Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MP3 delivered without brake pad on drivers side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your repairs to a hybrid vehicle may have been delayed due to shortage of parts (BTDT with i3), but you didn't have to wait 4 weeks to get your Pacifica Hybrid into a Chrysler dealership, right?!
Thats the funny bad sad part.. I didnt wait four weeks to get the van into the dealer.. but I DID wait 4 weeks before they even looked at it. I found it parked on their overflow parking because I had not heard anything back after two weeks and regardless of my pestering calls. I drove down to the dealer and went walking. Turns out the original service writer had been fired.. he had written it up and then parked it and parked the ticket with dozens of other tickets and left ( not clear. who walked or was fired first).. then I had to wait for the next service writer to clear the backlog of tickets/work before they could even get to my van.. then it was 2 weeks for parts. Total CF on several levels. Right now I need the van's systems flashed.. I have 4 software patch recalls and the dealer doesn't even want to talk to me .. go figure.

The best thing to come out of this story is that the woman didn't get into a major accident. A new vehicle should never, ever be delivered to a customer missing brake pads. Elon does have to start investing in some better quality control programs as while it's easy to ignore this stuff at the top of the wave it will eventually catch up to them.
You're right it should never happen, but it does. A few years back GM had a problem with missing pads:

From the searching I did they only found about 20, out of 5000, that had missing pads.

Thats the funny bad sad part.. I didnt wait four weeks to get the van into the dealer.. but I DID wait 4 weeks before they even looked at it.

That's even worse, some of the dealer service lots are just a bunch of scratches and door dings waiting to happen. The less time the car can sit there, the better. I usually even ask if they're going to get to it, and will just drive a car home (assuming it drives) and come back for the part if it's a long order cycle.

You're right it should never happen, but it does. A few years back GM had a problem with missing pads:

From the searching I did they only found about 20, out of 5000, that had missing pads.
Are you saying GM led — and it matters?

Man, I just have to ask…. Is your car that unreliable that you have been to service centers in three different states within the past month? My model 3 is almost two years old and luckily has never seen the inside of a service center. I hope my luck holds out!

I knew that question was coming. 😂

It’s actually been a very reliable car for us, covering 138,000 miles in three and a half years of ownership. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow - a trip it has done many times.

The incident that brought us to three service centers was failed Supercharger contactors on one of those aforementioned cross-country trips. While we only made it a hundred miles west of Chicago, the car still got us back home and our local service center got it repaired after a brief parts delay.

The point of the post was that the service centers aren’t walled fortresses. If you have a pressing issue like a brake problem or interruption to a trip, the service centers, in my experience, will do everything they can to accommodate you as a walk-in.

FWIW, I get that the service response to this woman's situation is absurd, and __of__course__ she shouldn't have to - but holy f-ing heck, I would've sourced a 3rd party brake pad set, got my car back up and running a in a couple of days, __then__ dealt with this issue.
Totally agree. Fix it yourself. Would prolly take less than an hour, unless the rotors are totally damaged due to her driving. With no pads. That in itself seems pretty dumb. I can’t imagine the racket it must make. The caliper pistons are probably screwed too. I would have thought as soon as she drove away she would have noted it. I’m surprised no one from Tesla noted it earlier. That’s the true issue.

Reactions: Hank42
Sure.. I have four dealers here that would argue otherwise. My van just spent 4 months at a dealer trying to get fixed. In that time, they went through 3 service writers on my ticket. Anyone with a Pacifica Hybrid and recent dealer experiences would point out that the dealers have a 2-3 week wait for the hybrids. Everyone has the same issues.. a lot of customers.. not enough QUALIFIED techs. The EVs make this situation even worse because a good EV tech is not on every street corner. Chrysler does simple stuff in the bays but a lot of the time, they "phone home" to Chrysler engineering for help and diagnostics. The onprem guys are just out of their depth as a rule.

Tesla is not any better or worse.. they have to hire from the same small pool of talent that everyone else has to work with then train them up for Tesla specific information. And that takes time.. quite a bit of time if they want them to be worth a damn. GM has the same issues.. I saw an ad for a Corvette Electronic technician.. not a mechanic.. a ET.. thats a pretty special skill set and it's because the electronics of the car are so damn complicated.
Partly a question, are those first people at service, mechanics or writers? At legacy dealerships they are sales people and most have minimal training.

Thats the funny bad sad part.. I didnt wait four weeks to get the van into the dealer.. but I DID wait 4 weeks before they even looked at it. I found it parked on their overflow parking because I had not heard anything back after two weeks and regardless of my pestering calls. I drove down to the dealer and went walking. Turns out the original service writer had been fired.. he had written it up and then parked it and parked the ticket with dozens of other tickets and left ( not clear. who walked or was fired first).. then I had to wait for the next service writer to clear the backlog of tickets/work before they could even get to my van.. then it was 2 weeks for parts. Total CF on several levels. Right now I need the van's systems flashed.. I have 4 software patch recalls and the dealer doesn't even want to talk to me .. go figure.
Like I said: hybrid is DOUBLE-trouble. You mate 2 different systems together: it's a whole new ball game.

Totally agree. Fix it yourself. Would prolly take less than an hour, unless the rotors are totally damaged due to her driving. With no pads. That in itself seems pretty dumb. I can’t imagine the racket it must make. The caliper pistons are probably screwed too. I would have thought as soon as she drove away she would have noted it. I’m surprised no one from Tesla noted it earlier. That’s the true issue.
I've worked with electronic boards manufacturing/production. All parts should be visually inspected and tested before main system assembly. My guess is the brake kit assembly was not complete, missing the brake pad, it was installed without the missing brake pad. QC was asleep and let it went thru. The final test drive before delivery was not performed....The head of M3 line should resign. Elon Musk laid off a whole production line before when delivery was not met per schedule. This thing has slipped thru many stages, not only one.

FWIW, I get that the service response to this woman's situation is absurd, and __of__course__ she shouldn't have to - but holy f-ing heck, I would've sourced a 3rd party brake pad set, got my car back up and running a in a couple of days, __then__ dealt with this issue.
I mean, if it is that simple, why is Tesla dragging it out? Looking at rock auto for a 2021 M3...there are no performance brake pads for sale. Only LR brakes under the "economy" category from an obscure brand.

Going in yourself to fix it is also a sure way to add more ambiguity around what happened post sale...

I mean, if it is that simple, why is Tesla dragging it out? Looking at rock auto for a 2021 M3...there are no performance brake pads for sale. Only LR brakes under the "economy" category from an obscure brand.

Going in yourself to fix it is also a sure way to add more ambiguity around what happened post sale...

Well, that's just me, if I can DIY something and avoid weeks of being without a car (and leaving it with a service center...), I'd do it, but I get not wanting to introduce extra complexity into a car that was just delivered. YMMV.

To be honest: I'm not convinced that the delay is solely due to not being able to source a rear brake pad which does seem a little odd. I think maybe they're doing a more thorough inspection - possibly a partial tear down to confirm other issues.

(Bonus comment: Wow, there are some raging ****wits commenting on InsideEVs ... 🤪 )

Well, that's just me, if I can DIY something and avoid weeks of being without a car (and leaving it with a service center...), I'd do it, but I get not wanting to introduce extra complexity into a car that was just delivered. YMMV.

To be honest: I'm not convinced that the delay is solely due to not being able to source a rear brake pad which does seem a little odd. I think maybe they're doing a more thorough inspection - possibly a partial tear down to confirm other issues.

(Bonus comment: Wow, there are some raging ****wits commenting on InsideEVs ... 🤪 )
yea I understand. When the 12v battery failure was going around my thought was, just go buy one and get it over with. The article I read did confirm Tesla agreed to replace a slew of brake components and even pay one car payment. So its headed in the right direction.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
When I received my 2022 M3P some of my tesla hater friends sent me this horror story about the break pads. I removed the wheels one by one (starting with the rear) to "double check":
CuRGwtMtpLx3bhDXN1_JqD_okc54Um1o6eT64OPpG3K_x24PPbdajzDM5xXTptXj11XzZ5CZSlrgbMv1Y6fD0v7gjdCAdQJiEZTeRykYKXJ-Fm_KmK97FCN-hTnpoctDHfM4lv_aCZBFAzO4p3Bk8P85o8UKhUayn8lNCrdDOju73twmK1NOJCVnbLXhgmNdo9_v5iW0ttfnFXEzyBa0p-VDpASwoWAaL68gZ0-kUgWX0LQkdi6HHoTxuH8u665hvgNEbJdluGFzXG06Sdpy3hmtI-sKzjj7DchL046t5yek7oAqkqbBo_HqZ1JzKmTNrAoNTlF5IPkYAGBDG88OH5Dwmqoq3NpeDbNn6AV0w3pdiRihbhQKiigJwoaEUF7TS-dzjRt1HOA54kivzapZ1-SBK1_Mjkaw4Y9bCq9bYxEkTd0n5U0uzfuD7o7Rh4lBh-jkkBzNIk_bNKm_jQ6cufany694Y6BKw_JVsL20wfGFpYtRG2mLgT21U1y3Qkt1hmV5_1--Ea9JHHZSdqLa723sx16ZCu2DqtzgWEwYLbQ2CJDAIEZH2vsSeUx0kPiPp7GBMW_fp9igN0AeQh5CF39y4j6UyY08GhhX8yfogVpHXU1w1D39yXJ_XJpmu4DdwiI-Zk6fp79tb4UeSXuYZo8mgyTfka-oYirqWXI-zLGmNKmfmPVUoX0v_ceLwbpqi_vV5jVYBb5sqAfQpUvlqe4=w328-h437-no

Break pads all seemed good to go. However, three of the wheels lugs (both rears & front driver) seems to be secured with lower than spec wheel lug (70-100 ft-lbs). Only the front passenger wheel was at spec (129 ft-lbs for all 5 lugs at that one wheel). Not a big deal, just went around and torqued all of them to spec.

For all of these "issues" people supposedly have, you still have to consider the alternatives...nothing. I mean, if I was the poor girl who got that tesla with no pads, what are you going to do? Sell it and buy a BMW i4? Uh, no thanks. Although extremely frustrating/unacceptable the only other option is settle on having a pile poo for 5-10 years +. Akin to having high speed internet access that cuts out for a small number customers here and there. What are they going to do? Cancel and go with 56k dialup service? Tesla's got us over a barrel here.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
You need to do some more research into this!! Plenty of multiple week waits from many dealers for parts to come in so as to be ABLE to perform certain services. What is the service you are requiring?
Recently there is a M3/Y recall about loose washer on the front lateral link that results in loose steering. I have an intermittent steering wheel shimmy/shuddering so 1) I want to check all my front suspension links to make sure nothing is loose. Four (4) days before my appointment time, a Service Advisor from another city let me know that might be related to Lane Change warning in Safety. I do some searching that is a system warning when you do lane change without using lane change signal, this is in AutoPilot, NOT in Safety. The Control panel about Pedals/Steering should put a note about system will shake your steering wheel to avoid ALL the worries created by this Unusual warning method. 2) I have a 2020 M3 LRDM and battery range always shows 299 mile is my max, I do not have the usual indicators of Performance PUO. As I do a research on Tesla.com on its Used Inventory for 2020 LRDM and 2020 Performance, the non-P has 322 range while all the P has 299 range due to the S/W tweak to the Rear DU that consumes more battery juice, hence range is reduced. This fact is confirmed on all Cargurus.com listing of 2020 Tesla M3P and LRDM. I have to educate all Tesla sales and advisors the range reduced to 299 mile is a proof that you have the rear DU tweaked by S/W to accelerate faster 0-60 at 3.2 sec, it is similar to $2000 accelerate boost of 0.5sec faster. The rear motor/DU of non-P and P version are physically the same motor. Service Advisors cannot detect by VIN that I have the rear motor was tweaked to P version. Elon Musk explained that these motors were selected by their higher Sigma output (part of D/A conversion of S/W, not motor) and better burn-in?

I’ve bought/leased new ICE cars and whenever I told dealers that my new car has a defect/problem, it is always be fixed at the highest priority the next day, NOT to wait for 3 weeks by the poor girl paid more than $60K for a M3P without driver side brake pad. This will be a forever story.