Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Neo Gateway (GWY20) and 'DC Stage Fault' related?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread title is deliberate for future internet knowledge-seekers.

I just had an additional Powerwall 2 added to my existing system. This new Powerwall is throwing a DC Stage Fault error and is otherwise not doing anything. That's probably best left for another thread unless someone knows what it could mean (drop a PM or point me somewhere).

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 4.41.42 PM.png

I haven't attempted to go out and do the full reset. The installers have only said they'll reach out to Tesla to figure it out. I imagine I'm in a blackhole until I hear back. Bummed out to have an expensive device sitting out there, slowly draining. The other Powerwalls are still recharging and dispensing normally.

During troubleshooting, I noticed that my little Gateway box is showing solid white, but when connected to the Gateway it's reporting no connectivity and to check the connection. All looks good from my network and I don't have any odd firewall rules for this box, so I have no clue what's going on, or if it's connected to my issues with the newly-added Powerwall.

Thoughts, tips, lessons?

Okay, I figured out the GWY20 Neo Gateway issue. I had to set a static IP and associated information. Popped right up. All is well in the world. Now to figure out why the Powerwall is goofing with the above error.

Buried in the Tesla installation instructions are that the Gateway requires a static, reserved IP, as does every Neurio (if you have any) on the same SSID. This may explain why WiFi repeaters generally fail as the IP address shifts, unless those reserve fixed addresses. Not something that my installers caught on the first pass.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Kevrick
Buried in the Tesla installation instructions are that the Gateway requires a static, reserved IP, as does every Neurio (if you have any) on the same SSID. This may explain why WiFi repeaters generally fail as the IP address shifts, unless those reserve fixed addresses. Not something that my installers caught on the first pass.

All the best,

BG
Not trying to hijack this thread but i recently had CTs installed well after my initial install (long story). I do not see any Neurio's on my network. Is that uncommon?

CTs can be directly wired for a fair distance, so Neurios aren't needed in many cases. If possible, I think that you would be generally better off without them, as there are a bunch of components in a Neurio that could fail, but a CT is just a coil of wire and some ferrite or metal. The exceptions are going to be long runs of wire to CTs, when one runs the risk of electrical noise getting into the wires.

All the best,

BG

CTs can be directly wired for a fair distance, so Neurios aren't needed in many cases. If possible, I think that you would be generally better off without them, as there are a bunch of components in a Neurio that could fail, but a CT is just a coil of wire and some ferrite or metal. The exceptions are going to be long runs of wire to CTs, when one runs the risk of electrical noise getting into the wires.

All the best,

BG

Whew, I was like "wtf is a Neurio???"

It's like weep holes, You would never know what you don't have.

Trust mem a neurio isn't anything that one aspires to have unless you absolutely need it. I think of it as a truss for the Gateway, when the gateway is too far away to measure current by itself, and needs a little support in the power measuring department.

All it does is provide real time measurements of a remote current (power) source, or sink, and sends it out via WiFi. I would be much more positive about the gizmo if it had a decent WiFi transceiver.

All the best,

BG
cnet reviewed it awhile ago...
neurio-product-photos-1.jpg

So, is the suggestion to run cat5e/6 and direct connect?
Certainly if you have a Neurio connection to the GW it should be hardwired for reliability, especially if it is the PV generation CT's.

Otherwise, failure or reconfiguring of the wireless network can lead to the Neurio being offline and the system going into error mode .

Unfortunately the CT's that directly plug into the GW2 are rated for a maximum of 100A, so if you have a need for 200A CT's then you are stuck with the neurio version. Interestingly, the latest batch are branded "Generac"

• Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder
I don't I have those, just verified. It also wouldn't explain the "DC Stage Fault" --I can't find any reference to this error code in any available documentation. I can only assume the install was incorrect :(

Problem resolved. If someone comes across this issue, the problem is a subset of PWs that run into this issue when commissioning occurs. Installer can have Tesla manually push an update to correct the problem. Installer told me it’s been a common issue since new installs from December on. Easy fix but annoying having to wait.