Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read anything other than the last couple of pages of this thread so this will have been covered but my take on this is that many historic Tesla buyers purchased with a view to gaining access to the heavily advertised exclusive use (and free for me) SuC network. What would interest me would be if anyone has produced a timeline of Tesla's/Elon's informal representations about the exclusive use SuC network and also how their T+Cs have changed over the years? My point being that while opening the network might well be a greater good it will devalue our assets as Tesla owners and potentially provide us with a massively degraded charging experience to boot. I for one would be interested in a class action for compensation
You have nothing, because there was nothing Tesla legally owes you in terms of how they decide to expand their Supercharger network.

Tesla has long said they intend to open the network to other automakers, as long as they pitch into the costs. If the governments are doing this in some way for Tesla opening their stations to other automakers, whether it be in direct monetary subsidies, aid in terms of sites, or getting an exemption from certain requirements they otherwise would have to follow, I think this would be acceptable to Tesla.
Here's something from 2015:
Elon Musk: Tesla is in talks with other automakers about sharing the SuperCharger network (UPDATED) - Charged EVs

Last edited:
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I don't have any objections in principle to opening up the network. It's inevitable. I just wish they would apply some intelligence to it and refit the sites they are going to choose with appropriate cabling to accommodate other cars' charge port locations.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think they've done that at any site where they've started rolling this out. The thought of cars parking sideways across bays, or the next door bay being rendered useless is the thing that concerns me most about this scheme. From a data collection pov, Tesla might look at utilisation on an open site and think "Oh, there are bays free. This is working out great."

Most likely will charge more for non tesla users

The initial Dutch trial did require all non-Tesla users to use the Tesla App to initiate charge and to have a funding source in their required Tesla Account to pay for the charge.

The power tariff was higher than Tesla owners but by paying a nominal monthly fee (15 Euros ??) they could get Tesla owner rates.

I'm presuming they won't open all the Supercharger sites but those that are chosen will be the larger sites with more stalls and not the ones with four or fewer stalls.

If there will be some "Tesla only" stalls at a large location that would be fine if they are clearly marked as Tesla Only - or better still add a marker for stalls allowing non-Tesla owners.

Most likely will charge more for non tesla users
I've said it before, but again: it would further the cause of electrification if all chargers were available to all cars. However, the Tesla network is Tesla's huge advantage to its drivers, and opening it to all would probably make buying a Tesla far less of a no-brainer.
If the chargers were open to all for emergency use, by charging say $2 per Kwh the network would still ensure no-one need be out out of gas but still keep most people away in other cars.

While opening the network up seems inevitable to fuel investment in expanding the network, Tesla will hopefully try to keep some form of differentiation / benefit for Tesla owners using Tesla superchargers. Either via pricing or keeping some locations as exclusive.

From a pricing perspective, perhaps a bit like the Ionity charging network, as an example.
- Ionity Direct is a high 69p per kWh
- Ionity Passport is a more reasonable 35p per kWh but requires a monthly £16.99 subscription.

Tesla could offer non Tesla owners a similar pricing structure while providing the “passport” level pricing for Tesla owners but with no monthly subscription.

Or something like that. Would seems a reasonable compromise to me.

I'm thinking that it's still relatively early days for Tesla to decide the detail of how this can be implemented most successfully. Especially any hardware changes. It may also be different in different countries. I don't think there's much evidence to suggest they are just going to open up everything with no changes or planning. Account management with differential pricing would surely be essential. I have the same concerns as everyone else regarding positioning, slow charging of some models etc. I'm hoping that Tesla is gathering data from the present partial opening so that a plan that minimises the problems for Tesla drivers can be put in place. No matter what happens it looks like a challenging time coming up.

Looking at the Tesla map, having had a limited trial initially, it looks like all the supercharger sites are now open to non Teslas in the Netherlands.
But most of the sites in NL are very large (24/32 stalls). The size and distribution of them there is quite different to what we have in the UK, so I don't think we'll find it's going to be opened up in the same way here.

• Informative
Reactions: JupiterMan
They definitely are - this happened a few weeks ago.
About 6 weeks ago. I've yet to see any significantly credible stories about issues happening at SuperChargers in the Netherlands. If you look at France and Norway it's a subset of the larger sites that have been made open to all, again without any great stories of disasters.

It should also be added that the Netherlands has the largest number of EV chargers of any EU country, 75K about 3x more than we have in the UK for a population that's less than a third. They did a trial first at 10 sites then stepped it up.

Anyone seen any actual issues in any of these countries being reported?

I've not seen any reports of Tesla doing anything to fix the issues with charge cables not being long enough to reach the charge port (depending upon the car) etc. Unless I've missed them, which is possible.

I'm surprised the trial rollout continues without actually trialing solutions. This does make me rather cynical about it.

For me personally this will be a massive shame. Its the main reason I went with the M3 in the end. If I end up getting blocked/waiting for other EV's to finish on Super Chargers, I'll probably think twice about buying another one. Tesla lose out in the end.

Reactions: candida
I've not seen any reports of Tesla doing anything to fix the issues with charge cables not being long enough to reach the charge port (depending upon the car) etc. Unless I've missed them, which is possible.

I'm surprised the trial rollout continues without actually trialing solutions. This does make me rather cynical about it.

That kind of makes Tesla users happy as it assumes that, charge-port permitting, any car can use the short-pipe charging Tesla stalls. There's no need to modify them. Anyone with the "wrong placed charge port" simply can't use the Tesla charger - so a few less models can "steal" 'our' chargers ;)

Reactions: GRiLLA

Maybe with new locations they’ll fit chargers with parking both sides of the chargers, one side marked for Tesla & the other side marked for other makes with different charge port locations. Road marking paint doesn’t tend to get nicked but charge cables do, make them longer then they’re more valuable to the light fingered fraternity.

That kind of makes Tesla users happy as it assumes that, charge-port permitting, any car can use the short-pipe charging Tesla stalls. There's no need to modify them. Anyone with the "wrong placed charge port" simply can't use the Tesla charger - so a few less models can "steal" 'our' chargers ;)
Or they just park over 2 bays instead which is more likely in modern society. I’m alright Jack crowd is getting larger by the day.

Reactions: VX Foxy