Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer sells CPO, they sell "used cars"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with the sales representative from Tesla, and he informed me that they (sales team) has been instructed to use the word "used car" and not "certified pre-owned". The cars are NOT CERTIFIED. They are ONLY INSPECTED for mechanical issues. The buyers should not expect any kind of cleaning/detailing or fixing of cosmetic defects.

This is a surprise for a car company which is selling super expensive cars.

Just spoke with the sales representative from Tesla, and he informed me that they (sales team) has been instructed to use the word "used car" and not "certified pre-owned". The cars are NOT CERTIFIED. They are ONLY INSPECTED for mechanical issues. The buyers should not expect any kind of cleaning/detailing or fixing of cosmetic defects.

You actually started a thread for this reason?, this is old news.

Elon announced this, what, a year ago? :D

Yeah, and it wasn't even an announcement and it was well over a year ago. It was one of his late night tweets asking what is 'certified' anyway, and from here on out, we will just call them 'new' and 'used' cars instead of 'CPO' and 'Inventory'. When the Tesla employees got to work the next day, it was a mad fury of changing every instance of 'CPO' to 'Used' and 'Inventory' to 'New' on the Tesla website.

But the change to no longer refurbish the 'Used' cars happened about six months ago and now they only get a 'mechanical inspection', while every other upscale car maker still offers actual 'CPO' cars.

Some time ago, Tesla offered CPO cars that were completely gone over, making them as close to new as possible. Seats with a little wear were replaced with new, most of the running updates were installed, fresh tires put on, brake pads replaced, etc. They were then buffed and polished to a high standard of detailing.

Lots of buyers began to post of how much money they saved by buying used, but the cars were in like new condition.

When Tesla reaized how much money they were spending and how it was causing people to cancel new Tesla orders they put a stop to it. Now they just clean up the cars a bit and do a safety check. They will send you pictures of the car you are interested and set a price. It is up to each individual to decide if it is the right car for them.

Not as good a deal as before, but perhaps more realistic.

Some time ago, Tesla offered CPO cars that were completely gone over, making them as close to new as possible. Seats with a little wear were replaced with new, most of the running updates were installed, fresh tires put on, brake pads replaced, etc. They were then buffed and polished to a high standard of detailing.

Lots of buyers began to post of how much money they saved by buying used, but the cars were in like new condition.

When Tesla reaized how much money they were spending and how it was causing people to cancel new Tesla orders they put a stop to it. Now they just clean up the cars a bit and do a safety check. They will send you pictures of the car you are interested and set a price. It is up to each individual to decide if it is the right car for them.

Not as good a deal as before, but perhaps more realistic.

This makes sense. All the Model S prices I have seen so far are priced aggressively. I am disappointed in the pictures they share of used cars - a top technology company doesn't have an iPhone quality cameras to take pictures? This is ridiculous

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
This makes sense. All the Model S prices I have seen so far are priced aggressively. I am disappointed in the pictures they share of used cars - a top technology company doesn't have an iPhone quality cameras to take pictures? This is ridiculous

Yes, Tesla runs one of the worst used car buying experiences now. You aren't allowed to test drive the car, you only get crappy cell phone pics of the condition, and trying to inspect the car in person is difficult. Yet, you are expected to put down a deposit sight unseen.

I bought two CPOs under the old program, but will not be buying a used Tesla from Tesla when we are ready to get a new-to-us Model S.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18

I'm sure many would agree with your assessment.

Maybe they are running a social experiment to see how badly they can treat someone buying a used car for over $50K. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and it wasn't even an announcement and it was well over a year ago. It was one of his late night tweets asking what is 'certified' anyway, and from here on out, we will just call them 'new' and 'used' cars instead of 'CPO' and 'Inventory'. When the Tesla employees got to work the next day, it was a mad fury of changing every instance of 'CPO' to 'Used' and 'Inventory' to 'New' on the Tesla website.

But the change to no longer refurbish the 'Used' cars happened about six months ago and now they only get a 'mechanical inspection', while every other upscale car maker still offers actual 'CPO' cars.

What's the point in driving home the used car you just bout for $65,000 when you can instead drive it straight to a body shop to fix all the damage :p

It's ironic how no premium car dealer would sell cars in such awful condition given how "bad" car dealers are. Tesla has somehow managed to sink below car dealers with how they treat customers buying used cars.

Correct. The rest of the world still, for convenience and habit, calls them CPOs.

By continuing to call Tesla used cars CPO, I think the rest of the world is still holding out hope that Tesla will once again sell cars in a reasonable way, treating customers at least as well as all those supposedly "bad" car dealers... :rolleyes:

I was looking at a car on the SF showroom, and the sales person mentioned it as "inventory", the car has 142 miles.

What does this mean exactly? Can I still get full tax credit on it?
yes. inventory is considered new and never titled. tax credit can still be claimed. some inventory cars have 50 miles (cancelled orders), others may have thousands of miles.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Can you please point me to the squeaks and rattle part? For a premium automaker -it shouldn't be hard/expensive to fix that. That's sad - but I'm still feeling good about buying used car. I actually didnt get a copy of warranty on pickup. Found it "General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and"

Last edited: