Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla mx buyback/return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since then I just keep either getting vague promises, or totally ignored. I have become so fed up that I started a YouTube and Twitter account to show all of the pictures and videos I made documenting the problems I had. I doubt anyone will ever watch my videos, but at least it makes me feel a little better. This is the first video I have posted: . I will be posting one a week for the next couple months.

Sorry you are going through this. I am an attorney so I am not terribly bothered by legal procedure, but anyone who does not deal with such on a daily basis must be extremely annoyed. Good luck.

Dude, that car is possessed!! ;)

Although this does not excuse what has happened to you, apparently those early builds had issues. While it sucks that they haven't delivered on the new car (not sure if the 3 months wait time has anything to do with it), at least they are replacing it for you. My guess is if you were willing to take one off the lot, they would have a harder time delaying this process.

Does this depend on if the car is leased?
IIRC, leases came with 90 day happiness guarantee. Is that still true, or true for Model X?

Happiness guarantee was discontinued. Even when it existed, it wasn't a good deal. You didn't get a refund on any money you spent (down payment and any monthly payments already remitted), just relief from the rest of your payments.

• Informative
Reactions: xborg
The X is my 3rd Tesla and I am a diehard Tesla Fan. However, I have had all of my door latches and motors replaced over the last month with 4 separate trips to the service center due to issues like yours. This is failure of the doors is unacceptable for a part that needs to worn EVERY time for the life of the car, not just during the warranty period.

Issues with the doors are considered dangerous from a lemon law perspective. What happens if you have a crash on the passenger side and can't get out of the doors on the drivers side due to malfunction (my doors physically would not open) of a component that is supposed to work every time. You only need to have 1 issue with a critical item like not being able to get out of your car to claim lemon law in most states. In addition most states say that if you car is in the service center for my than 30 days then they must replace buy back the car which typically includes all fees paid.

My MX was delivered last May, and I have had NUMEROUS problems with it. It has been back and forth to the Tesla store in Nashville, for a total of over 80 days in service. Despite being a massive Tesla and Elon fan, I finally had to threaten a lemon law claim because all of the service visits have definitely decreased the value of the vehicle. After threatening a lemon law claim, but begging for them to handle everything informally, I was contacted by Alberto Cortinas, some higher-up guy in Tesla, who assured me that Tesla will be replacing my vehicle.

That was over a month ago.

Since then I just keep either getting vague promises, or totally ignored. I have become so fed up that I started a YouTube and Twitter account to show all of the pictures and videos I made documenting the problems I had. I doubt anyone will ever watch my videos, but at least it makes me feel a little better. This is the first video I have posted:
. I will be posting one a week for the next couple months.

Sorry you are going through this. I am an attorney so I am not terribly bothered by legal procedure, but anyone who does not deal with such on a daily basis must be extremely annoyed. Good luck.

Anyone succesfully returned they a few days after delivery?

What do you have? I've been looking for an AP2 MX ;)

I have had all of my door latches and motors replaced over the last month with 4 separate trips to the service center due to issues like yours.

When you say motors, do you mean the drive motors? Or the door motors?

I'm curious if this is a problem that's only on PUP cars. Anyone have this happen on a non-PUP car?

What do you have? I've been looking for an AP2 MX ;)

When you say motors, do you mean the drive motors? Or the door motors?

I'm curious if this is a problem that's only on PUP cars. Anyone have this happen on a non-PUP car?
I'm pretty sure that he meant door motors.
And, PUP is irrelevant. Hardware is same, PUP just adds the auto present feature.

I'm pretty sure that he meant door motors.
And, PUP is irrelevant. Hardware is same, PUP just adds the auto present feature.

Which is why it might be relevant...

In order to present, it has to unlatch right? I'm not the most technical person, but I would imagine it there's 2 actions that would be necessary. One is to pull the handle if you will, unlatch the door. The second would be a motor to swing/pop it open.

If we can figure out if it's isolated to PUP cars or not, there may be some insight as to whether this is a pure hardware/latch issue. Where it's not correctly hooking and holding. Or potentially a software/trigger issue where conditions or a software bug is causing the door to release the motor. (Or a third, short circuit resulting in a trigger..)

Which is why it might be relevant...

In order to present, it has to unlatch right? I'm not the most technical person, but I would imagine it there's 2 actions that would be necessary. One is to pull the handle if you will, unlatch the door. The second would be a motor to swing/pop it open.

If we can figure out if it's isolated to PUP cars or not, there may be some insight as to whether this is a pure hardware/latch issue. Where it's not correctly hooking and holding. Or potentially a software/trigger issue where conditions or a software bug is causing the door to release the motor. (Or a third, short circuit resulting in a trigger..)
No, it is the same hardware. PUP just detects the key and auto presents the driver's door.
If you don't have pup, you can still open-close front doors using the main screen.

I got my Model X last month at the end of December, and I, too, have experienced a laundry list of problems one after the other. First on New Year's Day, the quarter glass of the driver's side falcon wing door just suddenly shattered upon closing. Then the driver's side second row seat started making a creaking sound and wouldn't move forward properly. Then the right rear tire suddenly lost air pressure, and we had a major blowout of the tire (never rolled over anything sharp). Tires are not under warranty, and so there goes another $300+ to replace it. Then it started beeping three times followed by sudden deceleration and acceleration. I documented all the dates and times this was happening and forwarded it to the Service Center technician who told me to get it on video next time. So I should carry a camcorder with me all the time while I'm driving and record my driving and hope that it happens again so I can catch it on video? My auto steer is not working after the updates. My wife and I just noticed last weekend that the windows on each side of the falcon wing doors are not mounted the same way, which explained why my kids were saying they could feel the air coming through a part of the falcon wing door. The streaming music started buzzing instead of playing music--wireless 3G issue? Navigation started to get stuck on search mode.

The Service Center is so swamped (we had a bunch of storms in Southern California these past few weeks, and so a power outage supposedly affected the SC in my area, which caused them to have to reschedule my appointment with them). So now I have to wait until Feb. 6 for a service appointment. I'm hoping and praying that the X will last until then and that no other issues will occur.

I am enjoying the vehicle when it fully functions but am very disappointed with all these issues. This never happened with the new gas-powered cars I've bought in the past.

I got my Model X last month at the end of December, and I, too, have experienced a laundry list of problems one after the other. First on New Year's Day, the quarter glass of the driver's side falcon wing door just suddenly shattered upon closing. Then the driver's side second row seat started making a creaking sound and wouldn't move forward properly. Then the right rear tire suddenly lost air pressure, and we had a major blowout of the tire (never rolled over anything sharp). Tires are not under warranty, and so there goes another $300+ to replace it. Then it started beeping three times followed by sudden deceleration and acceleration. I documented all the dates and times this was happening and forwarded it to the Service Center technician who told me to get it on video next time. So I should carry a camcorder with me all the time while I'm driving and record my driving and hope that it happens again so I can catch it on video? My auto steer is not working after the updates. My wife and I just noticed last weekend that the windows on each side of the falcon wing doors are not mounted the same way, which explained why my kids were saying they could feel the air coming through a part of the falcon wing door. The streaming music started buzzing instead of playing music--wireless 3G issue? Navigation started to get stuck on search mode.

The Service Center is so swamped (we had a bunch of storms in Southern California these past few weeks, and so a power outage supposedly affected the SC in my area, which caused them to have to reschedule my appointment with them). So now I have to wait until Feb. 6 for a service appointment. I'm hoping and praying that the X will last until then and that no other issues will occur.

I am enjoying the vehicle when it fully functions but am very disappointed with all these issues. This never happened with the new gas-powered cars I've bought in the past.

How can you blame a flat/blowout tire on tesla?

That sucks. Disappointing to hear that there are still cars coming out that have some major defects. Good luck.

Doors open randomly, or not all the way although there is room.
I had the issue with My MX on the passenger front door. Took it onto Service and they fixed it. Make a list and send it to your Service Center and they'll fix it. I also had one of the chrome section sticking out almost an inch. They tried to fix it. In the end ordered a new one and now looks good.

You'll have to schedule a visit to SC and if you schedule it ahead of time they'll give you a loner.

How can you blame a flat/blowout tire on tesla?

I've never had a flat tire on any of my newly purchased gas-powered cars until the tires got worn out, which was a few years later, or if the tire somehow got punctured by road hazard; rarely has it ever happened on a brand new tire. The Model X had less than 1K miles on it, and we had just picked it up earlier that week from the service center when the tire problem happened. Tesla doesn't warranty its tires on its cars.

I asked the service tech to check if anything punctured the tire to show why it suddenly lost tire pressure and blew out. No one checked. When I inspected the damage and when the guy who came out to give me the loaner tire inspected it before it was brought to the SC, he couldn't find any puncture area.

I really doubt that the tire blew because of a road hazard issue.

We found out from taking the car to get a replacement tire at America's Tire Co. that America's Tire will warranty those new tires for $93+ (at least that's what my wife tells me when she took the car in today). So we took the deal. If we had known that earlier, we would've done that to spare us from having to fork out $300+ to replace this tire.

So those new Model X or S purchasers, might want to check with your local America's Tire to see if it offers you the same deal.

Did anyone contacted Elon via twitter about these issues?
- late SC appointments
- parts
- quality
etc

Did he reply to any one?
I did not--for fear he might not sell me the Model 3 (hoping I'll have a better experience with that one).

I'm sticking with Tesla for now because of the free Supercharging for the Model X (though the Model 3 one would be a restricted amount for free).

I've never had a flat tire on any of my newly purchased gas-powered cars until the tires got worn out, which was a few years later, or if the tire somehow got punctured by road hazard; rarely has it ever happened on a brand new tire. The Model X had less than 1K miles on it, and we had just picked it up earlier that week from the service center when the tire problem happened. Tesla doesn't warranty its tires on its cars.

I asked the service tech to check if anything punctured the tire to show why it suddenly lost tire pressure and blew out. No one checked. When I inspected the damage and when the guy who came out to give me the loaner tire inspected it before it was brought to the SC, he couldn't find any puncture area.

I really doubt that the tire blew because of a road hazard issue

Tires do have warranties against manufacturing defects - even the ones you buy from Tesla. They are warrantied by the original manufacturer. That is what you need to claim against. I bought a brand new set of tires once from Costco. 1 month later had one completely blow out and shred due to some sort of manufacturing defect. Took the tire back and got it replaced for free.

I knew it wasn't a road puncture because it started making noises on my way into work. I thought it was my rear passenger door that wasn't shut tight, so I didn't think to check the tire (they were brand new, why check them?). No air pressure lost during the day at work, but on the way home it gave out. The tread separated and the whole thing shredded - luckily it made enough noise before it fully went that I had slowed down from freeway speeds and got to the side of the road.

I don't know if they are putting Michelins on X's, but here is the OEM tire warranty: http://media.michelinman.com/conten...in_PassengerLightTruck_Warranty_REV_10-16.pdf

Last edited: