Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some drama at the Cardiff superchargers this morning. An older gentleman in a Model S took offense to a Polestar 2 driver using one of the chargers, to the point where he went over and asked him "what he thought he was doing". Polestar owner tried to explain that its been opened up, etc etc. but he was having none of it. Ended up having to diffuse the situation and show the Model S owner the info on the Tesla website (and via the app) but he wasn't happy at all. Dumb thing was there were only 3 of us there so plenty of stalls available.
I remember when as Model 3 owners we were accused of dropping the standard at SuperChargers, and clearly likely to be responsible for littering etc. Fear the 'older' Model S owners, probably with free SuperCharging and spending over an hour charging their throttled batteries.

Some drama at the Cardiff superchargers this morning. An older gentleman in a Model S took offense to a Polestar 2 driver using one of the chargers, to the point where he went over and asked him "what he thought he was doing". Polestar owner tried to explain that its been opened up, etc etc. but he was having none of it. Ended up having to diffuse the situation and show the Model S owner the info on the Tesla website (and via the app) but he wasn't happy at all. Dumb thing was there were only 3 of us there so plenty of stalls available.
😹😹😹😹

IMG_20220519_185918.jpg

I have a MIC M3 (cost around £43000) with build quality not as bad as the early Fremont ones but if you compare the build quality and materials and ride with the Audi Q4etron (more or less same price bracket but a hatchback version - the base model) it is no way near. As I mentioned in my other post I’ll give the battery tech & the shell £20000, AI another £10000, other luxuries around £6000-8000. The rest I pay for the charging network. Now if everything is equal (my local super charger is one among the 15 which I am not happy with) I would expect Tesla to reduce the price so that we are not disadvantaged!
If you're comparing with the base model Q4, it has half the range of the M3 for the same price, and you don't even get cruise control or a rear camera at this price...

Tesla clearly didn't think this through.

On the 'test' sites, they should of changed out the charger cables and extending by a few meters making it compatible for all cars so other EV's can park in the correct space without blocking 2-3 bays.

You can clock the seething sense of entitlement and resentment on here amongst a few, so I'd expect this to be quite a common occurence for months to come.

We just need to get one-like-him permanently stationed at each Supercharger :)

... I'll get my coat

But this is Economy to First class upgrade

My example was indeed for Business Class to First but, back then, BA gave me all sorts of upgrades. On one occasion a bog standard trans Atlantic economy fare to Concorde. But ...

I don't consider that £10K of the price is baked-in for Supercharger, but some part of it is, or was back when it was "free". Pretty sure initially, when Supercharger was a separate paid-for option, it was a couple of $thousand though ... not £10K.

Either way, I'm (personally) not bothered to enumerate the amount. I was an early adopter and I had loads of benefit from the fact that Supercharger was so much better-than-the-rest. What we need now is Rapid Charging as-good-as-it-can-be and widespread. I found the recent Fully Charged on "How Norway KILLED the Petrol Car" interesting. The number of rapid-chargers-per-EV is icnreasing there, whereas here more EVs are being sold compared to the rate of Rapid charger rollout. One comment in particular about areas where Norway has started to reduce state-support for EVs (only now when pure ICE sales are < 10% of new cars) - where EVs previously had a free ride (such as tolls and parking), and where ICE got corresponding "penalties", now EV is only getting a "rebate" on part of the fee - but still getting some incentive. The point was made that EV sales in UK are not-very-much-% yet, but already the government has started rolling back subsidies ...

Tesla won’t be able to tell remotely if multiple stalls are being blocked by non Tesla’s trying to connect with the short cable. In fact, the stalls blocked will just show as not in use. So Tesla will think the site is under utilised. If this will be a problem at all. I suspect it will be given the very limited position of the unit and cable.

As this is app controlled, it would of made far more sense for Tesla to require users to say which car they are using and the app would advise if the car was compatible with the very specific Tesla arrangement.

ATM they don't ask what car you are driving, you just enter your payment info and select your desired stall.
And even if they did ask, as they cannot communicate with another car via the charging port, they cannot enforce/check this, so you could select anything you want. Not feasible in my opinion. Only option would be CCTV everywhere and PCN enforcement, but that looks very un-Tesla mindset to me.
CCS, last time I read the spec, does support plug and charge, with secure authorisation directly via the car with no human involvement, other than plugging in. So there is likely to be some information Tesla can get from the car that maybe useful to them for this trial even if not using plug and charge as per ISO 15118. Something like a PID/VID might be in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkThisDay

It would have been a good idea for Tesla to email us to let us know! It's only because we look at this forum that we knew the opening up has started. Also I don't think I've seen anything in the national press yet.

Taycan will plug in fine - two options - use three bays and go in sideways (CrabMode), or bring a pair of ramps so you can pull the car forward over the kerbs between the Superchargers so the cable will reach.
A Mini will work ok but you need to turn it on it's roof so the port is on the correct side. BMW will be fitting carry handles as an option on '23 models.
Shame there isn't an option to spec a 'swapover' config - with the CCS port on the (UK) drivers side or indeed make both ports on the car CCS - then they could be daisy chained (kidding)

I remember when as Model 3 owners we were accused of dropping the standard at SuperChargers, and clearly likely to be responsible for littering etc. Fear the 'older' Model S owners, probably with free SuperCharging and spending over an hour charging their throttled batteries.
Yeah ff it wasn't for folks stumping up for roadsters, model S / X then there would be no 3 or Y. Be thankful 🤪

It would have been a good idea for Tesla to email us to let us know! It's only because we look at this forum that we knew the opening up has started. Also I don't think I've seen anything in the national press yet.
Maybe a email to their valued customers might of been a good idea
they did yesterday, check your app
Should of been a week before at least