Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mud Flaps / Paint Protection Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. My bad. They asked me if I wanted both mud flaps put on the front of the car. The short ones and the longer splash Guards. I asked how low the splash guards hang and was told “not that low”. Turns out they have maybe a couple of inches of clearance from the ground. They are way too low and I must have scraped them on the ground several times on the way down to work from Tesla.
Question. Are the 2 longer splash guards connected to the car independently of the shorter ones? I noticed there are 2 screws and I am wondering if I can remove the longer splash guards without impacting the shorter ones that are secured to the car?

I was sitting at my desk and my OCD was driving me crazy, so I went downstairs with a pair of scissors and trimmed the flaps. (Of course it may not have been in a straight line) but I took about 2 inches off the bottom on each side. Cuts pretty easily with a pair of sharp scissors. In hindsight, I would have only installed the small ones and not put on the additional "splash guards".

Before skipping or cutting the rubber portion of the mud flap to make it a more usual length, please consider that the rubber has to barely kiss the ground if you want gravel and sand projection to avoid hitting the front of the rear wheel well (see picture below).

Tesla engineers may have good reasons on why they provided mud flaps that are so long...
Tesla-Model-3-paint-issues-e1574247845623.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricCanuck
Went by tesla Lawrence this morning to pick them up. They have lots in stock (as of 8:18 am on Tue Jan 7) and they said they would install them for me if I could wait around 25 minutes. I am waiting and they are putting them on. I did not have an appointment.

Did they clean the car before installing or did they just install over any dirt/mud that was there? Of course, I’m assuming that your car was dirty :D.

Installed the mud flaps today. Gave me a good reason to rotate my tires. They gave me the first generation kit with the metal screws. They do require quite a bit of pressure to tighten so I was happy to be able to use a regular size screw driver. int32_t did great job with the install description. Here are a few pictures from additional angles.
SC gave me printed instructions:
IMG_3536.JPG

Have to cut off plastic cover. It has a very thin hinge so is easy to cut off.
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3533.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG

Reactions: int32_t
Is there a bolt on the back on the back of the screw or does it simply screw into the bracket?

I am thinking that I would like to remove the longer splash guards (even though I have cut them down) but I am concerned about removing the screw (which I need to do to remove the splash guards) and then finding it difficult to re-secure it.

Would be nice if there was an affordable rocker cover option, either chrome or black, to protect the whole area under the doors.

There's a carbon fiber product available, but that costs over US$1300, including shipping.

Looking at what's available for other vehicles, it should be possible to get something good for a couple of hundred dollars. But that doesn't appear to exist yet for Model 3.

...and no, I don't want a wrap.

Installed the mud flaps today. Gave me a good reason to rotate my tires. They gave me the first generation kit with the metal screws. They do require quite a bit of pressure to tighten so I was happy to be able to use a regular size screw driver. int32_t did great job with the install description. Here are a few pictures from additional angles.
SC gave me printed instructions:
[...]
Great photos, your garage has much better light and is way cleaner than the spot I chose to do the install!

For those of you who are concerned about effort to install, yes, it takes some time to do the first gen kit. If Tesla gives you a second-gen kit (push clips instead of bolts), installation will be easier and quicker on a number of fronts.

Also, having received the mud flap email myself, I now realise that my service centre was being nice and handing out kits before the official announcement, which ended up working far better for my schedule than anything in the new year would have, so I'm very grateful for that! Hope I didn't cause problems for Tesla by starting this thread before they were properly ready to go with the kits. :oops:

Last edited: