Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offers $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will now offer a computer hardware update for older versions of the Model S and Model X that will improve the infotainment system.

Owners of Model S and Model X vehicles built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an “Infotainment Upgrade,” Tesla said in a blog post. The $2,500 upgrade will give owners access to features like video streaming, Tesla Arcade features, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-03-at-9.59.24-PM.png

Tesla says eligible owners will be invited by email to schedule an appointment to purchase and install the upgrade.

It’s great news for owners for older Tesla vehicles that will bring their infotainment systems up to date with a brand new car. It also bodes well for the Model S and Model X resale value.

Image: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there TMC, just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is applicable to 2016 P90D. I don't see it in the app when I click upgrades, and I don't see it as an option in the model x section of accessories.
TIA

It is not an upgrade in the upgrade part of the app. You schedule it through a service appointment in the app. But not sure they are doing HW2.0 cars yet or not. My is (was) HW2.5.

Hi there TMC, just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is applicable to 2016 P90D. I don't see it in the app when I click upgrades, and I don't see it as an option in the model x section of accessories.
TIA
This should give you a sense of the effort involved in replacing the MCU alone. This upgrade includes both the MCU and IC being replaced from what I understand (plus the FSD computer assuming you have FSD and are getting the HW3 upgrade concurrently). So it's a fair bit of work.

TIA
Depending on when in 2016 your car was built. If is was early 2016, it would have AP1 Autopilot 1 which is a single camera version that can have only the MCU upgraded. Cars produced after Mid October have AP2-AutoPilot 2 which has 8 cameras. Look at the blinker/repeater on your under, if is is flat and shiny, it is AP1, if it has a raised are with a camera, it is AP2 and you can get the MCU and if Full Self Driving is purchased, you get an additional hardware upgrade. For your car it may still be awhile until it is available. Your original MCU will eventually fail, to replace it with MCU1 it is around $1500, to upgrade to MCU2, it is around $2500 and the failure of the chip should take much longer.

Has anyone received an invite for this upgrade?
(Despite the circumstances I understand)
I have and then it was cancelled. They ran out of the upgrades and was then on back order, told me to reschedule for a month later and they should be caught up again... I haven't bothered yet. Now with things as they are, not sure I will try again until the fall.