Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Company Forum Now Moderated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was flag- gate ? Haven't been over to the official forums in awhile.
Since they have the ability to 'flag' inappropriate posts for forum review, a couple people started flagging each other's posts.
I understand 'Lola's' worry that having TM mods opens up a can of worms but the site really does beg for moderation. the ability to modify one's posts would also be of Great benefit.

I fear this for Tesla.... Passing judgement on any posts implies tacit approval. Removing or restricting posts opens up the door for the censorship label. Tesla would pull spam which was nice but I thought them wise to stay out of absolutely everything else so as to stay "clean" in the process.

TM has already been accused of censorship and removing posts. Admittedly I haven't been there for some time because 1) there are too many posts on TMC for me to read and 2) The only way I can login to the TM site is to change my password. That would be okay, except that it changes back to no-login without password change the next day. No idea why that happens, and I haven't mailed ownership about it yet as it's not annoying enough yet to actually do something about.

They should follow the example of the NY Times: the moderators there can flag someone as a trusted commenter, which means your comments show up immediately instead of having to go through manual review.

Here on TMC, we basically set up anyone with more than a handful of posts as a "trusted commenter" unless they prove themselves to be otherwise.

New threads are still showing up at TM (as of today, 3/23) but no replies. That suggests a technical problem, not a decision to review each and every post. That, and the fact that (at least in the Model S forum) there haven't been any obvious flame wars or other abuses to prompt intrusive modding.

One of the things that greatly impressed me was that Tesla maintained a discussion forum on their site and took a relatively hands-off approach to moderating it. I don't know what the ultimate answer is, but I'm sure it's not requiring someone at TM to approve every new post.

That said, I am a little concerned there's been a recent change in approach towards owners. I was warned about a possible blanket warranty-voiding when buying a backup camera for the switch in development in the Model S forum. Another user got a call warning him to stop looking at traffic on the Ethernet port. And potentially locking down the forums. Hopefully all just a big coincidence, but I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

Why do some choose to go to the official forums at all? What value add do they provide over TMC? It's not as if Tesla employees are actively engaging in the conversations there or anything like that.

I much prefer the community feel that I get here on TMC. The software is definitely superior and allows me convenient mobile access via Tapatalk and such. The Mod Squad are the best asset over here.

Another user got a call warning him to stop looking at traffic on the Ethernet port.

I'm guessing they were using the wording in the "data services agreement" against reverse engineering, etc. Not sure that wording is legal in all jurisdictions, but you would have to consult a lawyer to be certain.

Why do some choose to go to the official forums at all?

When I first got interested in Tesla, I joined and participated on the corporate forums. Then one day I found out about TMC when someone referenced it in the corporate forums. Up until that point it hadn't occurred to me to go looking for TMC. So I started participating in both places. Then the corporate forums went really downhill, with gobs of spam and low signal-to-noise ratio posting... and the volume of posts here skyrocketed... and now I only rarely go to the corporate forums. TMC is so much better in every respect. (I'm not saying that because I'm a moderator; I'm a moderator because of that.)

The Magnuson-Moss act would prevent a blanket voiding of the entire warranty because of after-market parts; However, with the car being more interconnected than the typical ICE, I can see there being room for lots of gray in the interpretation.

There's a fair bit of wiggle room in there, anyway. Most manufacturers aren't afraid of voiding a good chunk of the warranty (such as, the drivetrain). They're aware that in order to force adherence to Magnuson-Moss you have to take them to court, which most car buyers don't have the means or resolve to go through with. That said, I assume most Tesla buyers would at least have the means. The main sticking point of Magnuson-Moss was that for the warranty to be void, the aftermarket part had to provably have caused the failure, which remains the case no matter how interconnected the vehicle is.

That's what makes this interesting. I'm curious to see how it plays out. I think everyone's still feeling each other out, here. I'm still reasonably confident at this point that we'll settle into a good place that benefits both parties.

I'm guessing they were using the wording in the "data services agreement" against reverse engineering, etc. Not sure that wording is legal in all jurisdictions, but you would have to consult a lawyer to be certain.

Likely the case. There's been a lot of cases in this area in the past 5-10 years. In California obtaining trade secrets through reverse engineering was recently (2012) found to be protected by the courts even when form contracts specifically forbade it, though it didn't address whether you might be liable for breach of contract... though I doubt Tesla would sue an owner listening on a user-accessible bus for breach of contract, that's easily bypassed: second-hand owners aren't bound by any of these restrictions!

Anyway, my experience here nearly exactly mirror's Doug's. I started over at the Tesla Motors forums, saw TMC mentioned, and then participated in both places. Then eventually only here. There's a definite lack of accountability on Tesla's forums: you can't click on a user and see their posts, you can't easily determine who's a SPAM bot who just signed up and who's been an actual owner for a year, and legitimate posts can be silenced with enough "flags," which aren't meta-moderated, and are ripe for abuse.

I'd like Tesla's forums to persist because I think it's inspiring the company believes in its product enough to let such a thing exist. The problem being that they're not terribly well implemented.

Why do some choose to go to the official forums at all? What value add do they provide over TMC? It's not as if Tesla employees are actively engaging in the conversations there or anything like that.

I much prefer the community feel that I get here on TMC. The software is definitely superior and allows me convenient mobile access via Tapatalk and such. The Mod Squad are the best asset over here.

Last year I started on the company forums but found the interface hopelessly antiquated and the lack of moderation unfortunate. Then I discovered TMC and have been here ever since. The moderation is very reasonable, there are many excellent contributors and Tapatalk is wonderful.

Another user got a call warning him to stop looking at traffic on the Ethernet port.

There is no way you can stop that, and no way they can hold that against you. If that were the case, then your router would be in breach of contract... Cause guess what your router does, and has the capability of doing. If they don't want you to see the traffic going across the wire then they should be employing basic encryption... SSL has been around for ever, hello! I haven't looked at the data that gets pushed across or anything, so I am just making assumptions here, but first of all, there is no way you can hold it against someone looking at packet data going across a part of the network that they control, and at that, there is no way to even prove that he did it, since it would be a sniffer.

True secure computing doesn't rely on the algorithm being hidden as the means of protecting the connection, and security through obscurity is the absolute worst way to run stuff. I want to go do this now, just to tell them where they can stick it.

PS: My job hinges on the fact that I am able to look at raw data going across an internet connection. So this whole thing is laughable.

Last year I started on the company forums but found the interface hopelessly antiquated and the lack of moderation unfortunate. Then I discovered TMC and have been here ever since. The moderation is very reasonable, there are many excellent contributors and Tapatalk is wonderful.

Me too... the forums were rather hard to read and navigate. The spam was bad, but the lack of a search function made it difficult for a newbie to quickly find information. TMC was just superior in every way.

The fact that it's been over 24 hours and the corporate forum is still broken is one thing. The fact that they have not explained to even their staunchest supporters what the problem is, what the plans might be or even the promise that the functionality will return "soon" underlines the weakest part of their customer service: communication.
The silver lining is that it has given me a good amount of time to poke around on TMC. Nice place you guys have over here. I could get used to this.
J.T.