Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose Tesla have done an assessment on potential impact on customers going elsewhere. They probably don’t care much. Can’t build them quick enough.

I would certainly consider non Tesla for my next car. Whereas currently I wouldn’t. Because of superchargers

Exactly my position.

Happy with my Model 3. Model Y arriving in May/June to replace it. But the supercharger network is a big part of that buying decision and I would certainly consider alternatives if it opened up to all other EVs. Mind you, Id probably have to wait a year for any other EV brand so I’ll likely stick with the Model Y.

Reactions: roadcred
I rarely use the SuC network, and I'm fortunate to have a drive and charge from home.

My main reason for going with Tesla was because of the SuC. I didn't want to faf around trying to charge if/when we go on long journeys.

It's inevitable that the chargers will be open to all at some point.

If it does happen then I don't think my next EV will be a Tesla.

Reactions: roadcred and Wol747
While I understand people being uncomfortable with the idea of the network opening to other cars, I would suggest you need to take a step back and see how if Tesla didn't do this the network would become more of a liability than a benefit.

In the UK the Government is removing the exclusivity deals and encouraging multiple networks to set up charging at Service Stations, and doing work with the grid to ensure that suitable power is going to be available. In order to be part of this Tesla at least need to be seen as being an open network. If Tesla remained closed as today they simply wouldn't get the opportunities to open new sites, and as sales continue to boom there just wouldn't be capacity at existing SuC, almost certainly a worse future than we have today.

We don't know which SuC will be opened, but I would suggest it's not going to be the existing heavily used sites. It'll be some of the new sites at shopping centers, that large one in Reading that's regularly underwater, and then new sites that are built at Service Stations that will be built with far more bays than we are used to, built with capacity for other cars to use them.

I also don't really buy into the theory that all the spaces will be blocked by other makes of car with different charge port recommendations. While at quiet times I can imagine some creative solutions, once a site gets busy it's simply not going to be viable for someone to wait for a pair of spaces next to each other. They will give up and go to the other chargers that fit them better, remember Tesla won't be exclusive at these new Service Stations sites. We don't want Tesla to make adaptions to allow all cars, we don't really want them, but we need the 'public' status to allow access to new sites.

My prediction is that this move simply ensures that the SuperCharger network grows in numbers and convenience, large installations at more and more stops.

l
In the UK the Government is removing the exclusivity deals and encouraging multiple networks to set up charging at Service Stations, and doing work with the grid to ensure that suitable power is going to be available. In order to be part of this Tesla at least need to be seen as being an open network.

This is exactly why Tesla is acutally been really clever with their signalling and messages on this.

The limitations of SC expansion isn't cost constrained from Tesla, its ccess to the grid, and like it or not the government will have the final say in how easy or hard that is.

Been seen as a 'proactive' DC rapid charger provider will effectively be pushing against an open door for new SC sites. Dig your heals in and throwing a tantrum will simply see you not just side lined and regulated to the back of the queue.

The sooner Tesla gets a move on with doing what they need for better grid access and therefore easier SC site installations the better it is for everyone who owns an EV.

I way I read the article, it seems the the Electrifying.com CEO may be jumping to conclusions.....if you look at the quote from the Junior Minster, she says the move "could come within weeks and months rather than years"......yet later in the article, the CEO states "There will be a large number of electric car drivers who will be overjoyed that they will be able to use the Supercharger network at last - and within weeks."

I think it's a bit of jump to claim that the network will be opened up "within weeks" when the Minister only said "could" rather than would.

We'll get an official announcement from Tesla in due course so I'm waiting for that rather than a line from a Minister. My hunch is that Tesla may start some limited trials at specific locations (as in the Netherlands) to show Government they are opening up the network without really opening it up. I really can't see Superchargers being opened up to all in one big bang and risking undermining Tesla's USP (although if they did and charged £1 per KwH to non-Tesla ownders, it might not be an issue after all).

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I haven't read anything other than the last couple of pages of this thread so this will have been covered but my take on this is that many historic Tesla buyers purchased with a view to gaining access to the heavily advertised exclusive use (and free for me) SuC network. What would interest me would be if anyone has produced a timeline of Tesla's/Elon's informal representations about the exclusive use SuC network and also how their T+Cs have changed over the years? My point being that while opening the network might well be a greater good it will devalue our assets as Tesla owners and potentially provide us with a massively degraded charging experience to boot. I for one would be interested in a class action for compensation

….

We don't know which SuC will be opened, but I would suggest it's not going to be the existing heavily used sites. It'll be some of the new sites at shopping centers, that large one in Reading that's regularly underwater, and then new sites that are built at Service Stations that will be built with far more bays than we are used to, built with capacity for other cars to use them.

….
Except that’s exactly what they did in the European countries where they were trialing it. Opened the whole network up, leaving owners to deal with issues with congestion and bay etiquette etc.

I would expect the UK to be the same, why wouldn’t it be?

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57
Except that’s exactly what they did in the European countries where they were trialing it. Opened the whole network up, leaving owners to deal with issues with congestion and bay etiquette etc.

Simply not true, only a subset of SuC in France and Norway have been opened to non-Tesla. All the Chargers in the Netherlands were opened.

Was this the case? What I’ve seen in France was some of the smaller sites opening. Such as the Saint-Saturnin site there’s the 8x150kw chargers open to anyone but the 20x250kw chargers are Tesla only.

I seem to recall the U.K. gov declared that all new high power / rapid chargers needed to be contactless from about 2019, the Tesla system is a closed, single brand network and so escaped it. If they open it up then surely that changes the game and they’d have a problem and so couldn’t quickly anyway?

Was this the case? What I’ve seen in France was some of the smaller sites opening. Such as the Saint-Saturnin site there’s the 8x150kw chargers open to anyone but the 20x250kw chargers are Tesla only.
1648673096116.png

Reactions: delta0