do not know what it is about mail carriers but ours now waves at us even when he is anywhere on our road and makes a point of giving us our mail even if he has not finished delivering everyone at our mail boxes.(We live on a private road and our mail is delivered to boxes on the county road).

Our old one who retired used to wave when I drove by even if he was down the block. I like that they're friendly like that. Usually if I'm on the way out, I ask them to just stick the mail in the slot in the door just so I don't end up losing the mail in my car somewhere. Right now we're on a string of temporary mail carriers and one of the previous ones was so terrible that I had to go down to the post office and file a formal complaint twice. I'm happy about this new one!

Unfortunately we can still only dream of discussing our new model S' with the mail carriers in Australia! I can however confirm it seems to be a world wide constant that they a friendly bunch so I am sure it is only a matter of time once Tesla finally put us out of our misery!

One has good moments and sometimes one has not so good moments. This is about a moment that falls in latter category.
Encountered a blue debadged Tesla on 101S near Palo Alto. Rush hour yesterday morning. His lane was slowing down so made two fast lane changes in front of me and started zigzaging through traffic. No indicators. No sir. Fancy new EV doesn't come with indicators I suppose. *sigh*
License plate (not 100% sure): GOOD EV (?)

One has good moments and sometimes one has not so good moments. This is about a moment that falls in latter category.
Encountered a blue debadged Tesla on 101S near Palo Alto. Rush hour yesterday morning. His lane was slowing down so made two fast lane changes in front of me and started zigzaging through traffic. No indicators. No sir. Fancy new EV doesn't come with indicators I suppose. *sigh*

Some folks are jerks no matter what car they drive

From my experience around 10% of ICE cars "dont have" indicators either :)

no turn indicators when changing lanes is a California thing. I've never seen it so prominent as it is here (and I've lived all over the U.S.). Growing up, my dad was the only person I knew who didn't use them, and now I know why. He lived in California for a few years in the 80s.

no turn indicators when changing lanes is a California thing. I've never seen it so prominent as it is here (and I've lived all over the U.S.). Growing up, my dad was the only person I knew who didn't use them, and now I know why. He lived in California for a few years in the 80s.

To be fair, if you're not waiting 2 seconds before making the maneuver, a turn signal is redundant. I suspect that non-indication goes with rushing around.

Local Firestone guy just came buy to offer those in my office building oil change specials. I simply said I was not interested because I was on a conference call on my headset. He continued on, "we have great specials", "where do you get your car serviced now?" etc. etc. I tried to briefly explain that I had a car that needed no oil changes, and did not have a gas-burning engine. He replied, "oh you've got a Hybrid!" I said, "well no, it's all-electric", he says, "Oh cool, I didn't know they made anything like that, how's the reliability?" I said it was amazing and he asked who makes it, I said Tesla and he said, yea but who makes it? I said it's a car company from California called Tesla, he said he hadn't heard of them, and asked if it was a custom order. I stated that mine was but there are plenty of them out there. I had to get back to my call but I told him my car was right outside if he wanted to check it out, I saw him walking around it a few minutes later.

On our way out this weekend, my husband noticed a neighbor in our driveway looky-looing at my tesla. He was peering in the windows, looking at the back, etc. When I went out to talk to him, he wanted to know if it was a hybrid (even though it was clearly plugged in). Even after I said it was fully electric, he asked if I had to put gas in it. I'm surprised by how many times I have to say "No, it's fully electric, no gas at all" when explaining the car to people. I'd think that with how many bev's there are in LA, people would be used to them.

So far, the number one question people ask is if I have to put gas in it. The next question they usually ask after that is how much the car costs. I usually just say "Starts at 60" because that's a little more reasonable than telling them how much I actually paid for the car.

I just had an embarrassing moment. I parked my car, a lady walks by and asks if the fires have gotten better. I instantly get 'defensive' and say that gas cars have far more fires than electric cars. The lady looks kind of puzzled and then rephrases her question. What she was asking me about were the ongoing wild fires in Southern California!

Stupid me! LOL

...a lady walks by and asks if the fires have gotten better. I instantly get 'defensive' and say that gas cars have far more fires than electric cars. The lady looks kind of puzzled and then rephrases her question. What she was asking me about were the ongoing wild fires in Southern California!

As I was leaving a lot, a guy in a mini-van pulls up and gestures for me to roll down the window. I oblige, fully expecting Model S questions when he asks, "Would you like to take advantage of an ordering error?" "No," I say, and as my window is going back up he stutters, "don't you want to know what I have?"

Since this was obviously some variant of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam ,I normally would have feigned interest to string-along the con artist, but I was caught off-guard by him not asking about the car.

Just got an email from my insurance agent:

Agent: "I have been asked to find out if the Tesla is a 4 or 2 door vehicle and the number of cylinders"
Me: "4 door, 0 cylinder"

I later amended to say that it might be a 5 door given that it is a pseudo-hatchback.

Was checking my mail in front of my building yesterday, and little boy and his father were looking at my car while I ran inside. I came out and heard the man say, "wow, look at that car" so I rolled down my windows and invited the man and his 5-6 year old son to look at the car inside and ask any questions. They were stupefied.

As I was leaving a lot, a guy in a mini-van pulls up and gestures for me to roll down the window. I oblige, fully expecting Model S questions when he asks, "Would you like to take advantage of an ordering error?" "No," I say, and as my window is going back up he stutters, "don't you want to know what I have?"

Since this was obviously some variant of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam ,I normally would have feigned interest to string-along the con artist, but I was caught off-guard by him not asking about the car.
Yeah, I've been approached in a Home Depot parking lot by the same scam, except this guy was selling flat panel TVs out of his van. Not worth engaging with these con artists.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got an email from my insurance agent:

Agent: "I have been asked to find out if the Tesla is a 4 or 2 door vehicle and the number of cylinders"
Me: "4 door, 0 cylinder"
Ha, that is awesome. I will remember that one in case I get the same call.