Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our Tesla for two weeks now. Very happy. Considering getting rid of our ICE vehicle and going only Tessa. We are retired, but will be traveling a couple of times a year and doing 2000 miles round trip. Are we crazy to have only a Tesla?

Reactions: hiroshiy
You are seriously asking that question here? :D

We plan to have only Teslas soon. If the long drive becomes a concern, and don't need the car for a long time on the other end, you can always fly or rent a car.

Put about 12k miles on my Model X in the 8 months I've owned it. We take delivery of the wife's Model 3 in about 2 weeks.

Had no issue with long trips in the Model X so far and even if we did, we could rent a car if the trip required it.

There are people with driving requirements that don't make sense to have only an EV, but they're in the minority and it should be pretty easy to determine if you're one of them.

You are seriously asking that question here? :D

We plan to have only Teslas soon. If the long drive becomes a concern, and don't need the car for a long time on the other end, you can always fly or rent a car.
Thanks for the feedback. Just needed someone to confirm we weren't crazy. We love the X and fight over who gets to drive it.

We have ordered our Model X, coming in June. I am also dropping from 2 cars down to one. Our second car was a 2001, primarily kept because it has a trailer hitch - which of course the Model X can handle, and good to have a spare car - just in case. Before I pulled the trigger I did look at the possible longer trips to family, friends, and possible someday vacations spots, and seems that it is possible to get to all of those places (assuming they are near the main roads ) - using the supercharger systems. Forth Worth, TX to Atlanta, Montana, Yellowstone, Florida, Lexington, San Diego etc. It is good however to hear that people have actually done these longer trips. Of the four places I go to in Texas itself, three are coved via Superchargers, one I can get there, but need to figure out some place to recharge when I get there - I think.

We have had our Tesla for two weeks now. Very happy. Considering getting rid of our ICE vehicle and going only Tessa. We are retired, but will be traveling a couple of times a year and doing 2000 miles round trip. Are we crazy to have only a Tesla?

No, that's exactly what happend to me. We liked our so much, we went from no Teslas to only Teslas in half a year. It's been about 2 years and no regrets.

It is good however to hear that people have actually done these longer trips.
In February, I just did a 5,332 mile trip from Boise to Michigan and back in 11 days. On the way out, I took I-70, and then on the way home, I took the southern route along I-44 to I-40. I didn't even have to plan it, since the Supercharger network has such great coverage. I would just get up in the morning, look at the map of about how far I wanted to go that day and book an AirBNB in that city where I would stop.

Another one who's done some long trips in an X. My wife and I drove out to Jackson WY, then down to Mammoth Lakes CA, and back to Seattle last June. Then I drove to Reno and back in early January. Can you cover as much ground as you can in an ICE car with an iron bladder? Nope. The drive is much more pleasant with Supercharger stops though!

Ironically, we still have an ICE car, but it's only use is as my wife's commuter. I'm trying to get her into an EV but she still remembers standing in line during the oil embargo so is hesitant to be tied to one "fuel source". She also uses the excuse that she fears an attack on our electric grid. Yes, I'm trying to spin that into a good reason for solar and a powerwall! :p;)

Another one who's done some long trips in an X. My wife and I drove out to Jackson WY, then down to Mammoth Lakes CA, and back to Seattle last June. Then I drove to Reno and back in early January. Can you cover as much ground as you can in an ICE car with an iron bladder? Nope. The drive is much more pleasant with Supercharger stops though!

Ironically, we still have an ICE car, but it's only use is as my wife's commuter. I'm trying to get her into an EV but she still remembers standing in line during the oil embargo so is hesitant to be tied to one "fuel source". She also uses the excuse that she fears an attack on our electric grid. Yes, I'm trying to spin that into a good reason for solar and a powerwall! :p;)

Maybe you can sell her on an i3 REx? Or a home generator... (Though of course the Powerwall and solar approach is better overall, for more money.)

First off i love my model S , but it does not cut it in the winter in cold climate where range is greatly reduced, even with seats heated the car never feels warm like ICE (heat from engine), clearance is issue with snow covered roads...with all the potholes in the northeast i can already feel the suspension giving out on my S

I am keeping my gas guzzling 8 cyl Toyota 4rumer until we have a comparable EV truck body .. you need a truck body for certain use cases so I still need and ICE truck

NO. Unless you plan to do a lot of very back country, camping the SuperCharger network is quite usable. And I should say that is our plan.

First off i love my model S , but it does not cut it in the winter in cold climate where range is greatly reduced, even with seats heated the car never feels warm like ICE (heat from engine), clearance is issue with snow covered roads...with all the potholes in the northeast i can already feel the suspension giving out on my S

I am keeping my gas guzzling 8 cyl Toyota 4rumer until we have a comparable EV truck body .. you need a truck body for certain use cases so I still need and ICE truck

Huh. I would have said the exact opposite - my X is by far the best winter driving experience I've had, more pleasant and more capable than past cars.

Battery usage does go way up, of course, especially at the start of a drive before the cabin and pack are warm.

Huh. I would have said the exact opposite - my X is by far the best winter driving experience I've had, more pleasant and more capable than past cars.

Battery usage does go way up, of course, especially at the start of a drive before the cabin and pack are warm.
i dont have an X I have an S .... i dont know about the clearance on he X but i can crawl under my 4 runner.... so deep snow is no problem the S clearance is quite small so the roads need to clear as far as i am concerned plus i dont want to wreck a $80 K car in the snow and ice

i dont have an X I have an S .... i dont know about the clearance on he X but i can crawl under my 4 runner.... so deep snow is no problem the S clearance is quite small so the roads need to clear as far as i am concerned plus i dont want to wreck a $80 K car in the snow and ice

Your life, your money and your choices, as always - but how often do you really need to drive unplowed roads with 6" or more of snow in the NYC area?

I spent the decade and a half before buying the X in passenger cars that were mostly lower than the S (and without air suspension,) and never had a problem with snow depth in Delaware and PA.

We have 2 Tesla’s and still have our F-150, we would have a Tesla truck if they made one. The good thing is I only drive the truck 1000 miles a year but I’m always surprised at the cost of gas when I need some every couple of months. Here is California it is at 3.79 for regular.

Your life, your money and your choices, as always - but how often do you really need to drive unplowed roads with 6" or more of snow in the NYC area?

I spent the decade and a half before buying the X in passenger cars that were mostly lower than the S (and without air suspension,) and never had a problem with snow depth in Delaware and PA.

ok... i thought the question was "Tesla only" ? Am I the only one on this site who disagrees ...hard to believe that...as i get ready to pick up my almost 1 year old Model S from the service center later today

• Rear view camera defective/replaced
  • frunk release defective/replaced
  • side view mirrors both sides, opening intermittently- not lubricated properly on assembly

I for one want to give folks on this site good info ... not rose colored glasses assessments

Now if I only had 1 vehicle then yes I can agree "Tesla only" and then I would have to take my chances in winter.
If I lived in SF, LA , Florida then yes "Tesla only "

I agree we don't have 6" of snow that often; however as I think about this further it is more about possibly wrecking an expensive vehicle in the snow... this point is not about the handling in the snow ... it is more about damage potential in the snow ...

And i will reiterate my point about a truck body .... potholes and crappy roads destroy car body suspensions... my son lives in Philly and they have similar crappy roads as NY/NJ so I assume you may be familiar with the type of roads i am pointing out in Del/PA

For me "Tesla only" does not work at this point ... i feel more comfortable in truck in the winter and considering the crappy roads which we have a lot of in NJ/NYC "Tesla only" does not work for me

I think contributors on this site should give folks interested in Tesla vehicles a fair comparison ...Tesla does not cover every use case

when Musk Co comes out with a high clearance 4WD truck body that has a range of at least 400 miles then i am "Tesla Only" ;)

sorry for the rant fan-boys my Model S has me in a bad mood today

In December returning from a ski resort we drove through the worst snow storm in Pennsylvania‘s history. More tha 60 inches of snow in two days! This was such an adventure. All I can say we were so happy we were in our Model S! It handled amazingly! We are planning to go Tesla only in the next few months.

Last edited: