Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer sells CPO, they sell "used cars"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They replace the factory warranty with a 2 or 4 year CPO warranty.

They recently made changes to CPO warranty coverage to exclude squeaks and rattles so while pretty comprehensive, it's not as good as the factory warranty.
Man that sucks. Just read the exclusions, "General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration"

Definitely a perk of my last CPO experience as I had some annoying rattles in my rear hatch and seats. Perhaps you can sweet talk your service advisor into fixing a bad rattle.

Can you please point me to the squeaks and rattle part? For a premium automaker -it shouldn't be hard/expensive to fix that. That's sad - but I'm still feeling good about buying used car. I actually didnt get a copy of warranty on pickup. Found it "General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and"

Isn't it great how they exclude squeaks and rattles from the CPO warranty but would not offer you the opportunity to test drive the car? :rolleyes:

So in order for you to buy a car with squeaks and rattles that you find out after you buy the car they will not fix under the CPO warranty, you have to first buy the car :p

my guess is that your experience will vary from SC to SC. some advisors will probably goodwill it for you. and seriously, if it's a used car with 3 years/30,000 miles, why wouldn't squeaks and rattles be included from the original warranty up to 50k/4yrs. that's just wrong.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I just started my search for a Model S and I had no idea they were no longer "certified". I guess i'm confused by the lingo, because some of the cars are backed by a 2 year or a 4 year Tesla warranty. If Tesla is backing the car with a warranty, wouldn't that make it "certified"? Is this not a bumper to bumper warranty? Looks like I need to spend more time reading the fine print.

I just started my search for a Model S and I had no idea they were no longer "certified". I guess i'm confused by the lingo, because some of the cars are backed by a 2 year or a 4 year Tesla warranty. If Tesla is backing the car with a warranty, wouldn't that make it "certified"? Is this not a bumper to bumper warranty? Looks like I need to spend more time reading the fine print.
Yes it is true they come with either a two or four year warranty but they dont do any reconditioning anymore. So all their cars are sold as is.

You still get essentially the "CPO Warranty" for 2 or 4 years but there are no grantees about the condition of the car.

You could get a car all beaten up/trashed with dents and scratches or you could get one in decent shape. The most important thing is to not pay for the car before you inspect it in person and satisfied with the condition of the car because they've made buying a car into a crapshoot.

At the end of the day, when you buy used from Tesla, you are now just essentially buying the 2/4 year warranty. While that was always the most important piece of the puzzle, it used to mean that you at least had a chance of getting cars that were a little more "cream of the crop", but such is no longer the case. At the end of the day, you just need to place a dollar value on the warranty (call it $4-$6k for fun) and cross-shop against other used cars in the market place with that in mind.