Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla navigation map is now in grey scale - how do we change this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ancient TomTom used to allow me to pick several different colour schemes and apply them to day and night mode. I'm not surprised that Tesla might change the default option to one that works for a wider body of people. I am surprised that in a software based control system, they didn't make it optional, or even add other colourways.

So, does any know the REAL reason Tesla went with the grey maps ?
A good guess would be to improve download speed on poor connections.

I have only just got my MX, so never knew the coloured maps and personally have no trouble reading the greyscale map. Makes the route and traffic congestion stand out. There is also the satellite map as alternative if preferred.

But agreed, would be nice if Tesla gave people the choice in the settings, which BTW they could also with the nags with driver ticking to take full legal responsibility in case of accident if they turn nags off.

A good guess would be to improve download speed on poor connections.

I have only just got my MX, so never knew the coloured maps and personally have no trouble reading the greyscale map. Makes the route and traffic congestion stand out. There is also the satellite map as alternative if preferred.

But agreed, would be nice if Tesla gave people the choice in the settings, which BTW they could also with the nags with driver ticking to take full legal responsibility in case of accident if they turn nags off.
Color vs grayscale would have no bearing on download speeds now that Tesla is using vector maps.

Reactions: Logan5
I absolutely love the new greyscale maps. Just so much better than the older eye-soring version. They looked like something from the 90's. Much better now with the contrast between objects that is important to see (traffic, poi, etc).

Great job Tesla with the new maps. Wasn't a day too late to change.
Can however be a good thing to include an "old school mode" for those who like this. Please just don't get back to the old mode, that would really be a step backwards.

I absolutely love the new greyscale maps. Just so much better than the older eye-soring version. They looked like something from the 90's. Much better now with the contrast between objects that is important to see (traffic, poi, etc).

Great job Tesla with the new maps. Wasn't a day too late to change.
Can however be a good thing to include an "old school mode" for those who like this. Please just don't get back to the old mode, that would really be a step backwards.

It may “look” better as a piece of art, but it has lost utility as we lost color to convey information. I personally also prefer the blue and black darker night maps of the past to the now everything gray look.

Wish Tesla would allow us to customize the look of th map.

It's not fixed with V9. And even less colour. The traffic data now only shows the red. Not the green where traffic is moving normally.

I understand this might make it clearer on Satellite view but it is even more boring in non satellite view.
But more importantly, I used the green to tell me a road was not closed. Has helped in the past to navigate away from road closures.