Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla mx buyback/return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way, they won't take it back. If there's something wrong, you have to take it in for service. If that doesn't fix it, you would have to file a lemon law dispute for them to take it back. They will not take a car back regardless of the reason without filing a lemon law dispute.

Hi,

Anyone succesfully returned they a few days after delivery?
Is there a procedure?

Thank you

Not sure why you think someone can do this. I found out recently that some people seem to have some misinformation on consumer protection laws, and think there is some kind of "buyers remorse" law that allows them to change their mind after delivery because they changed their mind.

The Lemon Law is fairly ubiquitous, but there are only certain circumstances where that applies, and it is not a simple process. There is not a Tesla "oops" policy.

Last edited:
Hi,

Anyone succesfully returned they a few days after delivery?
Is there a procedure?

Thank you

Sure, have your wife back your X into your garage wall, claim it started up, shifted in reverse and crashed all by itself, then post the story on various online forums and social media and report it to Tesla. And pray the blackbox suffered some massive malfunction and none of the activity was captured. Then you should be good.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying they could successfully return the car without good reason using Lemon Laws. I'm saying Tesla generally won't take the car back, unless a LEGITIMATE Lemon Law violation forced them to.

Hi,

My problem is with the car not always working as expected and quality.
For what you pay they should check the car better. The car I testdrove seemed in better shape than the one I bought.
Yesterday at a supercharger I checked the seats of an MX 9XXX and they where nicer than mine, 20XXX, no wrinkles or weird stitching.

I feel like the whole Tesla experience is a joke and every day I find new issues with the car. For example 2 day ago I discoverd the car "wobbles" when I make a U turn, one side only. I still need to investigate.

Every day I discover an issue.
This never happend to me with other cars, so I am not sure why it should happen now for a car 3 times more expensive then the one I have.

I like how the car drives, but I am not impressed with how it was engineered.
Doors open randomly, or not all the way although there is room.

All these things add up, so I am not happy.

Thank you

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and Mjølner
Hi,

My problem is with the car not always working as expected and quality.
For what you pay they should check the car better. The car I testdrove seemed in better shape than the one I bought.
Yesterday at a supercharger I checked the seats of an MX 9XXX and they where nicer than mine, 20XXX, no wrinkles or weird stitching.

I feel like the whole Tesla experience is a joke and every day I find new issues with the car. For example 2 day ago I discoverd the car "wobbles" when I make a U turn, one side only. I still need to investigate.

Every day I discover an issue.
This never happend to me with other cars, so I am not sure why it should happen now for a car 3 times more expensive then the one I have.

I like how the car drives, but I am not impressed with how it was engineered.
Doors open randomly, or not all the way although there is room.

All these things add up, so I am not happy.

Thank you

Okay so make a list, take it in for service and allow Tesla to fix them. No, they aren't going to take the car back, this isn't Wal-Mart...

Jeff

Yeah, Its things like this that piss me off. There is no way Tesla is going to take it back and give the user a full refund. They will offer to probably buy it back for $20k less then you paid.

To the dollar. $20K less is almost exactly what the offered me on my 2 week old car with 500 miles.
My suspension is god awful. Nothing like the multiple [Tesla] vehicles I test drove. And I have 4 other quality issues with in the first week of delivery. Process or not, I am seriously thinking about pursuing lemon law action if they continue to tell me my suspension is "just like our demo car". Even my 4 year old is asking why my car is so bumpy.

Okay so make a list, take it in for service and allow Tesla to fix them. No, they aren't going to take the car back, this isn't Wal-Mart...

Jeff
Agreed, you have to ask them to fix everything multiple times. If they can't or wont' fix it, then you can try to return. But just having some quality issues on delivery isn't enough to force a return.

Before delivery, I called after I received confirmation that the car is OK to ask them to double check.
They sent me another email saying that the car is OK.
It's not. Honestly I don't want to deal with Tesla team anymore.
Well, you may have a point there. I believe Tesla is shipping cars with known defects and not reporting them to customers at delivery.
My example is the mirror folding problem. They have know about this problem for over a month. Yet they shipped many cars since then with mirrors that don't fold correctly at delivery. They aren't telling customers about this problem. When you discover the issue (usually on the highway when you go to check your mirror but can't, cause it didn't unfold) you have to schedule an appointment to get it fixed. I think legally they should have to disclose known defects before your accept delivery. I'm not sure if there is any law like this - but it really doesn't seem fair.

Before delivery, I called after I received confirmation that the car is OK to ask them to double check.
They sent me another email saying that the car is OK.
It's not. Honestly I don't want to deal with Tesla team anymore.

First of all you asked a subjective question and therefore you got a subjective answer. Secondly, whether you want to deal with them or not is really irrelevant. They aren't going to simply take the car back, you don't qualify for the lemon law yet, you literally have no other option but to follow the process. Don't want to follow the process? Too bad, as I said before, you literally have no other option out there. Consumer protection laws are there to help you but you actually have to do something for them to work in your favor.

There isn't anything anyone here can do for you other than to help guide you through the lemon law process, but again, you must deal with Tesla for all of this to work.

Jeff

Reactions: FarmerDave
My MX was delivered last May, and I have had NUMEROUS problems with it. It has been back and forth to the Tesla store in Nashville, for a total of over 80 days in service. Despite being a massive Tesla and Elon fan, I finally had to threaten a lemon law claim because all of the service visits have definitely decreased the value of the vehicle. After threatening a lemon law claim, but begging for them to handle everything informally, I was contacted by Alberto Cortinas, some higher-up guy in Tesla, who assured me that Tesla will be replacing my vehicle.

That was over a month ago.

Since then I just keep either getting vague promises, or totally ignored. I have become so fed up that I started a YouTube and Twitter account to show all of the pictures and videos I made documenting the problems I had. I doubt anyone will ever watch my videos, but at least it makes me feel a little better. This is the first video I have posted:
. I will be posting one a week for the next couple months.

Sorry you are going through this. I am an attorney so I am not terribly bothered by legal procedure, but anyone who does not deal with such on a daily basis must be extremely annoyed. Good luck.
You are not alone.